+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Harbaugh could be on the way out too

Hearing now that Harbaugh's Ravens are playing for his job as well. He's got the balance of the season to get his team to play better football.

I was just told that Steve B wants to clean house of the coaching staff. If the season ended today, Harbs would be fired.

ShaneDawg85 is offline Plus Member Since April 2009 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Wow. Now that is surprising. Even with Cam getting axed I couldn't conceive that Harbaugh would be on the hotseat barring a total collapse and the team missing the playoffs. I'm fine with canning the coaching staff, or at least the majority of them anyway. But Harbaugh himself, that I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller192 View Post
    Hearing now that Harbaugh's Ravens are playing for his job as well. He's got the balance of the season to get his team to play better football.

I was just told that Steve B wants to clean house of the coaching staff. If the season ended today, Harbs would be fired.
    Glad to hear this. The lack of adjustments throughout this season by the coaching staff have been maddening. I'm glad they are being held responsible now.

Steve B is probably fuming like us but I'd imagine that once he sat down and talked with Ozzie and overviewed the situation he wouldn't make this move. I know you have your sources but I can't imagine he would actually do this once he sat down and thought about it more. If we lose out and lost in the first round then maybe yes.

DuffMan is offline Plus Member Since 10/06 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    4 straight years in the playoffs including 2 AFC championship games, but what have you done for me lately...

Quote Originally Posted by Baltoravensrule View Post
    Steve B is probably fuming like us but I'd imagine that once he sat down and talked with Ozzie and overviewed the situation he wouldn't make this move. I know you have your sources but I can't imagine he would actually do this once he sat down and thought about it more. If we lose out and lost in the first round then maybe yes.
    I'm as surprised as you.

Sounds to me that the Ravens are looking for sparks anywhere they can find 'em. Lighting a fire under the head coach's ass isn't the worst idea in the world. Hopefully he responds by mandating more aggressive play-calling on offense and defense. If we go down, at least go down swinging. This is what Joe Flacco talked about in training camp.

I doubt we're that lucky.

flashjordnk is offline Plus Member Since June 2010 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I hear Sean Payton isn't under contract for next year right now.

Didn't he convert a guy from a former Cam Cameron offense into a perennial All-Pro? Or am I misremembering that

I'm glad he's putting the heat on. But I don't want Harbaugh gone just yet. These next few weeks should be pretty telling!

Shocking news. I couldn't imagine firing Harbaugh, especially considering his success thus far, and can you really blame him for the loss of Webb and Suggs plus losing key guys to FA like JJ and Redding? I can't fault him for the lack of defense considering the guys we have to play.

Sounds like Bisciotti hit his boiling point. Still, I'm a bit surprised by this but maybe this is what Harbaugh needs to hear. It's time for Harbaugh to hold his coaches accountable for the performance of their players and the firing of Cam was a big first step. I like Harbaugh overall, but he probably always needed two strong coordinators. He can hold a lockerroom together and overall I think he's done a good job, but at the end of the day, he's allowed his relationships with his coaches to stop needed change from happening up until the Cam firing.

OregonBird is offline Plus member since 11/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Not sure how I'd feel about this. Who would be a better choice? I would think Payton goes back to the Saints.

Personally I think the super bowl window closed last year. The defense has gotten older and has several holes to fill in addition to the other holes this team has. This offseason is going to be very important for a lot of reasons.

NewMarketSean is offline Plus member Since 05/04 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by BaltBird 24 View Post
    Shocking news. I couldn't imagine firing Harbaugh, especially considering his success thus far, and can you really blame him for the loss of Webb and Suggs plus losing key guys to FA like JJ and Redding? I can't fault him for the lack of defense considering the guys we have to play.
    Billick was fired after 2007 when the team had multiple injuries.

Anyone who has followed this team knows there are deep issues there with Cameron (which has been resolved) and the feelings the players have about Harbaugh and their ability to adjust, manage the clock and make decisions. I doubt Biscotti makes a snap decision like this but if the Ravens lose out, some heads could seriously roll.

primetime is offline Plus Member since 10/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonBird View Post
    Not sure how I'd feel about this. Who would be a better choice? I would think Payton goes back to the Saints.

Personally I think the super bowl window closed last year. The defense has gotten older and has several holes to fill in addition to the other holes this team has. This offseason is going to be very important for a lot of reasons.
    Outside of Ray and Ed, we have a lot of good young players on D. Or at least guys in their prime. Honestly, I think we're a pass rusher and an inside LB away from being Danny good on D.

ShaneDawg85 is offline Plus Member Since April 2009 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime View Post
    Outside of Ray and Ed, we have a lot of good young players on D. Or at least guys in their prime. Honestly, I think we're a pass rusher and an inside LB away from being Danny good on D.
    Good is a relative term, in my view. McPhee had a good rookie season, but he's been banged up this year. Kruger I give you but I would be stunned if he's retained once he hits free agency. I was high on JM in the past, but he's kind of disappointed me, and everyone keeps talking up Ellerbe, but I've never seen it. Upshaw is basically Jarrett Johnson 2.0, and that's nothing to build a defense around. Cody is pretty much useless for his size. Jimmy Smith has mostly been a disappointment, Cary Williams is Cary Williams, and Webb is incredibly talented but dealt with multiple knee injuries in a short career. There are some useful parts on defense, but some major revamping is needed because this unit wasn't getting it done prior to injuries, and it sure isn't getting them done now.