View Poll Results: Who is the nastiest O's starter?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jason Hammel

30 25.86%
  • Wei-Yin Chen

1 0.86%
  • Miguel Gonzales

4 3.45%
  • Chris Tillman

20 17.24%
  • Jake Arrieta

39 33.62%
  • Brian Matusz

2 1.72%
  • Zach Britton

15 12.93%
  • Other

5 4.31%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    sfosfan is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Who has the nastiest stuff?

Nasty usually means you have more than one excellent pitch. Nolan Ryan was certainly nasty, but not in the same way as Steve Carlton. So, which O's rotation candidate do you think is the nastiest pitcher?

waroriole is online now Plus Member Since 6/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Hammel's 2 Seamer has really good movement. However, I think I'd pick Britton. Just so much movement on his FB and sinker. He just needs to harness it.

Arrieta

Though Miguel Gonzalez' split change is possibly the nastiest pitch on the team.

Relievers is a split between Strop and JJ
    Last edited by bradyrocks; 01-11-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Arrieta has the purest "nastiness" stuff. Unfortunately he's ludicrously inconsistent. Britton is probably second on the staff, especially when considering starters. If Zach can ever find some consistency with his command, he can still be special.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Among the rotation candidates, I'd say Hammel. Arrieta's is nasty at times, but not consistently.

I think JJ has the nastiest stuff on the team. When his fastball, curve and change are all on, the hitters are defenseless.

sfosfan is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I chose Tillman due to his plus fastball and knee buckling curveball. Now that Chris as a changeup, he gets my vote.

Whoops...Time to read past thread titles

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    Among the rotation candidates, I'd say Hammel. Arrieta's is nasty at times, but not consistently.

I think JJ has the nastiest stuff on the team. When his fastball, curve and change are all on, the hitters are defenseless.

JJ has the nastiest pitch in my opinion, which would actually be another good poll. There are a bunch of guys with really nasty pitches on this team.

Art Wing is offline Plus Member Since 12/07 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post

Yeah, I think it has to be JJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Wing View Post
    Yeah, I think it has to be JJ.
    I wanted to keep it just for starters since there is so much competition there. IF I did the nastiest O's pitcher, I could only have 10 choices and that might not be enough.

Art Wing is offline Plus Member Since 12/07 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by sfosfan View Post
    I chose Tillman due to his plus fastball and knee buckling curveball. Now that Chris as a changeup, he gets my vote.
    That curve is silly when he's on.

I've got to say, the nastiest stuff I saw in all of MLB last year was Darvish. It was like he had an invisible puppeteer moving the ball around in mid-air like I've never seen before. Pure filthy, put you in a cold sweat nasty.

waroriole is online now Plus Member Since 6/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by sfosfan View Post
    Tillman's FB is still pretty straight.

Quote Originally Posted by waroriole View Post
    Tillman's FB is still pretty straight.
    Yes, agreed. And if Chris didn't have a good change up now, I would have voted for someone else. But a good mid to upper 90s fasball with that curve and changeup is a pretty nasty combination. All of these different opinions I find very interesting.

canonfaz is offline Plus Member Since December 2010 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Wing View Post
    That curve is silly when he's on.

I've got to say, the nastiest stuff I saw in all of MLB last year was Darvish. It was like he had an invisible puppeteer moving the ball around in mid-air like I've never seen before. Pure filthy, put you in a cold sweat nasty.
    You mean that guy that we beat in the first ever AL Wildcard game?

BTW - I agree with you. Darvish has crazy stuff.

JohnnyK27 is offline Plus Member Since 01/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I voted Arrieta ....all of his problems are in his head.