+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A Six-foot-Nine Side-arm lefty?

That's what it sounds like the Orioles are trying to create with Mark Hendrickson. When I heard Hendrickson was asking for a tryout I was like, "No thanks." But after hearing that he's trying something new I'm more intrigued. I think this is another example of DD and the Orioles looking outside the box a bit. It's certainly worth a minor league contract and invite to spring training to take a look.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...,1474893.story

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Kam Mickolio wasn't a lefty, but he was pretty close to sidearm IIRC.

I heard that Buck Showalter was the one who got R.A. Dickey to learn how to throw his deadly knuckle ball. Maybe we should see if Mark Hendrickson could learn how to throw an effective knuckler.

Quote Originally Posted by ba9oriole View Post
    I heard that Buck Showalter was the one who got R.A. Dickey to learn how to throw his deadly knuckle ball. Maybe we should see if Mark Hendrickson could learn how to throw an effective knuckler.
    That's the ticket! A 6-foot-9, side armed knuckleballer. Genius!

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    Kam was more low 3/4, but Hendrickson will deal with the same kind of issues of being able to throw to both sides of the plate with that low of a delivery while throwing across his body.

andrewochs615 is offline Plus Member since 07/11 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I saw the thread title and thought of this

TGO is offline Plus Member Since 11/05 All-Star Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    He was 3/4, but he threw across his body somewhat, so the ball probably looked like it was coming from around third base. Too bad he didn't have a much better idea where the ball was going than the hitter did.

Can_of_corn is offline Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewochs615 View Post
    Mark might throw hard enough to do that to a passing moth. Pretty sure a bird will have enough time to get out of the way.

sfosfan is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewochs615 View Post

The greatest picth ever. Thanks for sharing!

Can_of_corn is offline Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    He was 3/4, but he threw across his body somewhat, so the ball probably looked like it was coming from around third base. Too bad he didn't have a much better idea where the ball was going than the hitter did.
    Highest average velocity in NPB last season.

isestrex is offline Plus Member Since 08/06 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Hendrickson is 38 years old. Photobucket

I love the idea but isn't it a little late?

Quote Originally Posted by isestrex View Post

I don't want him in the bullpen but if he can get lefties out some team will want him.

Quote Originally Posted by ba9oriole View Post
    First thing I thought as well!

If you think out of the box, may as well go as far away from the box as possible.

I'd sign Mr. Magoo if I thought he might be able to get LH hitters out.

His fastball is like 80 MPH. The arms of players who throw slow like that last well into their 40s.