Orioles Claim Todd Redmond

clapdiddy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the guy had a serious case of the major league "yips" in his major league debut walking five in three and a third innings after posting 2.3 BB/9 during his minor league career. Looks like some starting depth so probably worth a flier, especially since he should have at least two options.

I love this move. Redmond advanced well through the Pirates' system reaching AA at age 22 and then being traded to Atlanta for Tyler Yates... After a nice AA season in 2008 he stalled (but stuck) at AAA Gwinnett in 2009 and 2010. Then, he proved his worth at the level with a very nice AAA season in 2011. K/9 rates raised for the most part and, as mentioned, his SO/BB ratio has been solid throughout. Another nice AAA season for two different clubs due to a trade to Cincy for Paul Janish... He even managed to get a cup of coffee at the GAB for one start.

So, it looks to me like a guy who is at minimum a very solid AAAA right hander with decent peripherals. Can he turn into a solid major leaguer? Sure he could. I'm not placing any bets, but this dude has a chance to be a back end of the rotation guy in the bigs. For me, he's somewhere between Zach Clark and Steve Johnson.

Looks like the guy had a serious case of the major league "yips" in his major league debut walking five in three and a third innings after posting 2.3 BB/9 during his minor league career. Looks like some starting depth so probably worth a flier, especially since he should have at least two options.

He has one option left. Optioned in 2009 and 2012. He was optioned in 2010 but was outrighted after 10 days so that one does not count. Not on the major league roster in 2011.

My question is who goes? Forty man is full. My guess in Trayvon Robinson is DFA and passes through. Outrighted to Norfolk.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• You try to sign long term Gunnar and GR.  Wait and see on the others. As for Adley?   I would not sign him to a long term contract.  I hate to say it because I love the guy but he just does not seem worth what he is going to ask for imo.
    • I am not worried about Means AS LONG AS HE IS HEALTHY.   Big if.  But he knows what he is doing getting ready for what him is his spring training.  If he does this his first 2 starts or so?    Then I worry.
    • I had never seen him in a live at bat until I saw him at his first spring training at bat this year.  And I mean his very first at bat.   He struck out swinging on like 4 pitches and being honest looked completely over matched.  I remember thinking....."hmmmm that seems odd for a guy so highly touted".   He just seemed like he had no idea what he was doing.   But then I never really saw another live at bat from him again all spring training and he ended up doing pretty well.  However every at bat I have seen of him since he got called up?  Looked like that first spring training at bat.  He looks like my wife trying to hit a major league fastball.  He has no idea what he is doing. I have never seen someone so good against minor league players and yet so bad against major league players.  Just a huge discrepancy.   Has to be psychological.   He looks completely intimidated. 
    • And who is this somebody other than Means or Flarerty that would help us in the playoffs. Also remember Bradish and Grod did not help us in the Playoffs. So I guess It was unwise to wait on those 2. Plus Bradish is hurt and uncertain going foward( a la Means) Yeah you piled on.
    • I will say I am surprised at how utterly useless/helpless JH looks after he got called up.   Not just surprised. Stunned is a better word. This is not an 7th round pick who struggled for years in the minors.   This is the #1 pick from 2 years ago who has dominated his entire life in the game of baseball. Yet he looks like a player in 8th grade playing against seniors in HS.  He can barely make any contact and even his fielding and throwing is very iffy. It is like he took up the game of baseball within the last year.   A complete novice.   This has to be mental because even the worst of the worst can make more contact than he is.  He is FLAILING.   No way that is all physical.    At this point you send him down.   No questions asked.   I was more than willing to let him get through this if he SHOWED ANY SIGNS of life.  But he just doesn't.   He looks pathetic.    Manny Machado he is not.   Send him down for at least 3 months.   Bring up Mayo.  Or anyone really.  It is better than what he is offering.
    • DJ Stewart has a 1.031 OPS in 12 games.
    • All I can give you is an anecdote about my nephew. He's not a baseball fan per se, but he likes sports (mostly NFL) and he likes Baltimore teams. He hadn't been to an Orioles game since he was a little boy during the JJ Hardy years (Hardy was his favorite Oriole). Then last season I took him to his first game as an adult on Sunday Night Baseball against the Yankees, and one of the things he said to me he liked about the Orioles was "that the players are all home grown". Considering he was a casual fan at the point, I think extending those home grown players could have a positive impact on the business side of things. But that's only if the Orioles continue to be successful and competitive as a team. Since that game, he's been to several more games on his own and took his girlfriend a few times.
  • Popular Contributors