Orioles Claim Todd Redmond

clapdiddy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the guy had a serious case of the major league "yips" in his major league debut walking five in three and a third innings after posting 2.3 BB/9 during his minor league career. Looks like some starting depth so probably worth a flier, especially since he should have at least two options.

I love this move. Redmond advanced well through the Pirates' system reaching AA at age 22 and then being traded to Atlanta for Tyler Yates... After a nice AA season in 2008 he stalled (but stuck) at AAA Gwinnett in 2009 and 2010. Then, he proved his worth at the level with a very nice AAA season in 2011. K/9 rates raised for the most part and, as mentioned, his SO/BB ratio has been solid throughout. Another nice AAA season for two different clubs due to a trade to Cincy for Paul Janish... He even managed to get a cup of coffee at the GAB for one start.

So, it looks to me like a guy who is at minimum a very solid AAAA right hander with decent peripherals. Can he turn into a solid major leaguer? Sure he could. I'm not placing any bets, but this dude has a chance to be a back end of the rotation guy in the bigs. For me, he's somewhere between Zach Clark and Steve Johnson.

Looks like the guy had a serious case of the major league "yips" in his major league debut walking five in three and a third innings after posting 2.3 BB/9 during his minor league career. Looks like some starting depth so probably worth a flier, especially since he should have at least two options.

He has one option left. Optioned in 2009 and 2012. He was optioned in 2010 but was outrighted after 10 days so that one does not count. Not on the major league roster in 2011.

My question is who goes? Forty man is full. My guess in Trayvon Robinson is DFA and passes through. Outrighted to Norfolk.

Archived