Headgear for Pitchers a Possibility

OFFNY

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Happ has a fractured skull. He was put on the 15-day disabled list.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9252253/ja-happ-toronto-blue-jays-skull-fracture-placed-15-day-disabled-list

The doctors believe that the fracture will heal on his own. He also tweaked his right knee on the fall down, and they believe that that will heal with rest, also.

Also, Chris Young (who was hit in the face last year) tried pitching with the protective headgear for pitchers that M.L.B. and the Players' Association had put together.

Young stated that, "he didn't feel right, and that he didn't think that he could pitch effectively wearing said headgear."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Aroldis Chapman is the latest victim of a line-drive back to the mound (and in his face.)

I suspect that pitchers will not wear headgear in the near future, but perhaps several years down the road some will, and maybe they will look back at this as the start of it.

In any case, thank goodness that professional baseball players are not allowed to use aluminum bats.

Aroldis Chapman is the latest victim of a line-drive back to the mound (and in his face.)

I suspect that pitchers will not wear headgear in the near future, but perhaps several years down the road some will, and maybe they will look back at this as the start of it.

In any case, thank goodness that professional baseball players are not allowed to use aluminum bats.

Once again the purposed headgear would not have helped the player in question.

Headgear has become the norm for softball pitchers, but I think it is problematic in baseball, due to the pitching motion and physical exertion involved. The bulk and weight of the headgear would be hard to overcome, IMO.

Yeah, I think that this is a problem.

The most efficient thing that I can think of that would protect pitchers from line drives back at them would be that goalie's mask that Dave Parker wore when he broke his jaw and cheekbone in 1978. I actually saw him play against the Mets that year at Shea Stadium while he was wearing that thing.

I don't know how well that would go over with the pitchers and their motion/delivery, though.

Oo

dave-parker-facemask-pittsburgh-pirates-1978.jpg

Yeah, I think that this is a problem.

The most efficient thing that I can think of that would protect pitchers from line drives back at them would be that goalie's mask that Dave Parker wore when he broke his jaw and cheekbone in 1978. I actually saw him play against the Mets that year at Shea Stadium while he was wearing that thing.

I don't know how well that would go over with the pitchers and their motion/delivery, though.

Oo

dave-parker-facemask-pittsburgh-pirates-1978.jpg

And their peripheral will be shot, so base stealers will get an extra advantage.

Archived