+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    eddie83 is offline Plus Member since June 2008 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Manny Machado is engaged

I usually wouldn't mention anything personal about players but I just saw this on MLB Network. Yonder Alonso was on Intentional Talk talking and said his sister just got engaged to Manny.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    This guy does everything young!

Good for him. Congrats to Manny. Before the age of 21 this guy has played in big league ballparks and found the girl he wanted to marry. I envy you Manny!

This does not surprise me. He's been digging her.

eddie83 is offline Plus Member since June 2008 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    This does not surprise me. He's been digging her.
    If my memory is correct I remember seeing her at his first game last year, a blonde. Not that I would notice.

WEAVERMAN is offline Plus Member Since 02/03 - All-Star Hangouter Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie83 View Post
    I usually wouldn't mention anything personal about players but I just saw this on MLB Network. Yonder Alonso was on Intentional Talk talking and said his sister just got engaged to Manny.
    He's too young to get married, but I wish him well.

hendu is offline Plus Member Since 1/13 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by WEAVERMAN View Post
    Agreed, but you never know. I tell my wife everyday that if I was a professional athlete, I wouldn't marry anyone until I was retired.

I believe the news release said he was engaged - don't rush things!

Quote Originally Posted by bobmc View Post
    I believe the news release said he was engaged - don't rush things!
    http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/...ews_sd&c_id=sd

December 2011
    Over a dizzying eight-day span last December, Yonder Alonso, his sister Yaniee, and a small group of friends crisscrossed the Spanish countryside, bouncing around Barcelona, Madrid and Seville, doing their best to shoehorn in as many memories as possible.

Their trip itinerary was mostly loose and lean, allowing for the whims of a 20-something crowd -- see this, skip that. That is, with one very notable exception.

"This whole trip was about going to the football game," Alonso said.

Not just any football game, but one involving Alonso's favorite team, Real Madrid, who had a game set for the night of Dec. 17 in Madrid against the Sevilla Futbol Club.

Alonso excitedly pulled on his Real Madrid jersey that night and had VIP passes in hand, something the Cincinnati Reds had arranged for him. He was only minutes from bolting out the door.

"We were just waiting for his sister to get ready," said Orioles infielder Manny Machado, a close friend from Miami who was also on the trip.

Then his phone rang. But who would call him in Spain, he wondered. Alonso glanced down to his phone to see the Cincinnati area code of 513 flashing in front of his eyes. He had heard his name mentioned in trade rumors. But now? His heart sunk.

"Not while I'm overseas," Alonso whispered, knowing what was about to occur.

On the phone was Reds general manager Walt Jocketty, who called to tell him he was a part of a 4-for-1 deal to the Padres. Alonso heard Jocketty say that he would have a better chance with the Padres, something about how this would be a good fit for him. He only digested part of the conversation.

"He was in shock," Machado said.

Finally, after fielding a handful of phone calls, many from people he had never heard of, let alone ever met, Alonso tried to cast aside his shock as he and his crew walked to Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan to see Real Madrid.

Once there, Alonso's mind drifted. How would it all work out? A new city, new teammates. Alonso was nearly oblivious to what was playing out in front of him, as Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo was peppering the home goal for a hat trick.

"I couldn't enjoy myself," Alonso admitted.

scOtt is online now Plus Member since 10-02 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I think this is her.

Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/...ews_sd&c_id=sd

Over a dizzying eight-day span last December, Yonder Alonso, his sister Yaniee, and a small group of friends crisscrossed the Spanish countryside, bouncing around Barcelona, Madrid and Seville, doing their best to shoehorn in as many memories as possible.

Their trip itinerary was mostly loose and lean, allowing for the whims of a 20-something crowd -- see this, skip that. That is, with one very notable exception.

"This whole trip was about going to the football game," Alonso said.

Not just any football game, but one involving Alonso's favorite team, Real Madrid, who had a game set for the night of Dec. 17 in Madrid against the Sevilla Futbol Club.

Alonso excitedly pulled on his Real Madrid jersey that night and had VIP passes in hand, something the Cincinnati Reds had arranged for him. He was only minutes from bolting out the door.

"We were just waiting for his sister to get ready," said Orioles infielder Manny Machado, a close friend from Miami who was also on the trip.

Then his phone rang. But who would call him in Spain, he wondered. Alonso glanced down to his phone to see the Cincinnati area code of 513 flashing in front of his eyes. He had heard his name mentioned in trade rumors. But now? His heart sunk.

"Not while I'm overseas," Alonso whispered, knowing what was about to occur.

On the phone was Reds general manager Walt Jocketty, who called to tell him he was a part of a 4-for-1 deal to the Padres. Alonso heard Jocketty say that he would have a better chance with the Padres, something about how this would be a good fit for him. He only digested part of the conversation.

"He was in shock," Machado said.

Finally, after fielding a handful of phone calls, many from people he had never heard of, let alone ever met, Alonso tried to cast aside his shock as he and his crew walked to Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan to see Real Madrid.

Once there, Alonso's mind drifted. How would it all work out? A new city, new teammates. Alonso was nearly oblivious to what was playing out in front of him, as Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo was peppering the home goal for a hat trick.

"I couldn't enjoy myself," Alonso admitted.

December 2011
    Muchas gracias para este, amigo!

Yeah, but he'll probably be making 7-8 figures per year pretty soon. Being that financially stable (assuming he doesn't blow it all) that young changes the dynamic a bit.

sevastras is offline Plus Member Since 10/12 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by OriolesFaithful View Post
    Yeah, but he'll probably be making 7-8 figures per year pretty soon. Being that financially stable (assuming he doesn't blow it all) that young changes the dynamic a bit.
    Not really. It might even complicate things. How many actors or actresses stay married? I was fortunate enough to meet my wife when I was 20 and she was 18 and we have been together 11 years, but that is far from normal. I dont think that any of my friends that were married within a couple of years of us are still together. You just never know what will happen. Especially now a day with a rate of 50% of first marriages ending in divorce(no it only gets worse and worse the more times you are married).

Gurgi is offline Plus Member Since 6/05 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Wonder if their kids can play baseball?

"Would you be shocked if Manny was engaged?".....Roy Firestone