vs. BLUE JAYS, 3/20 (Spring Training)

OFFNY

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Britton fastball 90-92 in first inning. Leadoff walk and single.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">March 20, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Arencibia with a 3 run double, per Steve Melewski

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Arencibia with a three-run 2B off Britton smoked in gap to left center. Still none out.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

Machado retires Lind for the first out of the game per Roch Kubatko

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>And now we have our first out of the game. Lind with sharp grounder to Machado <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23orioles">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

Britton to Norfolk... That leaves

Jake

Steve

Brian

Jair

Who are you "rooting" for?

At first I was all for Jair but he's fallen off my ship a bit. Steve pitched great last year but I don't think the O's will make the move. As of now I'm rooting for Arrieta.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• @RZNJ and @Can_of_corn I appreciate the dialog. I think Jeter could have been a solid defender had he not been asked to play SS. So the quote above, (forgive me for picking a nit), is not entirely accurate. I don't think Jeter was "bad at defense." He was just not +10 at SS. There are a couple of plays that Jeter made that standout to me as showing outstanding defensive skill and situational awareness as well as athleticism. His issue is that he was not gifted with either the arm or the quickness to excel at SS. That coupled with the fact that A-Rod was a much better defensive SS than Jeter when A-Rod joined the MFYs makes me wonder is Jeter might have been a superb 2B or CF but was too stubborn to make the move. 
    • I think you need to give them a full season. Some of these guys will need to repeat because they are young for the level and just need lots of professional PAs.  Some will continue to fail, but the talented ones will keep getting chances for at least 700+PAs in A-ball.
    • Just didn't have the command. Middle-itis. Hopefully a one-off. 
    • Baumann has to be the one to go. I’m sure he’s a swell guy and all but he is not a major league pitcher. 
    • Once upon a time, Suarez was rated the 9th best prospect in the Appy League and as high as the 12th best prospect in the Rays system. He also did get parts of two seasons in the majors with the Giants. I know he's been bouncing around Japan and Korea for the past few years, but he wasn't completely off the radar earlier in his career. Reality may well catch up to him soon, but pitchers have weird trajectories sometimes.
    • I'm not a doctor, so if the O's are confident he is up to going back into the rotation as a full time starter, I suppose I will trust it. However, it makes sense to me to be conservative and manage his innings so he is in peak form in Sept/Oct. Of course, that takes for granted that we can get to the playoffs with him in a lesser role which may not be the case, but my inclination would be to stretch him out later rather than sooner.
    • All of that is fair to point out, some of which I did. My only issue with the snarkiness of the original comment like there was an over reaction going on by pointing out he's off to a disappointing start.  At the end of the day, Basallo is uber talented and he will figure it out. 
  • Popular Contributors