+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    atomic is offline Plus Member since 03/12 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor McCheese View Post
    The Orioles do not need support from Ravens fans. The Orioles have their own STRONG supporting fan base.
    Yeah that is why they had no one in the stands a couple of years ago and they stopped the guess the attendance game. They can build a good fan base but they don't have one now. If they are 20 games under .500 come september the stands will be empty.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAD View Post
    While it is appropriate and needed to remember Earl, I would have lost it if Ray and/or Flacco were there.

Maybe there is still a surprise for us.
    Lost it? In a good (Happy) or bad (Angry) way?

MikeAD is offline Plus Member Since 07/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipCup View Post
    Lost it? In a good (Happy) or bad (Angry) way?
    Joyous fit of fun.

Leaving for OPACY now.

Good day everyone!

Todd-O is offline Plus Member since 02/12 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    It would be cool to have the entire ravens team get on the field.

Mayor McCheese is offline Plus Member Since 12/12 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic View Post
    Yeah that is why they had no one in the stands a couple of years ago and they stopped the guess the attendance game. They can build a good fan base but they don't have one now. If they are 20 games under .500 come september the stands will be empty.
    If you are an Orioles fan.. even a baseball fan can realize and see the potential for the team to come in the future years.

Theres a good solid core of young players. Depth at multiple positions.

To say that we need the Ravens support is just garbarge. My point is that NOW the orioles have their own support.

Where were all the Ravens fans support before???...It's all irrelavent.. The Orioles of the past are not the Orioles of the present or the future.

atomic is offline Plus Member since 03/12 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I doubt it is just Earl Weaver's wife. If that were the case there would be no need to keep that a secret.

If you are an Orioles fan.. even a baseball fan can realize and see the potential for the team to come in the future years.

To say that we need the Ravens support is just garbarge. My point is that NOW the orioles have their own support.

Where were all the Ravens fans support before???...It's all irrelavent.. The Orioles of the past are not the Orioles of the present or the future.
    Its not a question of needing ravens fans or ravens fans not supporting the team in the past. Ravens fans are Orioles fans and vice versa. Most Baltimore sports fans support both teams, although obviously some people care more about one team than the other. The Ravens and Orioles are not competing for fans.

Having ravens out there to throw the first pitch would be a great gesture after the opening night stafu (even though it was caused by goodell, not the orioles) and a way to build support from people who may be bigger ravens fans than orioles fans, but still like the orioles.

Having someone from the ravens throw it out would show great civic unity and show that the orioles are secure enough to recognize the ravens' championship.

I myself am fine with the number of fans we had last year. Good vocal crowds and not overly crowded for most games. But if you do want to increase attendance dramatically you will have to pull in a good chuck of Ravens fans into the mix.

Nigel Tufnel is offline Plus Member since August 2008 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I just want to point out that, technically, Ray Lewis isn't a Raven, so Roch could be building for the surprise here.

Witchy Chick is offline Plus Member Since 07/05 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAD View Post
    While it is appropriate and needed to remember Earl, I would have lost it if Ray and/or Flacco were there.

Maybe there is still a surprise for us.
    I would LOVE if the 5 remaining "statue" recipients threw first pitches to their 2013 counterparts. Cal to JJ, Eddie to Hulk, Cakes to.....???, Frank to Nick M, Brooks to Manny.

Make it so.

The Orioles do not need support from Ravens fans. The Orioles have their own STRONG supporting fan base.
    Considering that about 60% or more of the Orioles fans probably consider the Ravens to be their #1 team (even if they're not that into football), and there are many non-Oriole fans rooting for the Ravens who could potentially be claimed some day, I would say that they couldn't do without Ravens fans. Even if they could, why would they want to turn away paying customers? Do I need to bring that annoying guy from those phone commercials in for you to explain how bigger is better? Would you rather the Orioles piss off people in Baltimore and have an $80 million payroll, or play the PR game and have a $140 million payroll?

My breakdown would be (excluding people completely apathetic to football)
    Ravens 60%
    Redskins 25%
    Steelers/Cowboys/Packers/Patiots/Other 15%

And I'd imagine that Ravens fans would be a lot more profitable as fans because it would mean that they live a lot closer to the stadium and are more likely to go to games.

Who threw the first pitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Bohs&O's View Post
    Who threw the first pitch?
    Nobody.

grimed1 is offline Plus Member Since March 2010 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    Per the Sun:

Instead of ceremonial first pitch, #Orioles honor manager Earl Weaver, who died in January, by placing ball on mound.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
    Nobody.
    Gotcha i watched everything on masn but thought they did it during a commercial or something. Thanks guys.