+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    wildcard is offline Plus Member since 11/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

HHP: Britton is the best long term choice - but is he ready?

When considering which of the three candidates for 5th starter is the right choice, Britton seems to have the most upside.

Righthander Freddy Garica is a 36 year old veteran who put up a 5.93 ERA in 17 starts for the Yankees last year pitching in the AL East. He did much better in relief where he has a 2.42 ERA. No matter what he does at Norfolk he seem at this stage of his career to be more suited for relief than starting in the AL East.

Righthander Josh Stinson is a 25 year old, 37th round draft choice who has pitched better at AA than AAA and has limited major league experience. He had a good spring with the Brewers statistically preparing to be a reliever. But they put him on waivers. He has had a good couple of starts at Norfolk. That is what the O's are leveraging if they call him up.

Lefthander Zach Britton is a 25 year old highly touted prospect who has had shoulder problems. If healthy he he as a great upside. He is 16-14 in his major league career with a 4.74 ERA. He is 8-7 with a career 3.56 ERA at AAA. He has had three starts this spring at Norfolk. The last two he went 5.2 and 6 innings and he has a 1.98 ERA so far. Being a lefty he also balances the rotation with two lefties and three righties.

So the question is not who do you want in the O's rotation out of these three. Britton is the best fit if healthy. The question is: Is Zach ready?

Can_of_corn is online now Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Judging by the pitching lines he doesn't look ready. Not throwing enough strikes and not striking out enough batters. I would rather bring up one of the other two and keep them on a short leash until Johnson is ready then yo-yo Britton.

waroriole is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I'd give Zach the chance, and if he struggles over 2-4 starts, I'd call up Johnson, assuming he's ready.

erb8472 is offline Plus Member Since 03/04 - Major League Hangouter All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I'd add Jurrjens to the mix.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by erb8472 View Post
    I'd add Jurrjens to the mix.
    Jair just pitched at Norfolk. He is not in the running for a Wednesday callup

I dont see how we can whine about Jakes walks, yet want to call Britton up, who is doing almost as bad in AAA and showed even worse lines the last time in MLB. Get over the decent era, he clearly gets to a soft spot in those lineups that chase and get him out of jams.

Britton still not throwing strikes.

Johnson not ready

Best option is to call Jake back up. I know everyone is down on Jake but there just isn't a better option, until Johnson is 100%.

Next best plan, give Hunter a spot start and keep Alex Burnett in the ML bullpen

Nigel Tufnel is offline Plus Member since August 2008 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by webbrick2010 View Post
    Best option is to call Jake back up.
    Can Jake be brought back that quickly without an injury to someone?

Quote Originally Posted by webbrick2010 View Post
    Britton still not throwing strikes.

Johnson not ready

Best option is to call Jake back up. I know everyone is down on Jake but there just isn't a better option, until Johnson is 100%.

Next best plan, give Hunter a spot start and keep Alex Burnett in the ML bullpen

unless someone goes on the DL, jake has to wait 10 days. I suspect it will be Garcia

It's a logistical issue, but I still think Matusz is the best pitcher not in the Orioles rotation as of this point, so I think he's the best option. But I readily concede the logistics of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by bradyrocks View Post
    I dont see how we can whine about Jakes walks, yet want to call Britton up, who is doing almost as bad in AAA and showed even worse lines the last time in MLB. Get over the decent era, he clearly gets to a soft spot in those lineups that chase and get him out of jams.
    In Zach's last two outing he walked 3 in 11.2 IP. He seems fine to me. I am not saying he is ready because I don't know. Just pointing out the fact.

ShaneDawg85 is offline Plus Member Since April 2009 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    It's a logistical issue, but I still think Matusz is the best pitcher not in the Orioles rotation as of this point, so I think he's the best option. But I readily concede the logistics of the situation.
    Buck already said that neither Hunter, Matusz, or McFarland are options to start for tomorrow.

waroriole is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
    In Zach's last two outing he walked 3 in 11.2 IP. He seems fine to me. I am not saying he is ready because I don't know. Just pointing out the fact.
    He also threw 50% strikes his last time out. ML hitters aren't going to chase the way AAA hitters do.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
    And he walked 4 in 2ip before that. And jake had however many scoreless frames in spring training. A few starts mean nothing. You have to go with track record this early on. And even though Garcia has be HORRIBLE for the past couple seasons, he is the one that gives the best chance to pitch like a professional. (not walking the 8-9 batters to get to heart). Regardless of his outcome, he will pitch how you want the young guys to.

Doesn't feel like Zach's time yet. I feel like he'll be another Arrieta at the ML level right now. Needs to build confidence and command down there.