Adam Jones- Where are the homeruns?

atom_25

I know he gets more than enough slack for some of his play in centerfield and some rightfully so, but I can't be the only person on here who is thinking this. Where is the power? I applaud him for his approach at the plate for the most part this season, but at the same time I don't feel like I am out of line when I question where his power stroke is. Any thoughts?

I really hope this thread has is the key for him going out tonight and crushing 2 homeruns in Minnesota.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is no one ever happy with Adam Jones? This guy can't catch a break. He's batting .320 and he's even walked a couple times this week, for crying out loud.

If he had 8 homeruns but was batting .260, somebody would start a thread asking why he was inconsistent.

The defensive criticism this year has been very justifiable. But Adam is doing nothing with the bat that is worth criticizing right now.

If he's not hurt the homers will come. I'm sure you can find plenty of 35 games stretches where Jones has hit 4 homers or maybe even less. People are noticing this one because it's at the beginning of the season.

If he's not hurt the homers will come. I'm sure you can find plenty of 35 games stretches where Jones has hit 4 homers or maybe even less. People are noticing this one because it's at the beginning of the season.

5/30/12 to 7/6/12. 4 HRs in 39 games.

But that was a slump in general. He didn't hit for a high average like he is now.

We want him to be a star instead of just a good player.

I think there's a difference between considering what he could still improve upon and seemingly lamenting what we do have, though.

EDIT - To expand upon what I'm saying... I think there is a difference between pointing out that Jones seems to chase certain pitches and getting pissed every time that he swings at a pitch outside of the zone in the game thread. Just seems that anything Jones does is cause for concern. He's a good player who with some improvements can be a great player, there's no denying that. But I think if we get too hung up on what he's not at this point rather than what we have, then we may miss enjoying a wonderful guy to watch.

Totally agree with everyone else. Less power for higher OBP is a plus in my book too.

The only thing I worry about Jones in general is him chasing the outside pitch. But this year his 0-Swing% is 37.5 which is a huge upgrade from last year and the best he's had since 2009.

He'll be fine.

Why is no one ever happy with Adam Jones? This guy can't catch a break. He's batting .320 and he's even walked a couple times this week, for crying out loud.

If he had 8 homeruns but was batting .260, somebody would start a thread asking why he was inconsistent.

The defensive criticism this year has been very justifiable. But Adam is doing nothing with the bat that is worth criticizing right now.

Couple of things. He is the face of the franchise and he has the contract to back it up. Fair or not, he is going to be held to a higher standard. Second, I did not mean to be negative and tried to acknowledge the fact is hitting, just not for power. And based on the player he has been coupled with the fact that he is in his prime years, I think he is capable of hitting for power and getting on base at the same time. This is not meant to be criticism, so much as discussion on what he is currently doing and people's thoughts on him going forward.

I think the disparity between perception and reality is higher with Jones than most. Defensive metrics (and my own eyes) say Jones is a sub-par center-fielder, yet, he wins gold gloves. Before last season, Jones' .OPS for the previous 3 seasons was about .780 making him a decent, but certainly not elite offensive player. And somehow he scored an elite-level contract with those mediocre credentials plus a hot start last season (that vanished after he signed the contract). This is probably why there is always controversy surrounding AJ.

Archived