Will this be the year the Pirates top .500?

Frobby

Last year, the Pirates were 16 games over .500 on August 8, only to finish 17-37 and finish under .500 for the 19th year in a row. They also collapsed terribly in 2011, falling from 51-44 to 72-90 by going 21-46 from July 20 on.

Once again this year, the Pirates are teasing their fans. They are 28-18 so far.

I, for one, really hope they finish over .500 this season. 19 years is longer than any team's fans -- even Pirate fans -- should have to endure.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last year, the Pirates were 16 games over .500 on August 8, only to finish 17-37 and finish under .500 for the 19th year in a row. They also collapsed terribly in 2011, falling from 51-44 to 72-90 by going 21-46 from July 20 on.

Once again this year, the Pirates are teasing their fans. They are 28-18 so far.

I, for one, really hope they finish over .500 this season. 19 years is longer than any team's fans -- even Pirate fans -- should have to endure.

I sure hope so. It would have been awesome to have both the O's and Buccos break their streaks in the same year but I guess that was too much to ask.

No city deserves that kind of pain. Except Boston.

I sure hope so. It would have been awesome to have both the O's and Buccos break their streaks in the same year but I guess that was too much to ask.

I can only muster so much sympathy for the City that is home to the Steelers and the Penguins.

I have to disagree. They deserve unlimited pain for '71 and '79, especially '79. The only reason I would want them to win again is for the Orioles to hopefully get some revenge World Series wins someday. That slate badly needs evening up.

They're already on 20 years (1993-2012 inclusive). I'm not sure whether it should end with a round number, or if their streak of losing seasons should be "old enough to drink." A little torn.

Well they are playing great baseball at home (.650 winning per cent) and a tad over .500 on the road. They are the hottest team in baseball right now. They are playing very well within the NL Central and the NL East, too. So if they can sustain that pace then, yes; they'll top .500 this year. Key is can they sustain the pace. Take another look after the ASB.

Yes.

Melancon and Grilli are as dominate a back end as i have seen since Mariano/ Wetteland.

Starling Marte and McCutchen are the real deal.

Burnett, Wandy, and Liriano make up one of the best top halves of a rotation as you will see. They all have track records as well.

They have numerous prospects who could make an immediate impact, and still more with which to acquire impact players in trades.

The one question I have is whether the offense can sustain the team. I think as built right now there are some major holes. But like I said, I think they have pieces to bring in impact players.

The biggest thing holding them back will still be the owner.

• 2 weeks later...
Cole made his mlb debut last night vs. SF. 6.1 IP, 2 ER, 7 H, 0 BB, 2 K.

He threw comfortably in the high 90s for most of the night, and broke 100 with his four-seamer in the first inning. Baffling to me that he doesn't miss more bats, though that may happen in time.

Is his FB pretty straight? I know he's tall, so it should get on the batters quickly.

Archived