15th Round Pick - Tyler Walsh - SS - Mater Dei High School (IN)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Head Coach Dave Jarvis and the Belmont Baseball staff is pleased to announce the signing of Tyler Walsh to a National Letter of Intent Tuesday morning.

Tyler is an infielder from Mater Dei High School in Evansville, Ind. Walsh is coached by Steve Ricketts at Mater Dei. In the summer, Tyler plays for the Evansville Wolfpack, which is coached by Joe Lis.

During Tyler's junior season, the versatile infielder helped lead the team to a state runner-up finish. He led Mater Dei with 34 hits, 30 runs scored, 22 RBI's, 10 doubles, and four triples, while hitting .325 from the leadoff spot. He was also 24-for-25 on stolen bases in 33 games. Walsh received multiple city player of the week honors and was named to The All-City Academic Team.

Tyler also stars on the Mater Dei basketball team. The 6'5'' forward was selected as a Second Team All Conference player and as a Top 100 underclassman in Indiana.

Obviously a recruiting video isn't the best way to get a handle on a kid, but I like his swing and he's got some arm. Doesn't look like he has the quickness to play SS and obviously the frame will work against him. Speed is there now but will it be once he fills out? Questions here, which is why he's still around in the 15th, but his swing is quiet and level and the bat could carry him even if he's a RF long term. Like this pick, now let's see if he signs.

Obviously a recruiting video isn't the best way to get a handle on a kid, but I like his swing and he's got some arm. Doesn't look like he has the quickness to play SS and obviously the frame will work against him. Speed is there now but will it be once he fills out? Questions here, which is why he's still around in the 15th, but his swing is quiet and level and the bat could carry him even if he's a RF long term. Like this pick, now let's see if he signs.

If we get a couple of these guys to sign, this might be a very special draft.

Every draft we get a kid who could really make it a special group and I think this year it is Tyler. I imagine he will be a very tough sign and an improbable one.

We took so many HS kids early on, it is difficult to see where we could find $500k or more to sign a kid like Tyler. We'll see. Perhaps Harvey is an easy sign and will free up some $. More likely, these HS kids after the 10th round are back-ups in case we have trouble signing Harvey and Hart.

They could free up some money by having deals worked out with some of the higher picks who were slight reaches: Sisco, Murphy, etc. Wynns will be cheap as a senior sign, Murphy as a local kid might go under slot, Harvey has been vocal about wanting to sign, Seabrooke has hinted at being very signable.

There's room to free up some money, but a) they didn't do it well last year and b) I don't know if it'll be enough, especially not to get Tyler and Ayers if rumors of them wanting 2nd round money are legit. Walsh, Bruner, Gassaway, etc. might come a bit cheaper. There's room for this draft to go from good to great for sure, but I don't know if there's room in the bonus pool.

Didn't help that they basically handed out slot bonuses to rounds 2-9. Some of those guys probably would have taken less.

That said, there weren't really the kind of guys in last year's class after round 10 that would have commanded over 100K and been worth it, except Hader, who signed for 60K and was an absolute steal.

Didn't help that they basically handed out slot bonuses to rounds 2-9. Some of those guys probably would have taken less.

That said, there weren't really the kind of guys in last year's class after round 10 that would have commanded over 100K and been worth it, except Hader, who signed for 60K and was an absolute steal.

I think 60K was fair for Hader considering where he was when they drafted him.

These recruiting videos are the wrong kid. Tyler Walsh from Mater Dei HS in Indiana is pictured in the Belmont and Courier and press links below. The video you have posted is of another Tyler Walsh from somewhere in Kentucky. I've seen the drafted player a lot and he is fast, has good range, nice swing and very strong arm. Stats from other articles in Evansville Indiana show he hit 402, 26 RBI, 6 HR and 28 stolen bases.

These recruiting videos are the wrong kid. Tyler Walsh from Mater Dei HS in Indiana is pictured in the Belmont and Courier and press links below. The video you have posted is of another Tyler Walsh from somewhere in Kentucky. I've seen the drafted player a lot and he is fast, has good range, nice swing and very strong arm. Stats from other articles in Evansville Indiana show he hit 402, 26 RBI, 6 HR and 28 stolen bases.

Thank you.

Archived