28th Round Pick - Robert Tyler - RHP - Crisp County HS (GA)

6'03" 196lbs DOB: 06/17/95

A year ago, Lucas Sims was the top high school arm coming out of Georgia, going in the first round to his hometown Braves. This year, Tyler is the best prep arm from the Peach State. Tyler is a big, projectable right-hander with the potential to have three average or better offerings at his disposal. His lively fastball will run up to 94 mph, and there might be more in the tank. His hard curve has a lot of potential when his mechanics are right, and he shows good feel for a sinking changeup. He's generally around the plate and gets high marks for his mound presence. While he may not go as high as Sims did, all of his skills point to Tyler getting a lot of attention as the Draft nears.

<iframe src='http://wapc.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=25996907&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Just saying that we likely won't find the money to sign him

The fact that no other team has the opportunity to sign him makes it absolutely worth a 28th round pick. It's the polar opposite of a wasted pick.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to imagine with the little bit of money the Orioles saved that Tyler is going to honor his committment to Georgia.

“I grew up a Georgia fan, and that’s always where I’ve wanted to go. It will feel just like playing for the (Crisp County) Cougars,” Tyler said. “I knew going into the draft that if I wasn’t taken in the first three rounds that I would honor my commitment to Georgia, and when the (San Francisco) Giants called me at the beginning of the fourth round and asked me what I was going to do (if they drafted me), I told them that I would be going to school.”

On what Georgia coach told him:

“He told me that if I came and played for him that we would be going to Omaha for the College World Series,” Tyler said. “And he said that in three years, I could be the No. 1 overall pick in the (MLB) Draft.”

Tyler was eventually drafted — in the 28th round by the Baltimore Orioles — but that didn’t change the decision to take his talents to Athens, where his incredible career will continue.

Archived