+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Breaking News: Ravens suck this year (then again)

Ok, it's not really breaking news, but Lord almighty this is one bad football team. They find all the little ways to lose a game. They are embarrassing at running the ball, a blitz confuses the O-line, and the defense can't make stops late in games when they need to. 3-5 and it's going to be a long year.

Guess Harbaugh needs to make some more trades and releases because this team is not very good in any aspect of football right now.

Oh well, we had a nice little run of being a good to great football team, but we're about to remember what it's like to be sub .500 once again.

You cannot underestimate the amount of talent this team lost in the off season. That said, they did not do a good job of replacing most of it. Luckily a top 15 pick should net a good lineman.

OrangeJerseys is offline Plus Member since 02/07 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Real football is better!

Quote Originally Posted by Camden_yardbird View Post
    You cannot underestimate the amount of talent this team lost in the off season. That said, they did not do a good job of replacing most of it. Luckily a top 15 pick should net a good lineman.
    I don't think the problem is with the guys who left or the guys who replaced them. The problem is that the guys we kept have collectively taken a giant step backward. Haloti Ngata, Corey Graham, Ray Rice, Marshall Yanda, Keleche Osemele, Michael Oher and Bernard Pierce--what the hell is wrong with these guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Three Run Homer View Post
    I don't think the problem is with the guys who left or the guys who replaced them. The problem is that the guys we kept have collectively taken a giant step backward. Haloti Ngata, Corey Graham, Ray Rice, Marshall Yanda, Keleche Osemele, Michael Oher and Bernard Pierce--what the hell is wrong with these guys?
    The wear and tear, and emotional toll a SB run takes out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Three Run Homer View Post
    This is my read of the situation as well -- the biggest factor in the decline has been underperformance of returning players, whether due to injury, scheme issues, motivation, etc, or a combination of those.

Dipper9 is offline Plus Member Since 03/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    We keep talking about the running game, and with good reason, but the O-Line can't pass block either. Joe has no time. How many times have we seen Oher or Yanda or the rest of the bums standing there with their hands on their hips while Joe is getting sacked again? They are an embarrassment, and if its truly the change in blocking scheme, then Harbaugh either needs to fire Castro, or fall on the sword himself.

Check your ego at the door coach, because this team has more talent than what they are showing on a weekly basis!

And its high time Ray Rice starts getting some serious serious criticism. Joe gets blamed every week for the losses, and as the QB, he deserves it, but Ray is done. He said after the bye week that this is as healthy as he's been in a while, so let's not blame injuries here. The guy just looks done!

gallden is offline Plus Member Since 7/07 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    If you're going to miss the playoffs what's the point of winning when a high draft pick can make such a difference.

Dipper9 is offline Plus Member Since 03/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    One other thing about yesterday's game.

I'm not using this as an excuse, but the reffing was AWFUL yesterday. I know in the past we (ie, Ravens fans) use the refs as an excuse for losing, but they were just brutal yesterday. The horse collar call was ridiculous, as he didn't use the collar to pull down the runner, but the Ngata call was one of the worst I've seen in quite some time. First, the QB was diving, so he's fair game, and two, Ngata was already falling down when the QB dove in front of him. What in the blue hell was he supposed to do? When even the commentators are saying its a bad call, you know it must be terrible.

That ref yesterday looked like he needs to retire!

Aglets is offline Plus Member since 12/10 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipper9 View Post

I'm not using this as an excuse, but the reffing was AWFUL yesterday. I know in the past we (ie, Ravens fans) use the refs as an excuse for losing, but they were just brutal yesterday. The horse collar call was ridiculous, as he didn't use the collar to pull down the runner, but the Ngata call was one of the worst I've seen in quite some time. First, the QB was diving, so he's fair game, and two, Ngata was already falling down when the QB dove in front of him. What in the blue hell was he supposed to do? When even the commentators are saying its a bad call, you know it must be terrible.

Agreed those calls were pretty egregious imo, and honestly I think if I was the Ravens I would try to draw attention to them with the NFL.

Honest question: is there any way that a Coach's Challenge can be used to overturn a penalty?

I don't think there is, maybe we should explore going that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipper9 View Post

I said this multiple times as well. It wasn't why we lost but the refs were awful. The announcers were also awful.

Ooooooohhhh!!!! is offline Plus Member Since 5/10 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglets View Post
    Honest question: is there any way that a Coach's Challenge can be used to overturn a penalty?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltoravensrule View Post
    I said this multiple times as well. It wasn't why we lost but the refs were awful. The announcers were also awful.
    The personal foul on Smith was horrible too. He's tackling a guy who he thinks has the ball.

You can't challenge a penalty that's referee's discretion. You can challenge a pass interference call if a pass may have been deflected prior to contact. You can also challenge an illegal forward pass I believe (QB past the line of scrimmage). Intentional grounding might fall under that category too. They couldn't challenge the penalties yesterday.

We got the 'C' or 'D' commentating crew yesterday. Some of the analysis was good, but some was awful.

As for the Ravens as a whole I'm still holding out hope that they can turn things around. They still have two games with Cincy and five home games I think. I'm just not nearly as hopeful as I was a before the game. They aren't showing any indication of snapping out of this. Harbaugh made the big change last year before it was too late (assuming it was Harbaugh's call). It might already be too late for a major shakeup this year.

The first 20 seconds of this clip about sum up the season.

TGO is offline Plus Member Since 11/05 All-Star Reputation Reputation
    R, as in Robert Loggia.

This will not happen but I wish we bring in another coach next year. Harbaugh has been a great baby sitter coach with all talent he inherited when hired. With the current group we need a coach who really knows his xs and os.