+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Encino, California
    Posts
    9,502

    No matter what happens..the cost of sports will hit the fan hard....

    Even if the Orioles DONT use their 24-25 million annually(next 5 years)
    for "new" free agent upgrades, rest assured the cost of skyrocketing baseball
    salaries will hit the average fan hard.I dont even attend Laker games anymore, in
    Los Angeles the ticket prices are prohibitively high and the Lakers TV cable package
    is starting to look expensive if you dont watch every game.You have to choose
    between LA teams to get the package.All teams are represented by different cable
    outlets..Time Warner for the Dodgers and Lakers are SEPARATE deals with SEPARATE
    costs.
    I know the Orioles are already raising ticket prices and so far you can get a game or
    two at a reasonable price. But when they start with the "premium" ticket surcharge
    and raise the cable deals between the NBA, NFL, MLB, and other sports, you will see
    that these absurd contracts will be effectively billed to the fan. We already see
    absurd ticket prices in NY and LAand Chicago, and while spectator sports access is
    not a constitutional right, its going to be a sad day when people have to make
    decisions between taking care of their family and going to a baseball game. The
    day is quickly coming where the live stadium event is nothing more than a TV
    studio for the affluent and home viewing will be costly and a affront to a fan who
    loves multiple sports. Its not fair or equitable but its time has come..One last thing. When people say, "the money is there" when talking
    about the payroll for sports teams they are correct.Baseball and the NFL are rolling in billions of dollars. But make no mistake. Thuse
    billions of dollars is momey paid for by the fans...and they may not be coming back year after year if the cost is too high.
    Last edited by Roy Firestone; 12-11-2013 at 12:59 PM.


  2. #2
    Ommaculate's Avatar
    Ommaculate is offline Plus Member since 1-09 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    3,903
    Going to the park these days for me is like a full fledged vacation. First have to sit in traffic for hours. One time I left DC on Saturday around 11am and I didn't get to Baltimore until 7pm. It was a 7 hour drive with traffic.

    Then you have to buy tickets, beer, food, and by the time the game is over nobody feels like driving back to Virginia. So it's either walk to the Hilton or find another cheap hotel.

    By the end of the night I am out over 500 bucks. I need a new career.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Remington
    Posts
    13,744
    To offer a contrary opinion. The sports bubble is about to burst.

    The sports market is like anything else, it works on supply and demand and slowly, but surely, the demand is being met and the market saturated.

    The next big thing will be streaming, the first team - the first RSN to get the rights to have subscription over-the-net live broadcasts of games, that is it the TV bubble will pop with the force of a sun. When that thing happens, and we see people flooding away from cable TV those revenues will dry up and salaries will go with it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Remington
    Posts
    13,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Ommaculate View Post
    Going to the park these days for me is like a full fledged vacation. First have to sit in traffic for hours. One time I left DC on Saturday around 11am and I didn't get to Baltimore until 7pm. It was a 7 hour drive with traffic.

    Then you have to buy tickets, beer, food, and by the time the game is over nobody feels like driving back to Virginia. So it's either walk to the Hilton or find another cheap hotel.

    By the end of the night I am out over 500 bucks. I need a new career.
    Or you could take the MARC train, now on the weekends 20 bucks both ways.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Reston
    Posts
    6,580
    Pretty crazy that you have to pay extra to watch your local teams. I don't know exactly the way my FiOS bill is structured, but I don't remember having to buy an additional package to get MASN for the O's or CSN for the Caps. I don't watch the Wizards, and the Redskins are on Fox each week for free. Virginia Tech games are either on My DC 20 or ESPN3, which is free on my Apple TV as a FiOS subscriber.

    My biggest hit are 49ers games. Luckily for me, they've been good for the last three years, and have worked their way into a lot of nationally-televised "Game of the Week" broadcasts, or prime time games (which, by the way, the NFL has done a great job of expanding to featuring SIX teams a week in primetime!!). I have never had DirecTV, so I've never had to pay for Sunday Ticket, but every now and then, I have to scoot over to my local Glory Days to catch a 49ers game that's not on in my area.

    So to summarize, I can see how some markets might start making it more costly for the average fan, but the Baltimore/Washington market seems to be pretty good to casual sports fans at the moment. If anything, it's the (rampantly) rising costs of home TV/Internet/Phone packages that are turning people away. Lots of people I know now are dropping their TV and home phone for just high-speed internet to stream their favorite programming. Not me... I thoroughly enjoy giving Verizon $400/mo.

  6. #6
    Mayor McCheese's Avatar
    Mayor McCheese is offline Plus Member Since 12/12 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    2,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Ommaculate View Post
    Going to the park these days for me is like a full fledged vacation. First have to sit in traffic for hours. One time I left DC on Saturday around 11am and I didn't get to Baltimore until 7pm. It was a 7 hour drive with traffic.

    Then you have to buy tickets, beer, food, and by the time the game is over nobody feels like driving back to Virginia. So it's either walk to the Hilton or find another cheap hotel.

    By the end of the night I am out over 500 bucks. I need a new career.
    I get your point.

    However, there are ways to cut your costs ...you can always bring in your own food and unopened bottles of water/soda... and just pack some beers to drink before the game to lower the amount of beer you spend inside.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Remington
    Posts
    13,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfran327 View Post
    Pretty crazy that you have to pay extra to watch your local teams. I don't know exactly the way my FiOS bill is structured, but I don't remember having to buy an additional package to get MASN for the O's or CSN for the Caps. I don't watch the Wizards, and the Redskins are on Fox each week for free. Virginia Tech games are either on My DC 20 or ESPN3, which is free on my Apple TV as a FiOS subscriber.

    My biggest hit are 49ers games. Luckily for me, they've been good for the last three years, and have worked their way into a lot of nationally-televised "Game of the Week" broadcasts, or prime time games (which, by the way, the NFL has done a great job of expanding to featuring SIX teams a week in primetime!!). I have never had DirecTV, so I've never had to pay for Sunday Ticket, but every now and then, I have to scoot over to my local Glory Days to catch a 49ers game that's not on in my area.

    So to summarize, I can see how some markets might start making it more costly for the average fan, but the Baltimore/Washington market seems to be pretty good to casual sports fans at the moment. If anything, it's the (rampantly) rising costs of home TV/Internet/Phone packages that are turning people away. Lots of people I know now are dropping their TV and home phone for just high-speed internet to stream their favorite programming. Not me... I thoroughly enjoy giving Verizon $400/mo.
    Growing up Baltimore had HTS, and HTS was an extra subscription charge, so basically having to pay extra to get all the games is not an unheard of thing.

  8. #8
    Ommaculate's Avatar
    Ommaculate is offline Plus Member since 1-09 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    3,903
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentJames View Post
    Or you could take the MARC train, now on the weekends 20 bucks both ways.
    Thanks I will check it out. It leaves from DC to Baltimore?

  9. #9
    Ommaculate's Avatar
    Ommaculate is offline Plus Member since 1-09 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    3,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor McCheese View Post
    I get your point.

    However, there are ways to cut your costs ...you can always bring in your own food and unopened bottles of water/soda... and just pack some beers to drink before the game to lower the amount of beer you spend inside.
    That's true. But getting a hotel at the end of the night is tons of fun. That's where the after party starts. One time I went to Nats Stadium when the O's played, and I walked around DC after the game and it was a terrible experience. I almost got run over 3 times.

    I'll take the harbor please.

  10. #10
    Mayor McCheese's Avatar
    Mayor McCheese is offline Plus Member Since 12/12 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    2,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Ommaculate View Post
    That's true. But getting a hotel at the end of the night is tons of fun. That's where the after party starts. One time I went to Nats Stadium when the O's played, and I walked around DC after the game and it was a terrible experience. I almost got run over 3 times.

    I'll take the harbor please.
    hah! I would never ever walk around Nats stadium after a game.... I take the quickest route to the metro.

    hard to find a decent hotel rate at the harbor..can't help there... but the train is def a good route to take as well. I used it every day for 2 years to commute from Balt / DC

  11. #11
    Ommaculate's Avatar
    Ommaculate is offline Plus Member since 1-09 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    3,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor McCheese View Post
    hah! I would never ever walk around Nats stadium after a game.... I take the quickest route to the metro.

    hard to find a decent hotel rate at the harbor..can't help there... but the train is def a good route to take as well. I used it every day for 2 years to commute from Balt / DC
    There is no decent hotel rate. I have done it twice and the first time I just walked to the Hilton and got a room on the spot. It was 300 bucks maybe more. The next time I thought ahead and got Holiday Inn but it was still something close to 300.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Hammock District
    Posts
    31,106
    I haven't paid money to go to an Orioles game in ages. I've been fortunate to get a hook up here and there but the distance combined with the fact that it's just a hassle isn't really worth it for me.

    I'm cool with my Samsung HD.

  13. #13
    Ommaculate's Avatar
    Ommaculate is offline Plus Member since 1-09 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    3,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
    I haven't paid money to go to an Orioles game in ages. I've been fortunate to get a hook up here and there but the distance combined with the fact that it's just a hassle isn't really worth it for me.

    I'm cool with my Samsung HD.
    Angelos misses your paycheck. Please contribute more.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Hammock District
    Posts
    31,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Ommaculate View Post
    Angelos misses your paycheck. Please contribute more.
    Oh, I'm sure he doesn't miss it. It was never really there to begin with.

  15. #15
    Ommaculate's Avatar
    Ommaculate is offline Plus Member since 1-09 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    3,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
    Oh, I'm sure he doesn't miss it. It was never really there to begin with.
    When the season starts I will just sign my paychecks over to Angelos. He says in return I will get 2 free hotel rooms a year, with all you can drink beer and I can sit behind the batters box in 1 game.

    I signed up!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

OriolesHangout.com is an unofficial site and not associated with the Baltimore Orioles and part of Hangout Ventures LLC. Copyright ©2013 | Privacy Policy | Advertise with us