+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    grimed1 is offline Plus Member Since March 2010 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation

Why would a pitcher come to the Orioles?

Why would a pitcher sign as a free agent here if he had the choice to go elsewhere? The player could lose millions of dollars if the deal is void. Perhaps can finish his career. Not like the Orioles are overly aggressive in free agency. You can still get the guys who have no other option

Birdland is offline Plus Member since 3/14 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    No good pitcher was coming here in the first place.

Reputation Reputation
    I am confused. We offered Floyd a two year contract. He was coming off of an injury. I wonder how his physical might have went?

Just a long fly ball from Tropicana field
    Quote Originally Posted by grimed1 View Post
    I am confused. We offered Floyd a two year contract. He was coming off of an injury. I wonder how his physical might have went?
    They offered him a guaranteed $4 million that could have grown to much more over two years if he reached incentives. That's a lot different than guaranteeing $15 million.

Balfour's agent must be so pissed.

Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-O View Post
    Balfour's agent must be so pissed.
    Yup,not to mention Balfour. When DD says I don't think they will fill a grievance that is not good for any agent dealing with the Orioles.

Birdland is offline Plus Member since 3/14 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Here you go.

sevastras is offline Plus Member Since 10/12 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Why would a pitcher sign as a free agent here if he had the choice to go elsewhere?
    $$$$

But we arent going to spend it on a pitcher, so the point is moot. Cano is proof that for enough money, players will go anywhere.

Maybe he gets to keep a copy of his x-rays?

Quote Originally Posted by Birdland View Post

Here you go.
    Peter got involved. Book it.

Tx Oriole is offline Plus Member Since 04/04 - All-Star Hangouter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Why would a pitcher sign as a free agent here if he had the choice to go elsewhere? The player could lose millions of dollars if the deal is void. Perhaps can finish his career. Not like the Orioles are overly aggressive in free agency. You can still get the guys who have no other option
    If he failed his physical then why blame the O's? If a pitcher is injured then you
    can't blame the O's. No GM will sign a FA without him going through a physical.

RZNJ is offline Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    What would be priceless is if Balfour signs 2 years or more with another team, the Orioles sign another closer or starter and their physical cancels the deal as well. The O's will be a laughingstock once again.

RZNJ is offline Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Oriole View Post
    If he failed his physical then why blame the O's? If a pitcher is injured then you
    can't blame the O's. No GM will sign a FA without him going through a physical.
    What if the next team looks at the same exact MRI and give him 2/15 or better? That's the whole point people are making. This isn't the normal course of buinsess for most teams. We'll see.

"The O's called off the $15 million deal due to concerns about Balfour's right shoulder, but the reliever said MRIs on the shoulder look the same now as they did three years ago. "I'm the All-Star pitcher I was last season," Balfour said. "My shoulder is fine, everything is fine. I'm ready to come out there in the ninth inning, do what I do." Baltimore is known for putting players through extremely extensive physicals prior to signing them, so this could be a case of them being overly cautious. Still, it might wind up costing Balfour a decent chunk of change."

WEAVERMAN is offline Plus Member Since 02/03 - All-Star Hangouter Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Excellent question, you nailed it. Maybe he would have passed the physical because he's from MD and DD and can't get enough of those guys.

BTW, did the Orioles really offer Floyd 2 years/ 20M or was it just a rumor? If true, you have to question their sanity.