+ Reply to Thread
    Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Fun with baseballsavant.com

A few weeks ago I stumbled on this website, and I must say, I could spend days fooling around with the information that is here. The site shows, for any hitter, how they did in 9 segments of the strike zone (3 across, 3 down) and four segments outside the strike zone (low & away, low and in, high & away, high & in).

For example, see Chris Davis' page here: http://baseballsavant.com/player.php...tter&year=2013 It shows that Chris had a very high whiff rate on pitches off the plate down and in (113 whiffs in 429 pitches). But, he also had a lot of power down there (5 HR). Up and in, he rarely whiffed, but he also hit no homers up there. Generally speaking, he only had four homers on pitches in the upper third of the strike zone or higher.

You can also break the charts down by count, type of pitch, or velocity of pitch. Overall, it's a pretty cool place to get information about hitters' strengths and weaknesses and tendencies.

thanks Frobby, that is an addictive website!

JayThomas is offline Plus Member since 04/11 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Thanks Frobby.

Not even 7am and I already know I won't be productive today. Thanks OP.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Eutaw View Post
    Not even 7am and I already know I won't be productive today. Thanks OP.
    Whaddya mean, won't be productive? Are you telling me there's something more important than knowing Chris Davis' whiff rate on low inside pitches? I think not!

Thanks Frobbster.