+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did anyone else catch DDuq on Clubhouse Confidential yesterday?

One of the co-hosts of the show (not Brian Kenney) had a phone interview with DD asking him about the current state of the O's. Asked him about the closer situation, and DD laughed for a moment, then talked a little bit about Hunter and O'Day and their strengths and weaknesses. Looks like that's the direction there, so no news.

Then he was asked about MW, who is two years away from being a FA. DD said that while there's no long-term deal in place, that Matt is a homegrown player, and he'd sure like to see him in an O's uni for a long time, but for now, he's our guy this year and next, and we'll see what happens. Literally, he said words without really saying anything at all. I say kiss MW goodbye, personally.

Then was asked the same question about Crush. Same response, except for the homegrown part. He's our guy now and we're glad, but no idea what the future will hold.

He was asked about the rotation, and the analysts speculated about the recent Santana medicals and whether they might be in on some of the FA pitchers that might make sense for us (Santana(s), Jimenez, Garza, or Arroyo). DD said that he liked what he saw from Tillman last year, but would ideally like someone to put in front of or behind him in the rotation for this year, but likes our depth now more than a year ago.

It was a pretty terrible interview, even if the questions were all good ones. I was actually pretty impressed with an MLB network show that asked such relevant questions to this team - most in depth questions and analysis is reserved for the better and/or more popular teams. It's not their fault that the interviewee was a dud and deflected every question with ambiguous answers.

MLB Network is great. I've been watching a lot recently but somehow missed this yesterday.

I'm going to be VERY upset if/when we don't extend Chris Davis.

andrewochs615 is offline Plus Member since 07/11 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I feel like DD always laughs awkwardly at questions and never has a good interview. I can't watch them anymore because they usually just bum me out.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I don't see what else Duquette is supposed to say. He has no choice but to be vague. To me, he's doing the right thing there.

Tx Oriole is offline Plus Member Since 04/04 - All-Star Hangouter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfran327 View Post
    One of the co-hosts of the show (not Brian Kenney) had a phone interview with DD asking him about the current state of the O's. Asked him about the closer situation, and DD laughed for a moment, then talked a little bit about Hunter and O'Day and their strengths and weaknesses. Looks like that's the direction there, so no news.

Then he was asked about MW, who is two years away from being a FA. DD said that while there's no long-term deal in place, that Matt is a homegrown player, and he'd sure like to see him in an O's uni for a long time, but for now, he's our guy this year and next, and we'll see what happens. Literally, he said words without really saying anything at all. I say kiss MW goodbye, personally.

Then was asked the same question about Crush. Same response, except for the homegrown part. He's our guy now and we're glad, but no idea what the future will hold.

He was asked about the rotation, and the analysts speculated about the recent Santana medicals and whether they might be in on some of the FA pitchers that might make sense for us (Santana(s), Jimenez, Garza, or Arroyo). DD said that he liked what he saw from Tillman last year, but would ideally like someone to put in front of or behind him in the rotation for this year, but likes our depth now more than a year ago.

It was a pretty terrible interview, even if the questions were all good ones. I was actually pretty impressed with an MLB network show that asked such relevant questions to this team - most in depth questions and analysis is reserved for the better and/or more popular teams. It's not their fault that the interviewee was a dud and deflected every question with ambiguous answers.
    What is DD supposed to say? He doesn't know what will happen with Davis and or
    Matt. As for the pitching he said he likes the teams depth. So what's wrong on
    thAt end? Is DD supposed to tell the interviewer all that is going on behind the
    scenes or all the FO ideas or plans? Do you want them to make a deal just to
    make a deal? There seems to be a lot of impatience from fans. I can be that way
    too. For me I am trying to have patience with the FO. No amount of hand wringing
    or cussing and fussing with change one blessed thing. IMO

Would you like to hear something like this "We thought we could trade JJ and replace him with Balfour saving some dough, but then we saw Grant's shoulder was a mess and now we're screwed at closer? We'll try Hunter there and hope he can fix his problems. Our starting pitching just isn't working out. We tried several trade ideas to upgrade it this year, but everyone is asking too much. We think AJ Burnett could help, but he won't make up his mind. The other SP on the market want more money than we can pay. We're worried about it next year, but we have no other options. Weiters and Davis-kiss them good-bye in two years, unless Angelos kicks the bucket, and then who knows what might happen. He's already given Jones and Markakis nice extentions; don't expect it again. Listen, I'm doing the best I can with what has been given to me. I just hope some of our cheap options work out this year."

Quote Originally Posted by Orioles4Life21 View Post
    MLB Network is great. I've been watching a lot recently but somehow missed this yesterday.

I'm going to be VERY upset if/when we don't extend Chris Davis.
    Believe me; you didn't miss a thing. Duquette is just bad interview.

As for the MLB Network, I'm very disappointed in their lack of programming. In a 24 hour broadcast day they only air 4 hours of live TV each day and that's it. 2 hours of "Hot Stove" in the morning. A half hour of "Intentional Talk" in the afternoon followed by a half hour of "Clubhouse Confidential" and then an hour of "MLB Tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by Bahama O's Fan View Post
    Would you like to hear something like this "We thought we could trade JJ and replace him with Balfour saving some dough, but then we saw Grant's shoulder was a mess and now we're screwed at closer? We'll try Hunter there and hope he can fix his problems. Our starting pitching just isn't working out. We tried several trade ideas to upgrade it this year, but everyone is asking too much. We think AJ Burnett could help, but he won't make up his mind. The other SP on the market want more money than we can pay. We're worried about it next year, but we have no other options. Weiters and Davis-kiss them good-bye in two years, unless Angelos kicks the bucket, and then who knows what might happen. He's already given Jones and Markakis nice extentions; don't expect it again. Listen, I'm doing the best I can with what has been given to me. I just hope some of our cheap options work out this year."
    Actually I would love to hear something like that. At least it doesn't get anyone's hopes up. I know that's a fantasy land, but I think it would be cool to have someone who is brutally honest.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBird View Post

As for the MLB Network, I'm very disappointed in their lack of programming. In a 24 hour broadcast day they only air 4 hours of live TV each day and that's it. 2 hours of "Hot Stove" in the morning. A half hour of "Intentional Talk" in the afternoon followed by a half hour of "Clubhouse Confidential" and then an hour of "MLB Tonight".
    True but there's not much going on right now in baseball. I really love their top ten right now shows. I believe there are two new ones tonight and I'm also excited for this My Most Memorable Game thing they're showing tomorrow that is featuring Cal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dipper9 is offline Plus Member Since 03/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBird View Post

Its the offseason, what do you expect? During the season they air about 20 hours of live tv.

I'm also excited for this My Most Memorable Game thing they're showing tomorrow that is featuring Cal.
    I have heard enough about Cal Ripken over the years.. I will pass on that show for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by Olson30 View Post
    I have heard enough about Cal Ripken over the years.. I will pass on that show for sure..
    Sigh. Let's please not go there.

I really love their top ten right now shows. I believe there are two new ones tonight...

Scratch this I just checked the schedule and the new episodes are on Fridays. This Friday it's top ten starters and top ten relievers so I don't think we'll see any Orioles. Maybe O'Day.

atomic is offline Plus Member since 03/12 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    I don't see what else Duquette is supposed to say. He has no choice but to be vague. To me, he's doing the right thing there.
    Well he doesn't have to do the interviews. I don't listen to his interviews as they are worthless. The first one I heard was when he said Wada was as good as Darvish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipper9 View Post
    Its the offseason, what do you expect? During the season they air about 20 hours of live tv.
    I expect a lot more than 4 hours of live TV on a station that bills itself as the network for America's Pastime. There are 30 teams they could be talking about.