+ Reply to Thread

Escalona and De La Cruz

What do people think about these two under-the-radar signings for the bullpen this off-season?

I know analysts were a little surprised that these players were signed to major league contracts, but Duq must see something he likes.

Escalona's numbers don't look great, but he was pitching in Colorado last season.

De La Cruz's stats look impressive in Albuquerque, but he's never thrown a pitch in the majors.

MurphDogg is online now Plus Member Since 04/04 - Major League Hangouter All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...+Trade+Rumors)

This is an interesting article about this new trend. It worked out for the White Sox and Quintana.

Wow that sure has a positive spin on it. I took away more from that article especially about Peguero than any of the Sun articles.

oriole is offline Plus Member since 01/12 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Escalona has been starting in the Winter Leagues. I doubt that means a whole lot but he seems to be doing okay with it. Not eye popping numbers...3.34 ERA 1.34 WHIP but from what I can see he has never started before in his professional career.

Quote Originally Posted by oriole View Post
    Escalona has been starting in the Winter Leagues. I doubt that means a whole lot but he seems to be doing okay with it. Not eye popping numbers...3.34 ERA 1.34 WHIP but from what I can see he has never started before in his professional career.
    Might be trying to stretch him out; I guess you can never have too many long relief guys who can fill in at SP in a pinch. TJ for 3 or 4 innings then bring in Escalona for 2 or 3? Not a bad idea actually considering how much use the bullpen got last year.