+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Closer situation as of right now

Baltimore Orioles manager Buck Showalter told MLB Network Radio that he will choose a closer from the relievers currently on the roster. However, Showalter said RHP Darren O'Day is not a candidate for the closer's role. O'Day went 5-3 with a 2.18 ERA in 68 relief appearances with the Orioles in 2013.

El Gordo is online now Plus member since 6/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP46 View Post
    Baltimore Orioles manager Buck Showalter told MLB Network Radio that he will choose a closer from the relievers currently on the roster. However, Showalter said RHP Darren O'Day is not a candidate for the closer's role. O'Day went 5-3 with a 2.18 ERA in 68 relief appearances with the Orioles in 2013.
    He said not at the moment.

Obviously Hunter is the lead dog but who else is legitimately in this race?

I've seen some on this board mention Norris and Gausman but let's be honest here. Norris is needed in the rotation and Gaus hopefully is a future front of the rotation kinda guy and needs to continue on the path of working towards that role.

I think Aceves could be a contender for the role. Depends on his spring....and his attitude!

RZNJ is online now Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I think Hunter is the favorite but if another starter is signed, Aceves might also get an opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by RZNJ View Post
    I think Hunter is the favorite but if another starter is signed, Aceves might also get an opportunity.
    My thoughts exactly.

That said the more I look at the roster the more I feel this is Hunters job by default.

Slightly related but what do we have in Brad Brach? Is signing was so early in the offseason that I think it's gone slightly under the radar. where does he fit into the pen. 6'6 215 lbs 28 year old, I've been pulling up highlights and footage of him on youtube and he certainly looks the part of a back of the pen kinda guy.

isestrex is offline Plus Member Since 08/06 Hall of Fame Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    If you think you know who it is now, you're only fooling yourself. Even Buck doesn't know who he's going to pick.

Patience, young grasshopper. These things will take care of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by isestrex View Post
    If you think you know who it is now, you're only fooling yourself. Even Buck doesn't know who he's going to pick.

Patience, young grasshopper. These things will take care of themselves.
    I guess what I was driving at is despite all this talk about camp competition there isn't a legit candidate on the roster aside from Hunter.

RZNJ is online now Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Slightly related but what do we have in Brad Brach? Is signing was so early in the offseason that I think it's gone slightly under the radar. where does he fit into the pen. 6'6 215 lbs 28 year old, I've been pulling up highlights and footage of him on youtube and he certainly looks the part of a back of the pen kinda guy.
    Gonna be tough for him to make the team and he's got an option left. He looks to be in direct competition with Stinson and possible Aceves, two guys who can't be sent down.

WEAVERMAN is online now Plus Member Since 02/03 - All-Star Hangouter Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Hey Duquette, sign a closer, we need the depth, let's go.

Quote Originally Posted by WEAVERMAN View Post
    Hey Duquette, sign a closer, we need the depth, let's go.
    Buck also said that Balfour still does not have a job, he might end up here. Or someone else that does not have a job.

wildcard is offline Plus Member since 11/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    Buck also said that Balfour still does not have a job, he might end up here. Or someone else that does not have a job.
    This is the right answer. Giving the closer job to a guy that allowed 11 homers vs lefties in 42 inning with a .294 average is only asking for trouble. Hunter will not be able to hold the job if he gets it. You think we didn't like what Jim Johnson did last year, well Jim is a better pitcher than Tommy.

Tx Oriole is online now Plus Member Since 04/04 - All-Star Hangouter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I guess what I was driving at is despite all this talk about camp competition there isn't a legit candidate on the roster aside from Hunter.
    Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Oriole View Post
    Are you sure?

really!!!!!

I like Hunter, but to cast him as the closer, without picking up that split-finger pitcher, or something else, won't turn out too well.