+ Reply to Thread
    wildcard is offline Plus Member since 11/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

O's difference makers?

Roch is asking who are the O's difference makers. He defines it as some one new to the organization or coming off a bad year or injury that could give the team a boost.

I think:

1. Markakis - Working out this winter for the first time in several years. Its his walk year. Could be a big one.

2. Urrutia - Relatively new to the organization. This guy sounds motivated. He has added weight. Has been working on his fielding. Had good reviews in the mini camp. He could win the DH role full time and put up a high OBP which the team needs badly.

3. Gausman - This may be stretching things a bit but most of us expect him to start at AAA. He could show he is ready for the rotation which would be a big boost.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_...r-in-2014.html
    Last edited by wildcard; 01-21-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Tx Oriole is offline Plus Member Since 04/04 - All-Star Hangouter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
    Roch is asking who are the O's difference makers. He defines it as some one new to the organization or coming off a bad year or injury that could give the team a boost.

I think:

1. Markakis - Working out this winter for the first time in several years. Its his walk year. Could be a big one.

2. Urrutia - Relatively new to the organization. This guy sounds motivated. He has added weight. Has been working on his fielding. Had good reviews in the mini camp. He could win the DH role full time and put up a high OBP which the team needs badly.

3. Gausman - This may be stretching things a bit but most of us expect him to start at AAA. He could show he is ready for the rotation which would be a big boost.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_...r-in-2014.html
    I think Nick more so than Henry. Gausman too would be a big help. I too think he
    starts in AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Oriole View Post
    I think Nick more so than Henry. Gausman too would be a big help. I too think he
    starts in AAA.
    I think Henry could outhit Markakis the second half of this season.

dan-O is online now Plus Member Since 07/08 Hall of Fame Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    The success of this season starts and ends with one guy: Gausman. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dan-O View Post
    The success of this season starts and ends with one guy: Gausman. IMO.
    Lot of pressure to put on a single young player.

Personally, I think there are several critic points.

Starting LF - Will our replacement, be an improvement over McLouth and not a degradation.
    Nick - Does he return to what he was.
    DH - Got to be more production from this position
    Closer - Got to find a replacement for 50+ saves the past two seasons.

rochester is offline Plus Member Since 12/07 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    1 The Front office
    1a Chris Tillman
    1b Wei-Yin Chen
    1c Miguel Gonzalez
    1d Bud Norris
    1e Zach Britton, Kevin Gausman or TBA
    2a Tommy Hunter (if closing)
    2b Mr. Bullpen

Speaking of Nick M. - am I the only one who reads Nick and walk year in the same sentence and really don't believe this has anything to do with how he looks at this year differently. Maybe I am missing something but he is one guy I really, truly believe that money is not that much of a factor.

Can_of_corn is online now Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by rochester View Post
    1 The Front office
    1a Chris Tillman
    1b Wei-Yin Chen
    1c Miguel Gonzalez
    1d Bud Norris
    1e Zach Britton, Kevin Gausman or TBA
    2a Tommy Hunter (if closing)
    2b Mr. Bullpen

Speaking of Nick M. - am I the only one who reads Nick and walk year in the same sentence and really don't believe this has anything to do with how he looks at this year differently. Maybe I am missing something but he is one guy I really, truly believe that money is not that much of a factor.
    It isn't just money. Nick repeats his 2013 season and he could be looking at a one year deal, a deal in which he is unlikely to be starting on a contender. He has a nice bounce back year and his services will be in much higher demand.

rochester is offline Plus Member Since 12/07 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Can_of_corn View Post
    It isn't just money. Nick repeats his 2013 season and he could be looking at a one year deal, a deal in which he is unlikely to be starting on a contender. He has a nice bounce back year and his services will be in much higher demand.
    ahhh makes sense... thanks

oriole is online now Plus Member since 01/12 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    If Nick gets back to around a .800 OPS then we're in good shape. If Gausman does what we all want him to do and becomes one of our best starter, we will be in great shape. Urrutia, Reimold, Lough, Flaherty, Steve Johnson, Britton...tons of room for improvement by a lot of different players. Then you have to hold out hope that guys like Davis, Tillman and Jones can avoid too bad of a regression.

One exciting tidbit for me is Bundy. If he can come on strong late in the season that could be a huge boost. I have a feeling the chance of that happening could inhibit a lot of trade talk at the deadline but hey, that's good and bad.

El Gordo is online now Plus member since 6/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation
    What's the difference between a Linchpin and a Difference Maker? I'd say Tillman is the #1 difference maker. If he can pitch well enough to win 20 G that would be huge. Nick bouncing back would be great, and Henry, Lough, and Peguero could also be big contributors