+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cliff Lee

Cliff Lee

They say that there is no such thing as a bad one year deal... It is also true that you can't get a super stud on a one or two year free agent deal. So, with that in mind let's say that Cliff Lee was a free agent right now and was willing to sign for two years. Would you do it? Even 2/50? I believe most of us would, and that is what we would be getting in a trade for him. I also believe that if we took on the whole salary that we wouldn't have to send too much in the way if prospects. If we could deal a handful of C-level guys (Drake, Bridwell, etc.) for him I think it's a no brainer. What say you?

Can_of_corn is offline Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    The Phillies mistakenly believe they can compete for a playoff spot. As long as that is true, Lee will not be traded.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange View Post
    They say that there is no such thing as a bad one year deal... It is also true that you can't get a super stud on a one or two year free agent deal. So, with that in mind let's say that Cliff Lee was a free agent right now and was willing to sign for two years. Would you do it? Even 2/50? I believe most of us would, and that is what we would be getting in a trade for him. I also believe that if we took on the whole salary that we wouldn't have to send too much in the way if prospects. If we could deal a handful of C-level guys (Drake, Bridwell, etc.) for him I think it's a no brainer. What say you?
    Ruben Amaro will over value this deal, so in order to make it happen, will take more than I would be willing to part with.

RZNJ is offline Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    It's an overpay that makes sense. Even more sense if we could deal someone like Markakis in the same deal.

Mr Snuffleupagus is offline Plus Member Since 12/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I think it cost more then a handful of C-Level guys. I think it's more like a couple B-level guys +. Maybe ERod, Schoop, and Bridwell... Even then, I'd probably do it. For me, if it can be done without giving up Gausman and/or Bundy, I'd do it.

Mr Snuffleupagus is offline Plus Member Since 12/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by RZNJ View Post
    It's an overpay that makes sense. Even more sense if we could deal someone like Markakis in the same deal.
    So a three team deal? Cause I don't see the Phillies dumping salary on someone actually earning their check for someone who's considerably overpaid (at least the past 2 seasons).

Can_of_corn is offline Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Snuffleupagus View Post
    So a three team deal? Cause I don't see the Phillies dumping salary on someone actually earning their check for someone who's considerably overpaid (at least the past 2 seasons).
    Hard to say, they are the Phillies.

isestrex is offline Plus Member Since 08/06 Hall of Fame Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    IF he were a free agent, he would be signed to an exorbitant contract for more than he is worth and for more years than he will be at his peak.

2/50 would be an intriguing offer, but he would decline and even though he's 35 he would take the 4 year deal some other team would imminently offer.

dan-O is offline Plus Member Since 07/08 Hall of Fame Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Cliff Lee, please, come on.

Quote Originally Posted by dan-O View Post
    Cliff Lee, please, come on.
    Unless the Tigers are ready to deal, Verlander.

oriole is offline Plus Member since 01/12 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I would love Cliff Lee to the O's, but it's not happening. In a perfect world we'd be able to take on the salary and send a couple prospects in 20-30 range but I doubt the Phillies nor the O's would do that deal. If the Phillies ate 10M off the contract and we sent a guy like Mike Wright...I wouldn't be upset. But again, I don't think it happens. It's just not a match.

crawjo is offline Plus Member since 07/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I don't think the Phillies would have any motivation to trade Lee in what would essentially be a salary dump. Maybe at the trade deadline, but even then I tend to doubt it because it's still a veteran-heavy team that thinks it can compete now.

If you wanted to get Lee, you'd have to give up young, cost-controllable players who could help Philadelphia in the short term, OR you'd have to give up our very top prospects. You could probably have him for Gausman plus Schoop plus a couple lower level prospects. The Phillies might do that, and maybe they'd throw in some money to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Can_of_corn View Post
    Hard to say, they are the Phillies.
    And they have Joe Jordan. Matt Hobgood, Ashur Tolliver and Mychal Givens would probably work.

Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    And they have Joe Jordan. Matt Hobgood, Ashur Tolliver and Mychal Givens would probably work.
    That would greatly improve my opinion of the Hobgood pick.

Although this is fun to dream, there is no way its happening. They haven't even shown a desire to extend arguably the best power in the game right now. No way they are paying Cliff Lee even 15 million.