+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

The Illusion Of a Competitive Spring - Camden Depot

El Gordo is offline Plus member since 6/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I disagree with the notion that Henry is a slap hitting bat only player. And I disagree that Peguero is a glove only player. Sure we could have solved our LF problem by signing Choo and DH by signing Beltran. Now back to reality. I think it will be Lough LF, and Henry/plus one of Reimold/Young/Almanzar/Pearce. That's the real competition IMO. Peguero is 4th OF. I think Colvin has failed his physical and is not a consideration. If he were it would make for an interesting change in dynamics. He'd be a starting LF option, 4th OF option and a LH DH option.

RZNJ is online now Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I read it. Interesting and I didn't strongly disagree with anything. It might be an illusion of competiton but there are several questions that should be answered that we don't know yet. He thinks Peguero gets DFA'd but I'd say that's far from a foregone conclusion. Lough is the strong favorite for LF but DH could be a combination of about 4-6 different players (Colvin\Paul\Urrutia\Reimold\Pearce\Young

wildcard is offline Plus Member since 11/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I think there will be some real competition for LF. 4th OFer and DH. The O's have not seen many of these players before. Also some are coming off injuries. What their capabilities are will be evaluated in camp. The guy who hits the best may not get the job. Options and who they play against have to be taken into account. Just because you can get the ball up in the Florida wind does not make you Babe Ruth but maybe Jake Fox instead. Last year, Pearce, Jackson and Ford put on a show in ST. Only Pearce saw much time in the regular season and he was hurt part of the time.

Lough, Peguero, Reimold, Young and Henry all may have something to offer. Colvin is a mystery man at the moment. I'll leave the handicapping at that.
    Last edited by wildcard; 01-21-2014 at 07:09 PM.

I think it's hilarious that people think we have a chance to make the playoffs after looking through the scrubs we have that will probably be claiming 2 starting positions in the lineup. I'm honestly starting to believe the Orioles are paying some of you to make these posts.

RZNJ is online now Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Janowski View Post
    I think it's hilarious that people think we have a chance to make the playoffs after looking through the scrubs we have that will probably be claiming 2 starting positions in the lineup. I'm honestly starting to believe the Orioles are paying some of you to make these posts.
    How much to get you not to post?

Said every Oakland A's critic in February.

Joking aside, the Orioles are looking for value and control. Lough could easily be as good or better than McLouth. Urrutia has shown a power bat, and an ability to hit for average. Last year was essentially his rookie season after missing a lot of time due to visa issues.

The competition should be interesting to say the least, and I don't think the Orioles are done finding bats.

Were you going to match Choo's contract? Were you going to give that money to a 37 year-old Beltran?

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    The O's need another starter. Everyone says it. The FO, the players, the media, the OHers. Its no secret. I also think they need a closer. The FO may disagree but Johnson to Hunter is a down grade in most people's book.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentJames View Post

Joking aside, the Orioles are looking for value and control. Lough could easily be as good or better than McLouth. Urrutia has shown a power bat, and an ability to hit for average. Last year was essentially his rookie season after missing a lot of time due to visa issues.

The competition should be interesting to say the least, and I don't think the Orioles are done finding bats.

Were you going to match Choo's contract? Were you going to give that money to a 37 year-old Beltran?
    Is your ridiculous apologist/BELIEVE schtick ever going to stop?

RE: Urrutia - since when has slap hitting opposite field singles hitter = power bat?

RE: Lough - if he's so amazing, why did the Royals ditch him so fast? He's 28 years old, he's not going to get that much better, if at all. Great for defense, can't hit to save his life.

Corey Hart, Garza, Infante, Hudson, Josh Johnson, Benoit would've been great. Notice I didn't mention any of the highest paid Free Agents this year.

jjnono is offline Plus Member since 1/1/2013 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by RZNJ View Post
    How much to get you not to post?
    I'm with Stevie. It's hysterical what the O's are counting on in order to be "competitive" in 2014. So from that perspective, RZNJ, if you don't mind ponying up for a Rockies 10-pack, that oughta do it for me...

Quote Originally Posted by SilentJames View Post

These are good questions that the bloviaters never seem to answer.

jjnono is offline Plus Member since 1/1/2013 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    These are good questions that the bloviaters never seem to answer.
    Actually it's a BS question primarily because it can't be answered in any meaningful way. Look, it isn't my money, but if it were, I would have certainly matched what Choo got, if only so we didn't have to endure any more Peguero! Pearce! Reimold! Urrutia! Colvin! flag-waving... Beltran is a bit too old for my taste and that kind of money...

The offense is not the problem. The O's had the 4th best offense in the AL. They lost McLouth, Valencia and Roberts. No exactly All-Stars at this point. What they have added to replace them may be better than what they lost.

But the pitching needs help. I can't say it much plainer than that.

Is your ridiculous apologist/BELIEVE schtick ever going to stop?

RE: Urrutia - since when has slap hitting opposite field singles hitter = power bat?

RE: Lough - if he's so amazing, why did the Royals ditch him so fast? He's 28 years old, he's not going to get that much better, if at all. Great for defense, can't hit to save his life.

Corey Hart, Garza, Infante, Hudson, Josh Johnson, Benoit would've been great. Notice I didn't mention any of the highest paid Free Agents this year.
    Hart and Garza both have injury questions that probably wouldn't make it past PA's physical. Infante? you want to top 4/30M for him, that's a joke. When was the last time Josh Johnson had an injury free season, and what did he do last season? Hudson would have been a good sign, but you probably would have had to go 3 years to get him away from the LAD. Benoit, meh his numbers aren't that much better than Hunter's. If I am paying 7.5M for a CL I'll sign Balfour.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
    The offense is not the problem. The O's had the 4th best offense in the AL. They lost McLouth, Valencia and Roberts. No exactly All-Stars at this point. What they have added to replace them may be better than what they lost.

But the pitching needs help. I can't say it much plainer than that.
    This, plus what we have added, while very likely replacing that offense, will upgrade the defense. They need another SP better than Norris at the very least, and another BP arm.