2014 College Prospects

Let's take our minds off of AJ Burnett, Chris Davis's extension, failed physicals, and marbles and talk about the college baseball season (which is a little over a week away).

I have gleaned through the Baseball America articles about the upcoming season and the draft eligible players and here are some of my favorites (some are highly touted and some might just have good stats, but most should be available when the O's pick, unless these players have amazing springs).

Position Players:

Brad Zimmer - San Fran - OF - hits well, fields well, and O's system is lacking in OF depth. Could be a fast riser that could debut in Baltimore within a year or two of Bundy, E. Rodriguez, Harvey.

Casey Gillespie - Wichita St - 1B - Has great numbers in college and in the Cape Cod League. Could be a good post-1st round hitter. Could pass up other power hitters in the first round (Kyle Schwarber - Indiana) for a less risky player like Gillespie.

Joey Pankake - South Carolina - SS/3B/OF - good hitter with good approach within a great program that can play multiple positions. Sounds like a good player with a high floor that would be a good pick up to build positional depth.

Seth Harrison - Louisana Lafayette - OF - good OBP, SLG and has speed and good defense all according to Baseball America.

Tyler Girouard - Louisana Lafayette - 3B/1B - "Professional Hitter" according to Baseball America

The whole Univ. of Virginia Team (Derek Fisher and Mike Papi) - great stats, great approach, but still raw enough to have high ceilings.

Pitchers - all of these pitchers have good K rates and above average command (I'm tired of Arrieta's and other prospects with no command):

Aaron Nola - LSU - RHP

Luke Weaver - Florida St. - RHP

Jacob Lindgren - Miss St. - LHP

Benton Moss - UNC - RHP

Dillon Peters - Texas - LHP

Keep the discussion going with your players to watch list and possibly O's draft strategy.

Let's take our minds off of AJ Burnett, Chris Davis's extension, failed physicals, and marbles and talk about the college baseball season (which is a little over a week away).

I have gleaned through the Baseball America articles about the upcoming season and the draft eligible players and here are some of my favorites (some are highly touted and some might just have good stats, but most should be available when the O's pick, unless these players have amazing springs).

Position Players:

Brad Zimmer - San Fran - OF - hits well, fields well, and O's system is lacking in OF depth. Could be a fast riser that could debut in Baltimore within a year or two of Bundy, E. Rodriguez, Harvey.

Casey Gillespie - Wichita St - 1B - Has great numbers in college and in the Cape Cod League. Could be a good post-1st round hitter. Could pass up other power hitters in the first round (Kyle Schwarber - Indiana) for a less risky player like Gillespie.

Joey Pankake - South Carolina - SS/3B/OF - good hitter with good approach within a great program that can play multiple positions. Sounds like a good player with a high floor that would be a good pick up to build positional depth.

Seth Harrison - Louisana Lafayette - OF - good OBP, SLG and has speed and good defense all according to Baseball America.

Tyler Girouard - Louisana Lafayette - 3B/1B - "Professional Hitter" according to Baseball America

The whole Univ. of Virginia Team (Derek Fisher and Mike Papi) - great stats, great approach, but still raw enough to have high ceilings.

Pitchers - all of these pitchers have good K rates and above average command (I'm tired of Arrieta's and other prospects with no command):

Aaron Nola - LSU - RHP

Luke Weaver - Florida St. - RHP

Jacob Lindgren - Miss St. - LHP

Benton Moss - UNC - RHP

Dillon Peters - Texas - LHP

Keep the discussion going with your players to watch list and possibly O's draft strategy.

Kyle Schwarber (C/1B) of Indiana definitely one to to follow. Best hitter by far in the Big Ten. Tremendous raw power too

That's an accurate appraisal.

That is why I left Schwarber off my list and put in Casey Gillespie. Although Gillespie might not have as high a grade for power and hit, I think he can play a better first base and the fact that he can switch hit is intriguing (although I don't have access to his splits to know if switch hitting is productive - i.e. Wieters). Plus, Gillespie is 6'5" while Schwarber is 6' and Gillespie still has the better BB%, which I think means something (but have no proof that it does). Plus, they are about the same weight and maybe Gillespie could add more muscle weight to his frame.

That is why I left Schwarber off my list and put in Casey Gillespie. Although Gillespie might not have as high a grade for power and hit, I think he can play a better first base and the fact that he can switch hit is intriguing (although I don't have access to his splits to know if switch hitting is productive - i.e. Wieters). Plus, Gillespie is 6'5" while Schwarber is 6' and Gillespie still has the better BB%, which I think means something (but have no proof that it does). Plus, they are about the same weight and maybe Gillespie could add more muscle weight to his frame.

I'd consider Gillespie as early as the third round. Definitely one of the more interesting power bats.

How good is Poche of LSU? Is he draft eligible?

Arkansas -- one of the top sophomores. Was great in Northwoods league last summer. Will be eligible in 2015.

EDIT -- Oh, you might be referring to Jared -- frosh LHP at LSU? I thought you were talking Colin (former O's draftee). Don't know anything about Jared; might see him at Vandy in March.

Arkansas -- one of the top sophomores. Was great in Northwoods league last summer. Will be eligible in 2015.

EDIT -- Oh, you might be referring to Jared -- frosh LHP at LSU? I thought you were talking Colin (former O's draftee). Don't know anything about Jared; might see him at Vandy in March.

Jared Poche is only a freshman. I don't much about him other than he was one of their more highly thought of recruits (of those that made it campus) and should have an impact as a freshman.

I watched him in the urban invitational and he looked fantastic.

The Phillies reportedly turned in one of their unsigned draft picks to the NCAA. Here is Aaron Fitt’s story.

From Aaron’s piece:

Several sources have confirmed to Baseball America that the Phillies, who drafted Wetzler in the fifth round last June but did not sign him, told the NCAA in November that Wetzler violated the NCAA’s “no agent” rule. That rule is widely disregarded by baseball prospects, whose advisers routinely negotiate with teams on players’ behalf, against NCAA rules—because that is the industry norm. As an American League scouting director told Baseball America in 2008, “Every single player that we deal with -- I don’t care what round you’re talking about -- has representation, has an agent.”

And every year, some players drafted inside the top 10 rounds elect not to sign pro contracts, often drawing the ire of the clubs that drafted them. But major league teams almost never attempt to contact the NCAA in order to report potential violations. The Phillies, according to sources, did just that with two players they drafted last year: Wetzler and sixth-round pick Jason Monda, who opted to return to Washington State for his senior year. Monda was cleared to play by the NCAA last Thursday, the day before the college season began.

When asked about the Wetzler situation Wednesday, Phillies scouting director Marti Wolever told Baseball America, “I have no comment.”

Let’s make this clear: The Phillies or the NCAA hasn’t yet explained exactly what happened. We need to know the rest of the story.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/buster-olney/post?id=4990

"When asked about the Wetzler situation Wednesday, Phillies scouting director Marti Wolever told Baseball America, “I have no comment.”

Let’s make this clear: The Phillies or the NCAA hasn’t yet explained exactly what happened. We need to know the rest of the story."

Perhaps C-o-C will get to the bottom of this.... :scratchchinhmm:

I was a tthe "Baseball at the Beach" tournament over the weekend in Myrtle Beach. Here's two draft names of interest I saw in person. (Note: These excerpts are also included in my college baseball weekend recap at Minor League Ball)

Casey Gillaspie - 1B - Wichita State - I'd never seen him in person prior to this weekend but he sure has a the look of a big league bodied first baseman right now. He's a chiseled 6'3, 235 pounder which made me wonder if he's been working out with Chris Davis. The switch hitter has easy plus power from both sides of the plate and has a solid track record of that power showing up in games. His bat speed looked above average although his swing had length at times and I noticed he can get beat inside with a good fastball. He hit .667 over the weekend and has been named MVC hitter of the week.

Ben Smith - LHP - Coastal Carolina - Baseball America has Smith rated at 48 on their preseason Top 300. It's one outing and I did see some things I liked but overall didn't come away that impressed with Smith who struggled with getting ahead in the count and lacked a plus secondary offering. He did strike out 7 but all 7 K's were batters caught looking on his fastball that can really sneak up on and freeze hitters with his deceptive release point. He mixed in a change up that flashed above average and I would've liked to see him use it more to getter a better opinion on it. His breaking ball was slurvy and needs improvement. He can throw 89-92 MPH with good arm side run which will get him drafted fairly high and give him a shot at pitching in the bigs, but he's got some work to do to remain a starter longterm in my opinion.

I was a tthe "Baseball at the Beach" tournament over the weekend in Myrtle Beach. Here's two draft names of interest I saw in person. (Note: These excerpts are also included in my college baseball weekend recap at Minor League Ball)

Casey Gillaspie - 1B - Wichita State - I'd never seen him in person prior to this weekend but he sure has a the look of a big league bodied first baseman right now. He's a chiseled 6'3, 235 pounder which made me wonder if he's been working out with Chris Davis. The switch hitter has easy plus power from both sides of the plate and has a solid track record of that power showing up in games. His bat speed looked above average although his swing had length at times and I noticed he can get beat inside with a good fastball. He hit .667 over the weekend and has been named MVC hitter of the week.

Ben Smith - LHP - Coastal Carolina - Baseball America has Smith rated at 48 on their preseason Top 300. It's one outing and I did see some things I liked but overall didn't come away that impressed with Smith who struggled with getting ahead in the count and lacked a plus secondary offering. He did strike out 7 but all 7 K's were batters caught looking on his fastball that can really sneak up on and freeze hitters with his deceptive release point. He mixed in a change up that flashed above average and I would've liked to see him use it more to getter a better opinion on it. His breaking ball was slurvy and needs improvement. He can throw 89-92 MPH with good arm side run which will get him drafted fairly high and give him a shot at pitching in the bigs, but he's got some work to do to remain a starter longterm in my opinion.

Both of these guys could potentially be available in the 3rd round for the Orioles to pick, although Gillaspie in particular, could work his way into a 2nd, maybe even late 1st rounder, if he has a big year.

I was impressed by two pitchers this weekend and I'm surprised I hadn't heard of them before.

Matt Imhof - lhp - Cal Poly

this year 1.89 era 26 k, 9 bb (3 are hbp) in 19 inn.

last year 2.79 era 95 k, 45 bb (15 are hbp) in 101 inn.

Also did well playing for Team USA over the summer

Austin Robichaux - rhp - Univ Louisiana Lafayette

this year 1.29 era, 19 k, 6 bb (1 hbp) in 21 inn.

last year 3.05 era, 88 k, 47 bb (25) in 109 inn.

They are both 6'5" or over. They are both Juniors. They should both have good upside due to size (also Robichaux is listed as 170 lbs so he has a lot of room to grow) and being young college level players (Imhof will be 20 and Robichaux will be 21 at the time of the draft).

What is the likelihood these guys make it to the third round?

Archived