• .775-.700

3 4.29%
  • .750-774

1 1.43%
  • Under .750

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

The Adam Jones Projection Thread

This is the first in a series. I'm going to try to do one a day for the next couple of weeks, then come back to this when the season is over.

I think we're about to see the first of three or four very good seasons from Jonesy. I'm excited to see AJ and CD mashing back to back this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    This is the first in a series. I'm going to try to do one a day for the next couple of weeks, then come back to this when the season is over.
    He ended up at .811 last year. I'm not sure how many singles turned into doubles or walks it would take, but I expect him to be as good, if not a tick better than last season.

I can't wait until Spring training and all of the good stuff gets going. Forget about how crappy the off season has been, I will be happy once they are playing.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfran327 View Post
    I think we're about to see the first of three or four very good seasons from Jonesy. I'm excited to see AJ and CD mashing back to back this year.
    What were the last two seasons, chopped liver? 3.8 and 4.4 rWAR, two all-star appearances (one as a starter), one Silver Slugger and two Gold Gloves sounds pretty good to me! I'd love it if Jonesy found one more gear, though. Hopefully, one that puts his OBP over .340.

What were the last two seasons, chopped liver? 3.8 and 4.4 rWAR, two all-star appearances (one as a starter), one Silver Slugger and two Gold Gloves sounds pretty good to me! I'd love it if Jonesy found one more gear, though. Hopefully, one that puts his OBP over .340.
    If our pitching makes us a respectable team, hopefully he will get some MVP votes.

I think there's one more gear. He's shown a few stretches of good plate discipline, and I think he puts it together for a full year finally.

Catch 8 is offline Plus Member Since July 2009 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I believe .330/.360/.960, 25 HR is within AJ's reach by the All-Star Break. He'll finish ~0.280/0.320/0.810, 32 HR.
    Let's hope he puts it all together.

dan-O is offline Plus Member Since 07/08 Hall of Fame Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    It's somehow easy to forget about Adam Jones. Probably because we get so hung up on that OBP. I think he manages a .330 in that department and tosses up another 30 bombs.

backwardsk is online now Plus Member Since 3/08 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Look at the contract that Ellsbury received. Look at what Jones extended for. We are fortunate to have him. Sometimes I feel that the feelings around him are somewhat down, but he's outstanding. Look at the guys we trotted out before him.

Yet we get numerous posts about what he lacks all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBird View Post
    Yet we get numerous posts about what he lacks all the time.
    I think it's because he has so much talent, and he goes through periods where he seems to take it up a level but then doesn't sustain it. The overall package is pretty darned good, and if you told me he'd have five more years in line with the last two, I'd gladly take it.

isestrex is offline Plus Member Since 08/06 Hall of Fame Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    He's found his game and his groove. We'll probably be seeing the same Adam Jones for a few years with no change

.500 SLG + .320 OBP = .820 OPS.

I don't see much deviation from these numbers for a while so it's possible he could crack .825 but I doubt he'll ever crack .850

Quote Originally Posted by backwardsk View Post
    Look at the contract that Ellsbury received. Look at what Jones extended for. We are fortunate to have him. Sometimes I feel that the feelings around him are somewhat down, but he's outstanding. Look at the guys we trotted out before him.
    He's outstanding.

I don't think he'll ever do much more than he did last season. To be honest I'd bet that would be his career year.

Quote Originally Posted by isestrex View Post
    He's found his game and his groove. We'll probably be seeing the same Adam Jones for a few years with no change

.500 SLG + .320 OBP = .820 OPS.

I don't see much deviation from these numbers for a while so it's possible he could crack .825 but I doubt he'll ever crack .850
    I agree with this. Jones has been fairly consistent from 2009-2013 trending upwards in value. Setting .820 as an over/under looks quite reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by calmunderfire View Post
    I don't think he'll ever do much more than he did last season. To be honest I'd bet that would be his career year.
    From an OPS standpoint, 2012 was better than 2013. And he was over .850 OPS with only five games to play, so I definitely think an .850+ season during Jones' career is reasonably likely.