Orioles, Suk-min Yoon have agreement, pending physical.( Passed)

CaptainRedbeard

I haven't seen anything about this guy this offseason since Tim Dierkes ranked him #36 in his top 50 free agents, so I had forgotten about him until there was a blurb today that he remains on the Twins' radar.

There doesn't seem to be much information on him, but we know a few key things about him:

GOOD:

1) He's international (KBO), but won't cost a posting fee.

2) He'll only be 27 next season.

3) He'll probably sign cheap - Dierkes predicted 2 years and 10 million, but there has been no buzz on him.

BAD:

1) Boras is his agent.

2) He doesn't throw super hard.

3) He had a shoulder injury last year.

Here's MLBTR's full profile on him, with an excerpt of the good part:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/free-agent-profile-suk-min-yoon.html

After bouncing between the rotation and bullpen for most of his career, Yoon had a breakout 2011 season, posting a 2.45 ERA, 9.3 K/9, 2.3 BB/9, and 0.52 HR/9 in 172 1/3 innings, winning the MVP award. Yoon's 2012 was excellent as well: a 3.12 ERA, 8.1 K/9, 1.9 BB/9, and 0.53 HR/9 in 153 frames. Check out all of his stats at MyKBO.net. Yoon has experience as a closer, so a relief role could be possible if necessary.

According to report two years ago from Yahoo's Jeff Passan, Yoon's fastball sat at 93 miles per hour and one scout deemed his change-up above average. Yoon has been represented for several years by Scott Boras, who told George A. King III of the New York Post, "He?s a 91 to 92 [mph] guy. He?s a good pitcher ? not an overpowering arm." King says Boras sees Yoon as a Kyle Lohse type, though it's not clear if Boras or King drew the comparison. One source I spoke to feels Yoon has the potential for three above average pitches.

He sounds to me like he could be a cheap guy to have in the mix for a rotation spot, or if we do land Burnett, as the closer. I especially like the idea of him as a closer who won't cost much. He sounds fringy as a starter, but definitely could be a good reliever if his velocity picks up a bit out of the pen.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't seen anything about this guy this offseason since Tim Dierkes ranked him #36 in his top 50 free agents, so I had forgotten about him until there was a blurb today that he remains on the Twins' radar.

There doesn't seem to be much information on him, but we know a few key things about him:

GOOD:

1) He's international (KBO), but won't cost a posting fee.

2) He'll only be 27 next season.

3) He'll probably sign cheap - Dierkes predicted 2 years and 10 million, but there has been no buzz on him.

BAD:

1) Boras is his agent.

Here's MLBTR's full profile on him, with an excerpt of the good part:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/free-agent-profile-suk-min-yoon.html

He sounds to me like he could be a cheap guy to have in the mix for a rotation spot, or if we do land Burnett, as the closer. I especially like the idea of him as a closer who won't cost much. He sounds fringy as a starter, but definitely could be a good reliever if his velocity picks up a bit out of the pen.

Forget about it. The dude had a shoulder issue last year and is from Korea....do you wanna pitch that to Uncle Pete after Wada.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell it happens but I think DD would have better luck pitching Tanaka than Yoon. Tanaka has #1 starter potential, is young and healthy. One concern though is he has thrown a ton of innings and his not particularly tall

Forget about it. The dude had a shoulder issue last year and is from Korea....do you wanna pitch that to Uncle Pete after Wada.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell it happens but I think DD would have better luck pitching Tanaka than Yoon. Tanaka has #1 starter potential, is young and healthy. One concern though is he has thrown a ton of innings and his not particularly tall

Isn't that two concerns?

Also, Wada is Japanese not Korean.

Isn't that two concerns?

Also, Wada is Japanese not Korean.

Yea my bad it certainly is two distinct and different concerns...the second popped to mind as I was typing...should of fixed it sorry.

Does not matter cause I doubt we get involved in his posting.

Yea my bad it certainly is two distinct and different concerns...the second popped to mind as I was typing...should of fixed it sorry.

Does not matter cause I doubt we get involved in his posting.

I was just messing with you. You could have even phrased it as one concern: His workload is a concern to me especially when you consider his frame.

If he wasn't a Boras client I could see where DD would be all over it, of course that doesn't mean he would get past the docs.

I was just messing with you. You could have even phrased it as one concern: His workload is a concern to me especially when you consider his frame.

If he wasn't a Boras client I could see where DD would be all over it, of course that doesn't mean he would get past the docs.

Wow that was well put....can I hire you lol?

Tanaka would be a bold bold move that would either propel DD to greatness or be his undoing if he could pull off getting Pete to sign off (no chance)

If Tanaka becomes Yu Darvish he changes everything for this club not just now but moving forward. If he is Hideki Irabu then again he changes everything for this club but not in a good way. Work or not if the organization did something that radical, based on were we sit now, I would tip my cap to them for at least giving it the old college try.

I was super high on Darvish (that just sounds wrong) when he was being posted. Thought the risk with him was minimal based on his scouting report and results. Feel pretty good about Tanaka but there is more risk there IMO than with Darvish. Not as much a slam dunk but man the kid has the potential to be special. If the stars lined up and you had Tanaka, Bundy and Gausman all living up to potential....wow. That would be devastating..... Ok now back to reality :)

BAD:

1) Boras is his agent.

Sounds like someone who should at least have interest in.

Unfortunately, I think #1 and #3 on your BAD list will keep the O's from even looking at him.

On a contract similar to Wada I would love to him come in as a bullpen guy with a distinct opportunity at a rotation slot. If Burnett is signed and you have Norris, Yoon, Britton, Gausman, and whomever else competing for a rotation spot, only good things can come. As of now we have a wide open shot in the rotation. Its going to get ugly quick without QUALITY depth.

Dan comes through.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2013/12/136_148590.html

Diminished Yoon faces murky future

Gone are the days when Kia Tigers pitcher Yoon Suk-min, left, was considered a comparable player to Los Angeles Dodgers’ Ryu Hyun-jin. Seeking a career in Major League Baseball (MLB), Yoon left for the United States in October to try out for several American teams. He returned to Korea last Saturday without a contract.

Archived