+ Reply to Thread

DrShorebird Exclusive Ubaldo Article

The Dr. comes through again.

Please thank DrShorebird if you have been enjoying his work.

wildcard is offline Plus Member since 11/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    The Dr. comes through again.

Please thank DrShorebird if you have been enjoying his work.
    The ankle injury in 2012 is a poor excuse. He went on the DL on Sept 26 with a minor ankle sprain according to reports out of Cleveland missing his last two starts. The ankle had been bothering him for two starts prior to the DLing. Going on the DL might have had a lot more to do with Jimenez being at 17 loses than any injury.

The ankle problem doesn't seem to explain why Jimenez had such a bad year.

Here is a article for Indians.com:

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/new...k_cle&c_id=cle

I have no idea how to explain Ubaldo's inconsistency. I know one thing for sure: that is a sharp orange and black power tie. Any idea where he got it?

The ankle injury could've been bothering him for a significant period of time. He may not have disclosed it to the team. It would the injury severely impacted his ability to replicate his delivery. He's a power pitcher and he needs to have the ability to push off as well as maintain his follow through. To say it's a poor excuse is not relevant because the ankle is the key to an effective pitcher. I'd be interested to see exactly when he started to decline in his starts before stating the injury was a bunk excuse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotelian View Post
    I have no idea how to explain Ubaldo's inconsistency. I know one thing for sure: that is a sharp orange and black power tie. Any idea where he got it?
    Drop in velocity? Full switch to AL from NL? Little things we don't notice can add up to a bad year and 2011/2012 were bad years for him.

Quote Originally Posted by BradyBunch View Post
    Drop in velocity? Full switch to AL from NL? Little things we don't notice can add up to a bad year and 2011/2012 were bad years for him.
    Ubaldo used to hit 98 on the radar gun, and is now mid 90 range.

Not a significant drop, but he doesn't have the very hard heat, he used to have.

I don't think there is any explanation, other than, he isn't as young as he used to be.

There was clearly some sort of problem in 2012. Major dip in K/BB when otherwise in his career he's been very consistent.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/3374...3_20130930.png

He was clearly getting hit hard in 2012 - you see a dip in GB% and a spike in fly balls and line drives.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/3374...9_20130930.png

You can then see the HR/9 spike as well
    http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/3374...4_20130930.png

His LOB% in both 2011 / 2012 were below average also - suggests some bad luck
    http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/3374...8_20130930.png

I know he didn't pitch well once he moved to Cleveland - end of 2011. But a lot can go wrong in a transition from NL to AL and to a new team / city etc. 2012 seems to be an aberration.

It's interesting that nearly every year he's pitched his FIP/xFIP have been < 4 - except 2012.

BillySmith is offline Plus Member since 01/04 - Major League Hangouter All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Mr. Negative, but was he really our target all along, per the presser? If we got Bronson, would we really be going after Jimenez? I'm loving the signing and the positive comments from the organization and Jimenez, but I wonder a bit. I suppose Arroyo/Jimenez would equal Yoon/Jimenez, but maybe not. Doesn't matter much, I'm happy.

JayThomas is offline Plus Member since 04/11 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Thanks Doc.

After reading about the presser I'm extremely pleased with his attitude. I "think" (ie, hope) he'll fit into the clubhouse real well. I love the attitude that leads to taking the ball 30x per year AND having the stuff to deliver the goods. I think this guy has the highest upside of any FA pitcher on the market this year. I'd rather have had Burnett for 1 or 2 years and not given up the pick, but on the flipside I can easily see years 3 and 4 of this contract as being absolute STEALS for the Orioles.

Quote Originally Posted by JayThomas View Post
    Thanks Doc.

After reading about the presser I'm extremely pleased with his attitude. I "think" (ie, hope) he'll fit into the clubhouse real well. I love the attitude that leads to taking the ball 30x per year AND having the stuff to deliver the goods. I think this guy has the highest upside of any FA pitcher on the market this year. I'd rather have had Burnett for 1 or 2 years and not given up the pick, but on the flipside I can easily see years 3 and 4 of this contract as being absolute STEALS for the Orioles.
    Buck and Dan are picking their friends for them.

I'm not sure an ankle injury is significantly less concern then an arm injury. Ankles get reinjured all the time as we'll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk