+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is Cal?

33rdst is offline Plus Member since 11/03 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Where is Cal?

Buck invited Frank Robinson to speak to the team today as part of his continuing effort to help our current players understand the rich tradition of the Orioles in Baltimore. As Buck and Frank approached one of the younger players in the hall Buck asked if he knew who Frank is. The rookie didn't know. Buck subsequently assigned him a home work assignment. Write a one page paper about FR. It's due tomorrow.

I found this hilarious and vintage Showalter. But it raised a question in my mind regarding who the orioles invite to do these things. Frank Robinson is an all time great no doubt and for social security recipient like myself he is easily identifiable as an O's hero. For a twenty year old kid however, not so much. Now would this young man respond to someone closer to his generation. Someone as hugely popular and identifiable as Cal Ripken Jr. Of course. So it begs the question, where's Cal? Isn't it time for Cal to step up as a oriole HOF and become more engaged with this team? He should speak to this new generation. When asked about Cal, Buck said he would love to have him here. But Cal's schedule wouldn't allow it. I think it's time for Cal to make time in his schedule. It would be huge for him to address the club.
    Last edited by 33rdst; 02-24-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 33rdst View Post
    Buck invited Frank Robinson to speak to the team today as part of his continuing effort to help our current players understand the rich tradition of the Orioles in Baltimore. As Buck and Frank approached one of the younger players in the hall Buck asked if he knew who Frank is. The rookie didn't know. Buck subsequently assigned him a home work assignment. Write a one page paper about FR. It's due tomorrow.

I found this hilarious and vintage Showalter. But it raised a question in my mind regarding who the orioles invite to do these things. Frank Robinson is an all time great no doubt and for social security recipient like myself he is easily identifiable as an O's hero. For a twenty year old kid however, not so much. Now would this young man respond to someone closer to his generation. Someone as hugely popular and identifiable as Cal Ripkin Jr. Of course. So it begs the question, where's Cal? Isn't it time for Cal to step up as a oriole HOF and become more engaged with this team? He should speak to this new generation. When asked about Cal, Buck said he would love to have him here. But Cal's schedule wouldn't allow it. I think it's time for Cal to make time in his schedule. It would be huge for him to address the club.
    He was hanging out with Eddie the other night. I don't know where he is today. Bill will be on MLBNetwork at 6 pm each day this week. Cal is looking for a job. We don't have one to give him right now. Not what he wants anyway. As long as his best friend Brady is assistant to the EVP and second in command in the front office, he can do pretty much what he chooses to with us.

MurphDogg is offline Plus Member Since 04/04 - Major League Hangouter All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Who's Cal Ripkin?

33rdst is offline Plus Member since 11/03 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    He was hanging out with Eddie the other night. I don't know where he is today. Bill will be on MLBNetwork at 6 pm each day this week. Cal is looking for a job. We don't have one to give him right now. Not what he wants anyway. As long as his best friend Brady is assistant to the EVP and second in command in the front office, he can do pretty much what he chooses to with us.
    Is he in Sarasota?

Quote Originally Posted by 33rdst View Post
    Is he in Sarasota?
    Would not think so. He has heavy commitments. Plus he owns the Rays minor league team right down the road. He usually stops by for a Spring training game though.

Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    Would not think so. He has heavy commitments. Plus he owns the Rays minor league team right down the road. He usually stops by for a Spring training game though.
    Yea he's been retired for nearly fourteen years. It's time for him to give back to the team a little.

waroriole is online now Plus Member Since 6/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphDogg View Post
    Who's Cal Ripkin?
    All time biggest pet peeve. You're an Oriole fan and you don't spell Ripken properly? And it's not a typo, it's on the other side of the keyboard.

LayzieDES is offline Plus Member Since 01/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Number5 View Post
    Well now I want KFC.

LayzieDES is offline Plus Member Since 01/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by waroriole View Post
    All time biggest pet peeve. You're an Oriole fan and you don't spell Ripken properly? And it's not a typo, it's on the other side of the keyboard.

24fps is offline Plus Member Since 4/08 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by waroriole View Post
    For some odd reason a lot of good Orioles fans including myself have made that mistake more than once. I've always wondered if it might have to do with learning to read with phonics vs. whole language or something along those lines. I wouldn't read too much into it.

OFFNY is offline Plus Member since 3/11 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphDogg View Post
    Who's Cal Ripkin?
    He's William Campbell's evil twin.

CA-ORIOLE is online now Plus Members Since 9/11 Hall of Fame Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I miss Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by OFFNY View Post
    He's William Campbell's evil twin.
    Paul is dead man. Miss him. Miss him.