Jake Stinnett - RHP, Maryland

Stinnett is off to a great start as the Terps Friday night starter. I've also heard he's gotten his fastball up to 94-95 mph at times. He might make a nice Senior value sign for someone. As a local kid, I'm sure he'll be on the O's radar.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year's Friday night starter, Jimmy Reed, was drafted in the 6th round by the Cardinals, posted a 2.05 ERA in short season ball last summer and appears slated for Peoria this season. A colleague of mine is his uncle and gives me the scoop from time to time.

Last year's Friday night starter, Jimmy Reed, was drafted in the 6th round by the Cardinals, posted a 2.05 ERA in short season ball last summer and appears slated for Peoria this season. A colleague of mine is his uncle and gives me the scoop from time to time.
Stinnett was lights out against an 11th ranked NC State squad last night:

8 IP, 4 H, 1 BB, and 14 K's

• 2 months later...
No; he's off the board no later than second round, I imagine.

You think so? I like Stinnett, but his velocity falls off pretty quickly after the first few innings and although his sinking fastball and slider are solid average offerings, I'm not sure he screams out to me as a second rounder. I certianly don't know everyone in the draft, but for me, he's a 4th/5th starter with a low side of a 7th innings sinker/slider guy. Now I haven't seen him since late March so perhaps his change improved and his velocity was able to hold once the weather warmed, but his absolute ceiling is a 3rd starter and that's if his change develops and he's able to keep his impeccable command of his sinker/slider combo. wherever that falls on the board is where he should be drafted but normally that's a 3rd/4th round projection from the past drafts.

You think so? I like Stinnett, but his velocity falls off pretty quickly after the first few innings and although his sinking fastball and slider are solid average offerings, I'm not sure he screams out to me as a second rounder. I certianly don't know everyone in the draft, but for me, he's a 4th/5th starter with a low side of a 7th innings sinker/slider guy. Now I haven't seen him since late March so perhaps his change improved and his velocity was able to hold once the weather warmed, but his absolute ceiling is a 3rd starter and that's if his change develops and he's able to keep his impeccable command of his sinker/slider combo. wherever that falls on the board is where he should be drafted but normally that's a 3rd/4th round projection from the past drafts.

He hasnt had issues holding velo this spring; was throwing in the mid-90s in the 8th inning during ACC tourney (might have made a nice chunk of money striking out 10 Cavs to no walks). I agree his issue will be lack of change-up and he'll get dinged for mechanics by some clubs (though he's cleaner than he was last year). Slider has been above-average this spring and flashes plus. He has gotten some heat as a potential late-first rounder on a pre-draft deal, but I think there are enough other options out there that it would be a stretch to go that route. I have been slow to come around, but one evaluator who saw him four or five times throughout the spring said the fastball-slider was on par with Freeland and Nola. Seems rich to me, but I have to admit I was impressed with the ACC tourney and regionals starts.

FWIW, here is my write-up from my article at BP:

tinyurl.com/2014PosRev-RHP

Jake Stinnett (RHP, Maryland)

Height/Wieght: 6-foot-4, 205 pounds

B/T: R/R

Draft Day Age: 22y 1m

Projected Slot: Round 1 to Round 3, as high as supplemental-first round

Scouting Video:

Stinnett wowed this spring in ACC play thanks to a plus fastball-slider combo and aggressive demeanor on the mound. Stinnett has worked to simplify his mechanics, though he still throws with a lot of effort for a starter. He has the size to weather a long pro season, and shows no issue maintaining his plus velocity late into games, regularly topping 95 mph after turning over lineups.

His best secondary is a hard low- to mid-80s slider that he relies heavily upon, and he wields the pitch with confidence and solid command. His low-80s changeup is well behind the other two offerings, but could be serviceable in time as he improves his command of the pitch and his release. Stinnett is a senior sign, leaving him without much negotiating leverage and adding to his draft stock. He fits as a back-end arm, perhaps as much as a mid-rotation producer if the changeup comes along, with a fallback as a late-inning arm with power stuff. He could come off the board as early as the late first round on a pre-draft deal, but fits better somewhere in the supplemental-first to second range.

He hasnt had issues holding velo this spring; was throwing in the mid-90s in the 8th inning during ACC tourney (might have made a nice chunk of money striking out 10 Cavs to no walks). I agree his issue will be lack of change-up and he'll get dinged for mechanics by some clubs (though he's cleaner than he was last year). Slider has been above-average this spring and flashes plus. He has gotten some heat as a potential late-first rounder on a pre-draft deal, but I think there are enough other options out there that it would be a stretch to go that route. I have been slow to come around, but one evaluator who saw him four or five times throughout the spring said the fastball-slider was on par with Freeland and Nola. Seems rich to me, but I have to admit I was impressed with the ACC tourney and regionals starts.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Astros take him with their Competitive Balance Pick or 2nd Round Pick. I'd imagine they'll need to save some money somewhere having the 1st overall pick. I agree with you that he doesn't make it past the 2nd round, if for no other reason, because he's a Senior.

Nice to know about the velocity. I didn't see that kind of velocity when I saw him and it trailed off after the 1st hovering between 89-92 which he held throughout the game. But that was earlier in the year and on a cool night. I like the fastball-slider combo and I could see someone thinking they can develop the change with him and go all in as a starter. Saying that, me personally, he's a guy I'd like to get in the 3rd or 4th round because I'd rather have my first two round guys have a higher celing. You know the board way better than me though.

Nice to know about the velocity. I didn't see that kind of velocity when I saw him and it trailed off after the 1st hovering between 89-92 which he held throughout the game. But that was earlier in the year and on a cool night. I like the fastball-slider combo and I could see someone thinking they can develop the change with him and go all in as a starter. Saying that, me personally, he's a guy I'd like to get in the 3rd or 4th round because I'd rather have my first two round guys have a higher celing. You know the board way better than me though.

I wouldn't draft him. There are too many other options that better fit my preferences. But he should be cheap and had great production this spring, so he'll could be off the board early to the right team. I'd say, generally, he's a top 75ish profile.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Astros take him with their Competitive Balance Pick or 2nd Round Pick. I'd imagine they'll need to save some money somewhere having the 1st overall pick. I agree with you that he doesn't make it past the 2nd round, if for no other reason, because he's a Senior.

So the Astros could end up with two local kids, Stinnett and Hader from the Bud Norris deal. Interesting

Archived