Matt Joyce - DH

Jose Molina - C

Yunel Escobar - SS

David Price - LHP (10-8, 3.33 ERA)

http://baseballpress.com/lineup.php

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AA says he and LaCava were blindsided by Ervin Santana reneging.

I recently saw something in USA Today, an interview with Ervin Santana, I think it was with Jorge Ortiz and he said something to the effect that, “I was all set to go to Toronto. I was prepared to go to Toronto, but it didn’t get finalized,” or something to that effect.

So, following up on his comments, it’s rare you see me react that way. Like I alluded to before, when things leak to that magnitude, from our standpoint, almost always we have a deal done. I think Ervin was very accurate when he said he was set to go to Toronto.

Deals don’t get finalized until someone can get on a plane and come and take their (medical) exam and sign the contract, but deals do get agreed upon. You need to agree to a deal, before someone does get on a plane and does take that exam. But again, until things are signed, you can’t do anything about that.

When you agree to a deal, where I come from, that deal’s a deal. But again, deals aren’t finalized until players get examined and players sign.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/2014/03/28/blue_jays_preview_q_a_with_alex_anthopoulos.html

Did you have the impression that Santana was going to sign last weekend? There were obviously reports about a deadline being set…

“Um, yeah, you know what, I’d rather not say. I’d probably rather not say.”

You’re obviously being careful with what you say, but on a personal level are you surprised he didn’t end up signing with the Jays?

“That’s another good one. I’d probably rather not say on that one as well.”

Why don’t you want to say…

“You know what, I want to be respectful of everybody. Like I said, I wish him the best, I would have loved to have had him, I know a lot of our players would have loved to have him. I think it’s pretty obvious we were involved, it didn’t work out, I’m trying to take the high road here.”

But you thought it was done on Saturday?

“I don’t think I’ve ever come out and said that. In fairness, I don’t know that I want to characterize the discussions or the negotiations.

Obviously it’s done, he made his decision, he’s in Atlanta. Great signing for them, I wish him the best and sorry it didn’t work out with us.”

There’s obviously a lot you’re not telling us, do the players know the whole story?

“Obviously some guys have relationships with the player. I think the players that are close to him, the players that have relationships, know more than the players don’t have a relationship with him. They were obviously talking to him and trying to recruit him.”

And then this:

You said the reason you were given was that Santana had a desire to pitch in the National League…

“Strong, very strong.”

But the Braves weren’t even in the mix on the weekend when a deal was supposedly done or at least close. It was only after the injuries….

“That’s a good point. That’s a very good point. I think that’s a very good point.”

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2014/03/12/anthopoulos-speaks-santana-fallout/

• 2 weeks later...

7-plus shutout innings for Buehrle today, although he did issue 4 free passes (3 walks, and a hit batsman.)

4 singles, no extra-base hits.

MARK BUEHRLE O (vs. INDIANS, 4/19)

IP:. 7 - PLUS

H:o 4 (4 Singles)

R:O 0

BB: 3 *

SO: 3

Pitches: 107 (58 Strikes, 49 Balls)

2014 ERA: 0.64

* Buehrle also had 1 Hit Batsman.

DUSTIN McGOWAN O (vs. ORIOLES, 4/23)

IP:. 4 - PLUS

H:o 5 (2 Home Runs, 1 Double, 2 Singles)

R:O 6

BB: 1 *

SO: 5

Pitches: 70 (43 Strikes, 27 Balls)

2014 ERA: 6.88

* McGowan also had 1 Hit Batsman.

PITCHES BY INNINGS

13 (10 Strikes, 3 Balls)

41 (31 Strikes, 1 Balls)

24 (16 Strikes, 8 Balls)

15 (91 Strikes, 6 Balls)

14 (51 Strikes, 9 Balls) **

** McGowan did not record any outs before departing in the 5th inning.

OPENING DAY

TORONTO BLUE JAYS

Jose Reyes - SS

Melky Cabrera - LF

Jose Bautista - RF

Edwin Encarnacion - 1B

Dioner Navarro - DH

Brett Lawrie - 3B

Colby Rasmus - CF

Maicer Izturis - 2B

Josh Thole - C

R.A. Cockey - RHP (14-13, 4.21 ERA)

TAMPA BAY DEVIL RAYS

David DeJesus - LF

Wil Myers - RF

Ben Zobrist - 2B

Evan Longoria - 3B

James Loney - 1B

Desmond Jennings - CF

Matt Joyce - DH

Jose Molina - C

Yunel Escobar - SS

David Price - LHP (10-8, 3.33 ERA)

http://baseballpress.com/lineup.php

Just noticed R.A. Cockey hahaha.

o

Excellent game today for Cockey.

R.A. DICKEY O (vs. RED SOX, 4/27)

IP:. 6.33

H:o 5 (1 Double, 4 Singles)

R:O 1

BB: 0 *

SO: 6

Pitches: 95 (62 Strikes, 33 Balls)

2014 ERA: 5.09

* Cockey had 1 Hit Batsman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Blues Jays vs. A's this weekend, starting tonight. Very interested to see how this series shakes out. On the mound for the Jays tonight? The Aussie, Liam Hendricks, who you may remember we DFA'd very early in spring training, is making his season debut. Kazmir going for the A's.

Chavez and Dickey on Sat.

Pomeranz and Happ on Sun.

Blues Jays vs. A's this weekend, starting tonight. Very interested to see how this series shakes out. On the mound for the Jays tonight? The Aussie, Liam Hendricks, who you may remember we DFA'd very early in spring training, is making his season debut. Kazmir going for the A's.

Chavez and Dickey on Sat.

Pomeranz and Happ on Sun.

Wow. Hendricks did well.

Archived