The Defense Thread, 2014

Frobby

Please contribute to this thread this year. Any defensive play worthy of note, good or bad.

Game 1, March 31

- Didn't see it, but I read that Cruz made a nice jumping catch going back on a ball early in the game.

- Adam Jones made a tough catch on a ball hit almost directly over his head, a few feet short of the wall.

- Ryan Flaherty made several nice plays, including a barehanded play on a high chopper by Pierzynski with runners on.

- Wieters blocked a breaking ball in the dirt for strike three with the speedy Bradley on 2B and gunned out the runner at 1B while freezing Bradley.

- Meek fielded a ball that ricocheted off Davis and threw out a hitter from his knees.

Overall, a game worthy of the 2013 defense.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please contribute to this thread this year. Any defensive play worthy of note, good or bad.

Game 1, March 31

- Didn't see it, but I read that Cruz made a nice jumping catch going back on a ball early in the game.

- Adam Jones made a tough catch on a ball hit almost directly over his head, a few feet short of the wall.

- Ryan Flaherty made several nice plays, including a barehanded play on a high chopper by Pierzynski with runners on.

- Wieters blocked a breaking ball in the dirt for strike three with the speedy Bradley on 2B and gunned out the runner at 1B while freezing Bradley.

- Meek fielded a ball that ricocheted off Davis and threw out a hitter from his knees.

Overall, a game worthy of the 2013 defense.

lol you heard wrong. He did his typical leap-at-the-wrong-time-because-he-misread-the-ball jumping catch that popped out of his glove initially but managed to find its way back in for the out.

It was more of a miracle than a nice catch.

EDIT: here it is http://m.mlb.com/video/v31722391/?game_pk=380541

Game 1, March 31

LOL, you heard wrong. He did his typical leap-at-the-wrong-time-because-he-misread-the-ball jumping catch that popped out of his glove initially but managed to find its way back in for the out.

It was more of a miracle than a nice catch.

EDIT: Here it is http://m.mlb.com/video/v31722391/?game_pk=380541

Correct.

I was really scared when I saw him go to grab the ball, even before it almost popped out of his mitt. He didn't look comfortable and/or confidant on that play at all.

Although, I believe that he DID make a nice catch 2 innings later on Nava's line drive to leftfield to end the 4th inning.

I wonder how many G Cruz has played LF in OPACY. Like maybe never. I think he can be excused for not knowing where the wall is. He has looked pretty good in the field and on the bases all spring.

That's about right. People are blowing his defense all out of proportion. When he makes a number of bad plays and it becomes-oh, wait we have a guy who is mainly on the team to play LF for his glove.

Is anyone really worried that Cruz will be out there butchering balls all year in the OF?

That's about right. People are blowing his defense all out of proportion. When he makes a number of bad plays and it becomes-oh, wait we have a guy who is mainly on the team to play LF for his glove.

Is anyone really worried that Cruz will be out there butchering balls all year in the OF?

Yes... and I'm not basing my opinion on one game for the Orioles. He's been playing poor defense for years...

Yes... and I'm not basing my opinion on one game for the Orioles. He's been playing poor defense for years...

I'm not debating that, but do you think he'll be allowed to butcher balls if he plays inadequate defense? That is, do you think Buck continues running him out there?

What do you mean by poor? A few runs below average like the metrics show him to be, or Mark Reynolds poor? His numbers in RF the past few years are actually better than Markakis'

What do you mean by poor? A few runs below average like the metrics show him to be, or Mark Reynolds poor? His numbers in RF the past few years are actually better than Markakis'

Example no. 7,009 of why those numbers should be taken w a grain of salt.

We've all watched Markakis for years. Anybody else remember him looking as confused on a ball as Cruz did today? And trust me, this isn't a one off. This is how Cruz plays the outfield.

I was in the left field bleachers for the game yesterday, and I thought Cruz got a good jump/read on every ball hit is way. He's not the most graceful defender, but I thought he played about as well defensively that we can ask of him.

Not to keep harping on about Cruz but I do think the wind was doing some crazy things to the fly balls so that needs to be considered.

I'm really hoping the team can play defense like they did last year. I realize it was record breaking defense and will be hard to repeat but I feel the D being as good as it was played a huge role in the winning season.

I think MLBTRADERUMORS said it best.

Cruz is never going to win a GG, however, the critics that cry about his defense are overly critical, he is far from the worse starting outfielder playing.

Not that far.... UZR ranked him 50th out of 62 qualified outfielders last year.

Archived