Orioles in 1st place

oldbird

We've got our "easy schedule" ahead of us also. We play 26 consecutive games against teams currently .500 or below from August 15 through September 10.

Please show me our easy part of the schedule. The only 3 teams remaining that arent good are the white sox, cubs, and red sox.

Please show me our easy part of the schedule. The only 3 teams remaining that arent good are the white sox, cubs, and red sox.

Starts with Cleveland Aug 15th and ends with Boston September 10th, technically as of today all against sub-.500 teams. But, a couple of things:

1) TB, CLE, and CHW are all on the cusp.

2) I'm not sure I even want to play this run of "bad" teams. The Orioles have a bad habit of playing to competition.

Starts with Cleveland Aug 15th and ends with Boston September 10th, technically as of today all against sub-.500 teams. But, a couple of things:

2) I'm not sure I even want to play this run of "bad" teams. The Orioles have a bad habit of playing to competition.

And no matter what. The Orioles will be in first place in August.

Last I looked, we were well over .500 against the sub-.500 teams. But we just need to keep doing what we've been doing. We're on a 91-71 pace and that should do the trick.

Against current sub .500 teams in the AL the O's have a winning record against Tampa Bay, Boston, CWS, Houston, Texas, and a split record so far against Cleveland. The only one they have a below .500 record against is Minnesota, by one game, big deal. Maybe they could have won a few more of those games, but considering that's five teams, two of which are in our division, I have no reason to be disappointed in that or believe that the Orioles can't beat anybody or any given day.

Ugh! Why can't the Jays, Yanks and TB lose!?!?! To be fair they are probably saying the same thing about us :D

Silver lining, Red Sox lose again.

This. It was even worse when we were on the west coast, and Toronto/NY had won before we even took the field. And yet.... so far, so good.

o

ORIOLES .....)0O 60-46 OOOOO --

BLUE JAYS)..O 59-50 OOOOO 2.5

YANKEES .....)Oo 55-52 OOOOO 5.5

D-RAYS........).0O 53-55 OOOOO 8.0

RED SOX OOOOO 48-60 OOOOO 13.0

The Yanks have regressed some, losing 4 of 5. The Rays haven't really regressed, but they had a loss followed by an off-day, which set them back significantly since both the Orioles and Blue Jays played and won on those days -- knocking them back by a game and a half-game, respectively.

Feels like it was just a week ago that I was biting my nails about the Yankees and hoping for the Jays to beat them. Now the Jays are looking like they are the real threat.

The Jays have 9 games left against the Rays and 7 against the Yankees, before the season is done. This trio of teams will continue to beat up on one another (and we'll continue to beat up on them) throughout the season.

Oddly enough, the Rays have to play 9 games against both the Yankees and the Jays before the season is done. They could either take that opportunity to leap-frog into contention, or that could be what buries them.

But that's not the most extreme AL East schedule of the bunch. The Orioles' schedule -- of course -- takes the cake: we play the Yankees 10 more times, the Jays 9 more times, and the Rays 7 more.

My conclusion is that, with 56 games remaining in the season, the Orioles are going to have to play very well in their 26 remaining games against the AL East contenders (Rays/Jays/Yanks), and in order for us to maximize our chances, ideally the Jays, Rays and Yanks will end up splitting their series. Since all of those teams are potential contenders, the worst possible outcome is for one team to sweep another, because that makes it marginally harder for us to keep in first, realistically assuming that we are going to lose at least 30-40% of our games in the BEST case (it's baseball, after all).