+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Were the Orioles prepared to start the season?

As I watched the Spring Training wind down, it occurred to me that the starting lineup didn't seem to be playing much but I chalked it up to Buck knowing what he was doing and everything would be OK for opening day.
    Now that I see the slow start with our offense, everyone wants to give all the credit to the pitching we have been facing but I checked out Spring Training stats for all the teams in the AL East and Detroit and found that the average number of at bats for everyone but the Orioles was 45-55 at bats for starters in the Spring and the average at bats for the Orioles was 32-45 at bats. They were one week behind every other team in their preparation.
    Sure, we can blame bad weather, paternity leaves that lasted a week and a series of aches and pains that everyone would have played through had it been the regular season but the fact remains that they are just beginning to hit in game 4 one week late. I think Buck is great but I think he has to start kicking some butts and getting these guys ready to play.

I think the os are just showing everything that we were concerned about. It just so happens it's at week one, not week 50. We had stretches like this last year, and will again this year. Our lack of team obp will hurt us. If the power is hot for stretches, it will negate that, but when the power isn't there, we are not a good offense. The hope is that the power will be there enough. Also, the pitching is a concern, as it was to start the season. We don't have a true ace, but have a bunch of guys who will usually keep us in games. We've been in all games outside of today's. I don't think it's time to panic, but I do think we can clearly see how this could be a sub500 team. I'm not saying it will be, I'm just saying that these 4 games reminded us that no matter how good we envision things going in our heads, the ball could easily bounce the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
    I think the os are just showing everything that we were concerned about. It just so happens it's at week one, not week 50. We had stretches like this last year, and will again this year. Our lack of team obp will hurt us. If the power is hot for stretches, it will negate that, but when the power isn't there, we are not a good offense. The hope is that the power will be there enough. Also, the pitching is a concern, as it was to start the season. We don't have a true ace, but have a bunch of guys who will usually keep us in games. We've been in all games outside of today's. I don't think it's time to panic, but I do think we can clearly see how this could be a sub500 team. I'm not saying it will be, I'm just saying that these 4 games reminded us that no matter how good we envision things going in our heads, the ball could easily bounce the other way.
    Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnaby Graves View Post
    Good post.
    The op could be on to something here. I always thought Buck did a great job in preparing his teams in ST. That was always his forte. Now, after this ST and this awful start, I am not too sure about that..

epic is offline Plus Member since 9/12 Major Leagues Reputation
    Ah yes, this AWFUL 1-3 start. We haven't even played 5 games yet and we've been right there able to take 2 of the 3 losses so far but came up just short.

Let's just say I'm not anywhere near the cliff. I still think we have a very solid team. The bats will come around.

Good post. In years past he had the last week or so reserverd basically for regulars. This year it was the guys fighting for the last roster spot.

Very good observation, that could be an issue no doubt.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    This is balanced and well-put. I suppose having fewer at bats this spring could have had some impact on our slow start at the plate, but it may just be a matter of having a cold start. "Trends" at the start of the year always seem to get overanalyzed and blown out of proportion. That said, let's score some runs already!

section18 is offline Plus Member Since 12/07 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I agree with these comments. The Orioles remind me of the Ravens. They never let their starters play enough in my opinion in exhibition games (Orioles) and preseason games (Ravens). The result is their sluggish to poor performances to start the season. To compound things with the Orioles they were given the worst schedule in baseball to start the season and then they have to play in damp and cold weather the first month of the season. I have wondered about Buck pulling guys so early in ST games and leaving them back at the complex to avoid bus trips and sometimes playing college teams or minor league teams. I think our hitting coaches name will come up for criticism sooner this year if the poor hitting and high strikeout counts continue.
    Last edited by section18; 04-04-2014 at 10:13 PM.

oriole is offline Plus Member since 01/12 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Situational hitting and patience are not the O's strength and it's being exploited very early. We won't end the season 1-161 that's for sure, but unless they change the approach (and I think they will) this is going to be a grueling season.

brianod is offline Plus Member since 8/11 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I am still very positive about this year. However, if we have accepted instead of tried to improve our obp, that would be very disappointing. Bottom line is that we have a good offense but if they don't stop swinging at pitchers pitches, it will end up below average.

Game 1: They won
    Game 2: Lackey was dealing. Despite that the O's were in the game.
    Game 3: The only game I thought they looked sloppy and unprepared.
    Game 4: Got to the team hotel at 4 am in the morning. 1 pm game. They weren't prepared for the day. Terrible Scheduling.

JayThomas is offline Plus Member since 04/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by brianod View Post
    ... if they don't stop swinging at pitchers pitches, it will end up below average.
    That's sort of a truism in baseball I suspect. No team is going to score a lot if they continually swing at pitchers' pitches.

I don't think that anyone - Buck, Presley, AJ, anyone - is going to argue the following two points:

1) swinging at pitches out of the strike zone is bad
    2) getting on base is good

Now, how to take those two ideals into account within the context of the generally aggressive approach of Buck, Presley, and most of our hitters, is the question.

atomic is offline Plus Member since 03/12 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation
    If the Orioles were 3 and 1 would you be starting threads about how well prepared they were? Seems like grasping at straws.

WEAVERMAN is offline Plus Member Since 02/03 - All-Star Hangouter Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Throw in the fact the Orioles play 76 games against the AL East and they have the toughest schedule in baseball, and sub .500 is possible. Let's get this thing turned around this weekend.

This isn't a particularly astute point.Could be Capt.Obvious. If we don't pitch really well, this team
    could easily be a last place team. Right now its early but at least to start the season our pitchers all
    have faded after 5 and not looked dominant in any way. I'll know more the second go round, but if Im
    Buck I put on a calm face while I think seriously of Gausman, Britton, maybe Bundy and Santana as
    we head into June and things aren't better. Maybe earlier than that.