Hunter Harvey, stud

Frobby

First start in low A: 6 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K's. 44 of his 55 pitches were strikes, and he had 8 ground outs to 2 fly outs. Yes you read correctly, he threw 55 pitches in 6 innings of work.

I guess I can't say he's too good for low A yet, but...WOW!

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First start in low A: 6 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K's. 44 of his 55 pitches were strikes, and he had 8 ground outs to 2 fly outs. Yes you read correctly, he threw 55 pitches in 6 innings of work.

I guess I can't say he's too good for low A yet, but...WOW!

Yes, he is stud in the making. One of my bold predictions for the minor league season is Hunter Harvey establishing himself at a Top 20 prospect in the game. Off to a great start!

Will never understand how he didn't go higher in the draft considering he had no college commitment. I though that alone at the time would have someone "reach" for him. Bet the Blue Jays wish they took at number 11 instead of Phil Bickford, who's now at Cal State Fullerton.

This is really impressive and I hope his father will continue to monitor him and stay in the picture. It's not warm yet and the weather apparently didn't bother him. He'll be at Frederick or Bowie by July if not sooner. Thanks for the details.

They are...He only threw 55 pitches in that start. That's how good of a start it was

But Bundy wasn't pitch count based. It was 3 innings, then building up to 4, then 5. Now obviously if his pitch count got elevated they wouldn't have let him go that long, but it was never more than that regardless.

I'm sure they're still monitoring him very closely though.

But Bundy wasn't pitch count based. It was 3 innings, then building up to 4, then 5. Now obviously if his pitch count got elevated they wouldn't have let him go that long, but it was never more than that regardless.

I'm sure they're still monitoring him very closely though.

Are you thinking they "shut off the valve" too quickly with Bundy in his starts and may have lead to the injury? Just curious...

Are you thinking they "shut off the valve" too quickly with Bundy in his starts and may have lead to the injury? Just curious...

I have no idea. I suspect that Bundy's injury would have happened regardless but it's impossible to tell.

Just noting that they are treating Hunter a little differently. Now maybe like Slade-OH mentioned he was just so efficient that they decided to let him go longer.

I have no idea. I suspect that Bundy's injury would have happened regardless but it's impossible to tell.

Just noting that they are treating Hunter a little differently. Now maybe like Slade-OH mentioned he was just so efficient that they decided to let him go longer.

Gotchya and I agree it does seem like a different approach on the face of it, but probably just pitch efficiency is the reasoning. Regardless, what a start! Have to admit I am getting excited about the possibility of three potential 1/2 starters in our rotation in the near future.

So why aren't they giving Hunter the Bundy treatment? 3 innings to start and building up? New regime? Felt it didn't help Bundy?

Harvey pitched towards the end of last season, whereas Bundy was basically inactive from June on in his draft year. In fact, Harvey actually threw less innings in his first eight pro starts than Bundy.

Harvey also doesn't have the same concerns with workload that Bundy did -- rather, thanks to his father's pro background, he was very well managed through high school.

ph_640451.jpg

Imagine the projection if they could get him a sammich or two in him!

That's really what is so exciting about him. He has a nice frame to add some mass too and with that should come a tick or two or three on an already plus fastball.

Harvey pitched towards the end of last season, whereas Bundy was basically inactive from June on in his draft year. In fact, Harvey actually threw less innings in his first eight pro starts than Bundy.

Harvey also doesn't have the same concerns with workload that Bundy did -- rather, thanks to his father's pro background, he was very well managed through high school.

wish somebody had looked out for Ben McDonald when he was in college and overused his arm. One could only image what he could have been.

wish somebody had looked out for Ben McDonald when he was in college and overused his arm. One could only image what he could have been.

It would be really hard to show that McDonald's college career impacted his pro career. He'd thrown about 1,000 pro innings before he got hurt.

Archived