Faust, Shaq, and Roddy Peters to Transfer

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good, great, grand.

If WAR was a basketball stat, Faust would be at about a -4.

Shaq is utterly useless and Peters is too limited skill wise.

We are going to be overcrowded at guard next year, so I don't really see the downside to this. Cleare is definitely no loss. Trimming the fat.

I am sad to see Peters leave. We all know we are thin at point guard, and he is a PG. He was only a freshman last year. I thought he had skill. Everyone was saying how Allen would be better at SG, now he is forced to play PG still (I thought he did fairly well at PG admittedly). I just hope Trimble is ready to play and he's the player everyone says he is.

Cleare and Faust I couldn't care less about, they are horse feed. We have 5 freshmen coming in anyway, all the more room needed.

I'm not disappointed at losing any of these guys, but it's never good when you hear 3 players are leaving the same year.

I think Peters could have been better had a coach like Gary coached him. Or maybe he would have never been at MD with Gary as coach. Who knows.

I've been disappointed in Faust. I always thought he would be better. He just can't shoot.

Cleare, he's just another in the line of big guys who were recruited just because they are big. Steve Goins, Jerome Burney, Braxton Dupree, Hossan Fofana to name a few guys just like him.

I am sad to see Peters leave. We all know we are thin at point guard, and he is a PG. He was only a freshman last year. I thought he had skill. Everyone was saying how Allen would be better at SG, now he is forced to play PG still (I thought he did fairly well at PG admittedly). I just hope Trimble is ready to play and he's the player everyone says he is.

Cleare and Faust I couldn't care less about, they are horse feed. We have 5 freshmen coming in anyway, all the more room needed.

Unless Trimble takes the role by storm (which is certainly possible), Allen is destined to get most of his minutes at PG for Wells' senior year whether Peters is on the team or not. If Trimble isn't ready to take the role by storm (which is certainly possible too) he still is going to get minutes over Peters. Peters is a potential star in a conference like the Colonial Athletic Conference getting 35+ min. per game.

Faust is rumored to be graduating already. Good for him; he'll be eligible immediately for sure. It's certainly possible that Cleare will be more ready at the beginning of next year than Cekovsky or Reed. But on a good team, the minutes that those guys aren't ready for belong to Mitchell or Cleare, not Mitchell and Cleare. That's especially true assuming Dodd is still in the mix too. And Cekovsky can hopefully play the 4 some.

Surprising news but not shocking. Have to hold Turgeon a bit responsible although I expected more from Faust. I agree doesn't look good to have three defections in same year. What message are you sending to recruits? I know people are down Shaquille but wonder what a coach like Izzo would do with him?? If these guys develop elsewhere you really have to take a hard look at Turgeon.

Yeah, it's possible that if MD had some decent upperclassmen, we'd still be high on Cleare's 'potential' and content to see if he continues to develop.

I had been talking all year about Shaq or Peters being the likely scenario but wow I was not expecting all three. I will pat myself on the back about predicting Peters leaving very early on. With Allen in front of him and people expecting huge things from Trimble, he had to look at it and see very little playing time. That being said I'm very surprised all three are leaving.

Shaq: I thought Shaq was definitely gone until he made a decent late push. I thought that was enough for him to stick around. I think his big body still could have been useful in limited minutes. I also thought Turgeon had the most personal connection to him since he had recruiting him while he was at Texas A&M. But I respect Shaq wanting to go somewhere and get some minutes.

Peters: I thought Peters would feel the minutes squeeze as I mentioned. What sucks is he had something to offer and I think was a better slasher than Allen or Trimble will be. People shouldn't forget that he was a big time recruit and definitely has potential to excel elsewhere. Needs a jumper but has the length and quickness.

Faust: For as much frustration as Faust gave me I expected him to finish up his career at UMD. He was a solid defender so we will miss that part of his game.

I tend to agree with many of the comments above on two things. First, UMD shouldn't miss the talent of these 3 too much. Second, I don't think this makes Turgeon or the program look too great. Of course, winning solves everything. So if these moves help the team win in the future then everyone will forget about the transfers. But if UMD struggles again then the questions will be even bigger. Howard, Faust, Shaq, Peters all within 2 years will be viewed as a negative.

To me Faust is the biggest loss. This program just hasn't had Sr.'s in so long. We still have Dez and Smo. Seniors win in CBB. Peters was done when he lost minutes to Ram in the non conference. I mean C'mon you can't beat out that dude. Cleare was just a numbers thing. I still think he is better than Dodd. But the difference between the two is that Dodd was never highly rated and Cleare was. Therefore Cleare had expectations on his minutes. Sitting out a year will help him because of how late he picked up basketball in life.

What I don't like about this is that we lose Faust obviously. I feel like he got a raw deal at MD. He stayed after Gary left when Gibbs and Anderson left. He was asked to play out of position as a ball handler/PG instead of a slasher. He and Dez basically play the same game just Dez is way better. I'd like to see us add a grad transfer that can play some point or a juco guy. Let's just all hope that Reed qualifies academically and the foreign dude doesn't get the Len treatment and has to sit out the first semester.

Excellent news. Sad to see it happen though.

Do you blame the players or Turgeon for the lack of player development? I'm going with the latter.

All of them were relatively highly regarded recruits who didn't develop at all - which is a problem. They were recruited over, so we won't miss them, but we can't have this happening every year. I've never seen so many players transfer over a 3 year period.

Is there a question or concern about Reed's academics?? If he is ineligible, that would be a huge blow. Perhaps there is handwriting on the wall with this European signing?? Can this Euro kid play center ?? Or is he just another Smo, big kid with no inside game?? If we have two openings, we need to get some Juco size and a point guard in here without fail or we're totally cooked.

This is the only story I can find about Reed's academics: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2014/04/09/evaluating-the-maryland-basketball-roster-after-three-transfers/?tid=hpModule_c7c1f590-868f-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394 Other than that I can only find people on message boards discussing Reed's academics. It would be a huge loss. Reed should be able to step right in and be a rim protector. He might get pushed around by thicker post players but he should be able to help stop easy drives to the lane. His offensive game will probably only consist of running the court (since he is faster than your average big man) and offensive put backs.

From what I've read Cekovsky should be able to play center but needs to become a little more willing to get physical and crash the boards. I too hope he isn't just like Smo on the defensive side especially. Luckily, from the limited video he looks much more athletic than Smo and hopefully that translates into better defense. Offensively, he shows touch and some post moves but seems to rely more on beating people with the threat of his outside shot and his speed and length. Again, since he is more athletic than Smo that will hopefully translate into a more versatile player.

Last thing regarding the transfers: Winning cures a lot of things but I hope the guys remaining (Layman, Allen, Mitchell, Dez) remain positive. While they struggled they seemed like a pretty tight nit group last year.

• 3 weeks later...

Rumors still flying around that Mitchell and Allen might be looking to leave. They are both in line for big minutes so if they leave that says something about what they think about Turgeon and the program. Faust, Shaq and Peters all left to get more minutes, these guys would be leaving just out of dislike for something.

Big blow to Terps if those players exit as well. This will be a 10-12 win team next season. You have to wonder if Turgeon has a mutiny on his hands. This can't be settling well with the chancellors upstairs. Wonder if Wells heads to the NBA as well.:eek:

I don't think Wells is going anywhere. Seth Allen leaving would confuse the heck out of me. I know Melo Trimble was a McDonalds All-American and I have high hopes for him but I don't expect him to come in and be great right away. When I watched him I saw a guy that was good and played with maturity but far from being a guy ready to dominate the college level. Seth Allen would be the best or second best scorer on this team next year.

Chuck Mitchell may have been told that they see him as best suited as being the energy big guy coming off the bench. Perhaps he wants to be a "starter." He seems best suited to be the guy that comes in for energetic spurts. Maybe the team has more trust in Dodd than we know. Reed and Cekovsky are far from guarantees and we all know Evan Smo isn't a classic big guy. But if the team sees a big role for Dodd that could potential eat into Mitchell's minutes. Still I would think Mitchell would still average 20-25 minutes even if he was coming off the bench.

Turgeon is denying these reports: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-nick-faust-oregon-state-20140430,0,599939.story

Archived