+ Reply to Thread
    wildcard is offline Plus Member since 11/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

HHP: No need to ask "Where's the beef".

With Matt Wieters (6'5". 240), Chris Davis (6' 3". 230) and Adam Jones (6' 3" 225) already in the weight room the O's have added Nelson Cruz (6' 2, 230) and Delmon Young (6' 3", 240). We know where the beef is.

Yesterday's 14-5 win over the Yankees kind of changed the early season perceptive for me. Adding the power of Cruz and Young to the O's has elevated the team that led all of baseball in homers with 212 to a new level. The barrage is just beginning.

Young who was the #1 pick in the 2003 draft is no longer carrying around great expectations of high potential. He is now just one of boys hanging out in the weight room getting ready to mash.

We have already seen at Cruz's press conference how the core O's team has accepted Nelson. He kind of fits right in.

So maybe with Cruz in left the O's aren't the a better defensive team than in 2013 but they may score more runs.

So get ready of a summer of bashing, mashing and crushing. I think that is what we are going to see.

Mashing and bashing our way through the summer into contention - as the starting pitching improves - seems to be the plan. Go Os!

Man I sure hope so! My fear is that we may look at the end of the year and see a lot of runs scored, but we may find that a lot of them came in a handful of games like yesterday, rather than spread out more evenly throughout the year.

Quote Originally Posted by dan-O View Post
    Man I sure hope so! My fear is that we may look at the end of the year and see a lot of runs scored, but we may find that a lot of them came in a handful of games like yesterday, rather than spread out more evenly throughout the year.
    That tends to be how it works, unless you are incredibly lucky like the 2012 Orioles or the 2013 Red Sox. There is nothing even or standard about baseball. And one way of scoring runs is not superior to another. There are no style points from the East German judge.

Probabilities are great, but at it's core, baseball is a counting sport. Who has the most runs, 162 times.

JayThomas is offline Plus Member since 04/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    That tends to be how it works, unless you are incredibly lucky like the 2012 Orioles or the 2013 Red Sox. There is nothing even or standard about baseball. And one way of scoring runs is not superior to another. There are no style points from the East German judge.

Probabilities are great, but at it's core, baseball is a counting sport. Who has the most runs, 162 times.
    Great line Weams. Must spread rep. As Rick Barry used to say, "they don't ask how, they ask how many".
    Last edited by JayThomas; 04-09-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-O View Post
    This is a commonly held concern/perception, but last year our run distribution was very even. We had fewer games of 0, 1, 2, and 3 runs than most teams, and more of 4, 5, 6, and 7+ than most teams. It wasn't at all a feast or famine situation, and I don't see why this year should be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    This is a commonly held concern/perception, but last year our run distribution was very even. We had fewer games of 0, 1, 2, and 3 runs than most teams, and more of 4, 5, 6, and 7+ than most teams. It wasn't at all a feast or famine situation, and I don't see why this year should be any different.
    Interesting, I did not know that. Thanks!

QSII is offline Plus Member Since June 2009 Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Schoop.

El Gordo is offline Plus member since 6/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by QSII View Post
    Schoop.
    Yeah, 192 .192 .269 .462 whoop!

It seems crazy to me that Davis only has 5 lbs on Jones.

canonfaz is offline Plus Member Since December 2010 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I'll feel a lot better about the "Beef" after we plop another 14 spot on the skankees tonight at 7:05 PM ET.

Quote Originally Posted by spneca View Post
    It seems crazy to me that Davis only has 5 lbs on Jones.
    Most of that on Jones is in his trunk.

QSII is offline Plus Member Since June 2009 Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    Yeah, 192 .192 .269 .462 whoop!
    Figure that went 400 feet? Sure took a looooooong time to land.