Nationals fans angry about Orioles

blid

WASHINGTON (CBSDC) - A Baltimore Orioles billboard - featuring Adam Jones, Chris Davis and Manny Machado - has been strategically placed along I-295 in Maryland just before the Washington, D.C. border.

Chad Dukes of 106.7 The Fan offered his own harsh words about the billboard, Orioles fans and the city of Baltimore, and the confused allegiances of D.C. natives continuing to root for the Orioles.

"My personal opinion is, I don?t like the billboard, I wish it wasn't up, but I understand it.

"What I?m more upset with, is how many people in this area - it's almost like Stockholm Syndrome - it's almost like they've been kidnapped by another franchise, and they refuse to see what their actions are doing. You're taking money out of the pocket of your own franchise. You're going to spend your money in another state and another city that looks on us with disdain.

"I wish I could give you all a week to do sports talk radio in Baltimore and listen to the calls you get, and listen to what those people say about us, and about this market, and about these teams, and how they're booed and mocked and the vitriol. I don't have any of that. The Ravens could win a thousand Super Bowls or be contracted right now, and it wouldn't change my life at all. I just think that you would have some probably different perspective on whether or not you want to wear that stupid little bird hat, if you knew the way they feel about this area, and the people from this area."

More in the link:

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/04/15/this-orioles-billboard-is-less-than-7-miles-from-nationals-park/

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds spot on. People that hate DC teams are either old or just silly.

Just makes the City of Baltimore look bad IMO. People in DC don't hate on Baltimore like people in Baltimore hate on DC. That is the truth.

Teams I hate in order:

1. New England Patriots ( I think if they were playing a team coached by Satan himself, I would pull for them if they were playing the Patriots)

2. Yankees

3. Braves (damn chant)

4. Raiders (I am a Broncos fan)

5. Lakers

6. Heat

No teams in DC.

Sounds spot on. People that hate DC teams are either old or just silly.

Just makes the City of Baltimore look bad IMO. People in DC don't hate on Baltimore like people in Baltimore hate on DC. That is the truth.

Teams I hate in order:

1. New England Patriots ( I think if they were playing a team coached by Satan himself, I would pull for them if they were playing the Patriots)

2. Yankees

3. Braves (damn chant)

4. Raiders (I am a Broncos fan)

5. Lakers

6. Heat

No teams in DC.

I like D.C. A lot. It's just the Nationals I dislike.

I grew up in Northern Virginia as an O's fan along with all of my friends. We stayed O's fans of course. I heard all the arguments about Angelos from those who jumped ship, but the reality is that most sports owners aren't particularly likable and if you get caught up on that you won't like any team.

See, this is the reason why while I tried at first adapting the Nats as my NL team I just can't. What Dukes doesn't get is a lot of people around here grew up with the Orioles. When I was born in '87, the Senators were 16years gone and the Nats were 18 years from arriving. I spent my childhood rooting for the O's and while I don't begrudge people especially those with memories of the Senators or who were young when the Nats moved inI'm tired of the outright hostility by the Washington area media and that includes Dukes and some in the WaPo's sports department to the O's. I get having a problem with Angelos, I really do but there's never a word fromthose same people about how the Griffiths opposed Baltimore baseball in the early 50's or how Jack Kent Cooke fought football in Baltimore after the Colts left and this is coming from someone with no love for either the

Ravens or Redskins too.

Archived