Tim Berry is pitching for Bowie tonight.

weams

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>1-2-3 first inning for Tim Berry and he needed only 10 pitches. You can listen to the game live on 1430AM WNAV</p>— Bowie Baysox (@BowieBaysox) <a href="

">April 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent play by Schoop (Sharlon) on defense to THROW BEHIND THE RUNNER after he had hit a single to nail him after he had rounded the bag.

Somewhat reminiscent of 2 years ago when Machado picked up a slow roller down the 3rd baseline, faked the throw to first, and turned around and nailed the runner rounding 3rd base with a throw to Hardy (who was covering the bag on the play.)

Berry hurt his own cause in the 4th inning.

On an easy double play ball right back to the pitcher that would have ended the inning, he threw the ball low to second base, and they only got one.

The following batter hit an RBI-double before Berry got the next hitter on a groundout to end the inning.

It could have been worse, though. As mentioned before, an excellent defensive play by Sharlon Schoop picked a batter off of first base right after he led the inning off with a single. The RubberDucks actually got 4 hits that inning (a double and 3 singles), and netted only a single run.

o

TIMOTHY BERRY O (vs. AA-Akron, 4/17)

IP:. 6

H:o 5 (1 Double, 4 Singles)

R:O 1

BB: 2

SO: 3

Pitches: 87 (55 Strikes, 32 Balls)

2014 ERA: 1.00 (AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

10 (91 Strikes, 11 Balls)

14 (10 Strikes, 41 Balls)

20 (10 Strikes, 10 Balls)

24 (15 Strikes, 91 Balls)

71 (51 Strikes, 21 Balls)

12 (61 Strikes, 61 Balls)

o

TIMOTHY BERRY O (vs. AA-Akron, 4/17)

H:o 5 (1 Double, 4 Singles)

BB: 2

Pitches: 87 (55 Strikes, 32 Balls)

2014 ERA: 1.00 (AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

10 (91 Strikes, 11 Balls)

14 (10 Strikes, 41 Balls)

20 (10 Strikes, 10 Balls)

24 (15 Strikes, 91 Balls)

71 (51 Strikes, 21 Balls)

12 (61 Strikes, 61 Balls)

Berry is done for the night. These are his final numbers.

The Baysox just pushed 2 runs across the plate in the bottom half of the 6th, so he leaves the game on the winning end (not that he cares about that.)

o

TIMOTHY BERRY O (vs. AA-Erie, 4/22)

H:o 3 (1 Double, 2 Singles)

BB: 1

SO: 4

Pitches: 96 (60 Strikes, 36 Balls)

2014 ERA: 1.13 (AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

14 (81 Strikes, 61 Balls)

18 (14 Strikes, 41 Balls)

13 (81 Strikes, 51 Balls)

10 (71 Strikes, 31 Balls)

30 (16 Strikes, 14 Balls)

11 (71 Strikes, 41 Balls)

Berry and Wright should at least cost controlled members of the bullpen from 2015-2021. Let that sink in. That's the floor.

I can't agree with you on that one. The floor for any pitching prospect is labrum surgery --> out of baseball. TINSTAAPP.

Moreover, even for those who dodge injury, a bullpen "floor" isn't really true. Wright and Berry are on the same age/league trajectory: Berry in 23 in AA, Wright in 24 in AAA. I don't have AAA stats for pitching prospects yet, but I can tell you that 23 year old starting pitchers in AA become successful major leaguers (ie, >200 IP and >1 WAR) about 19% of the time. About 58% make the majors for at least a cup of coffee.

I don't have breakdowns yet for the stats put up, so that 19% is for every 23-year-old starter in AA. I have every hope that Berry and Wright will both be successful, but one of the things I've learned from my prospect project is that the concept of a prospect "floor" is just flat out wrong for all except the very best of the very best position prospects only. Almost ANY prospect can get injured, lose his command, not adjust to major league pitching, or just plain suck.

One thing you are correct about is that Berry and Wright are likely destined for the bullpen. "Star" pitchers are almost never relievers (I believe there were only 2-3 relief "stars" in my dataset out of several hundred major leaguers) and 23-yo AA players almost never become stars: the rate is only 2.3%. Some "successful" players are starters, of course, but the odds are good that Berry and Wright will be relief pitchers in the majors.

o

TIMOTHY BERRY O (vs. AA-Harrisburg, 4/27)

IP:. 4

H:o 9 (3 Home Runs, 1 Triple, 2 Doubles, 3 Singles)

R:O 9

BB: 1

Pitches: 69 (40 Strikes, 29 Balls)

2014 ERA: 3.86 (AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

10 (81 Strikes, 21 Balls)

10 (81 Strikes, 21 Balls)

30 (17 Strikes, 13 Balls)

19 (71 Strikes, 12 Balls)

Archived