Buck's decisions tonight

Frobby

1. I know he got away with it, but he should have yanked Tillman one or two batters before he did IMO. He was laboring badly on a freezing cold night. That's how you hurt a guy's arm. Sure I know Tillman was well rested and he can go 120 on occasion, but 122 in five innings is a lot of stress on the arm.

2. I loved his decision to stretch Matusz to 2.2. Good time to pull him, too.

3. I like him letting O'Day close it out. Now we have five relievers available for the day game tomorrow.

4. He got Lough in there for defense and he immediately threw out Bogaerts out at 2B.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Didn't watch the game, but sounds like he was giving Tillman some rope

2. Didn't like this. If tomorrow night we are up one in the eight with the bases loaded and Papi comes up, I want Brian to face him. I know we have Britton, but Matusz is in his head.

3. Save rule

4. Good work.

1. I know he got away with it, but he should have yanked Tillman one or two batters before he did IMO. He was laboring badly on a freezing cold night. That's how you hurt a guy's arm. Sure I know Tillman was well rested and he can go 120 on occasion, but 122 in five innings is a lot of stress on the arm.

3. I like him letting O'Day close it out. Now we have five relievers available for the day game tomorrow.

4. He got Lough in there for defense and he immediately threw out Bogaerts out at 2B.

With 9 straight games coming up without an off day, this cannot be overstated, especially with some of the early ones in there.

I wasn't happy with the slow hook for Tillman either. I'd rather Buck worry about Tillman's health than whether he qualifies for a win.

I don't agree with letting Matusz go so long. He needs to be available to face David Ortiz, who was out of the lineup tonight but who doesn't seem to be hurt according to news reports.

The Lough decision worked brilliantly, and really this should happen every time the O's take a lead into the late innings.

I agree with all points - but on #1 I will say Tillman needs to be our ace - and I think you have to let your ace go for the W there. If he had lost Bradley he was coming out - but I'm okay with giving him a shot to get Bradley- even though he was clearly fading fast. And if Bradley reaches he still hadn't given up the lead. I'm ok with rolling the dice on Tillman there.

I wasn't happy with the slow hook for Tillman either. I'd rather Buck worry about Tillman's health than whether he qualifies for a win.

I don't agree with letting Matusz go so long. He needs to be available to face David Ortiz, who was out of the lineup tonight but who doesn't seem to be hurt according to news reports.

The Lough decision worked brilliantly, and really this should happen every time the O's take a lead into the late innings.

Perhaps part of why he never came in was because Matusz was out there for nearly three innings...?

At this point I feel pretty comfortable if Britton has to face Ortiz in Matusz's usual spot tomorrow.

I know Matusz got it done but am I the only one who thinks he looks awful. 87-89 mph fastballs. He looked like he did as a starter. I saw an 87 mph fastball followed by an 84 mph changeup. Again, he got it done tonight but I don't like the way he looks. Probably the wrong thread for it, but Lombardozzi needs to make that play on Holt too.

I was unimpressed with Matusz.

Yes, we will need Britton to replace Norris sometime during Saturday's game.

I know Matusz got it done but am I the only one who thinks he looks awful. 87-89 mph fastballs. He looked like he did as a starter. I saw an 87 mph fastball followed by an 84 mph changeup. Again, he got it done tonight but I don't like the way he looks. Probably the wrong thread for it, but Lombardozzi needs to make that play on Holt too.

Matusz throws more fat pitches than just about any pitcher I have seen lately. I hold my breath every time he comes in.

Archived