Does Anyone Else Not Like the Replay Addition?

Old#5fan

I personally cannot stand the new replay rule addition.

I thought one of the knocks on MLB was the games lasted to long to begin with, and now we have this. I could see it being used in playoff games and WS but not for a regular game - one of 162 being played per team. Especially, I hate it on out or safe calls at first base during the beginning of the game or really at any time. I also thought it was a huge waste of time on that double by Markakis, yesterday, especially when it looked foul on the replay and they still called it fair. Even though it helped the Orioles in the end as it caused Lackey to have to throw extra warm up pitches, I didn't like it, and it was a waste of time that early in the game.

I absolutely find it absurd to stop the game, and force the pitcher into throwing extra warm up pitches that actually can be harmful as they add to his pitch count unnecessarily. I wish they would scrap this stupid experiement right now. Anyone else agree?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if they do use it during regular season games it ought to be limited to plays at the plate, and whether or not there was fan interference or if a HR ball is fair or foul. Otherwise, forget it other than in the playoffs or WS.

I'm warming to it. Though I do concur that it was silly for Farrell to use it on the first play of the game. Then again, I'm sure some people were hesistant about challenges in the NFL too and I think that's really benefited the NFL in the end. You're always going to have controversial calls no matter what happens but if you can mitigate them, I say go for it so I applaud the MLB for trying something. Sure would have liked this in the 1996

ALCS but alas that's life.

They need to fix the current transfer rule.

They need to make sure they have every angle the folks at home have.

They need to expand it to include neighborhood plays at second.

They need to get to work on balls/strikes next.

I actually like every ump having his own strike zone to some degree. I know that sounds silly but I think that's one of those zany things about baseball I like though I concede that it's really annoying to have an ump

who is woefully inconsistent or bad.

I think the main problem is the staffing in NY. They have guys monitoring 3-5 games at once so they are not on top of the play in the moment. For one play they couldn't find the video footage so they ruled inconclusive when it was obvious that the call was in error. If it was one guy in the both at the ballpark, he would have a decision by the time the umps got their headsets on. BTW can't they get the umps less clunky looking headsets? They look like something out of Back to Bataan. Oh and I am all for Robbie the robot calling balls and strikes. Sick of these monkey's strike zones.

They need to fix the current transfer rule.

They need to make sure they have every angle the folks at home have.

They need to expand it to include neighborhood plays at second.

They need to get to work on balls/strikes next.

Transfer is being changed at the all star break now.

Initially I was very much for replay. I like the idea of the technology helping to enhance the game without changing its core. However, I'm starting to turn on it. And its not length of game that bothers, its the utterly fake, "Oh it was a bang bang play, so here's comes the manager (slowly) out of the dugout to talk to the umps all the while constantly looking back to the dugout to see if he can end his fake conversation or officially use the replay."

It's so contrived. When Earl came out to argue, he came out to argue. He didn't drag his feet, looking back for some form of confirmation.

So I guess I like the idea of replay but maybe not the manager's challenge part of it.

The bottom line is that 35 plays have been gotten corrected that were initially called wrong, with one play that was incorrectly upheld due to technical issues (and that would have been upheld last year). That is a big improvement. Yes, they need to figure out the transfer rule, but that is a flaw with the rulebook, not with the replay system.

Archived