Blow for Yankees as SP Ivan Nova suffers partially torn UCL in elbow

xian4

Looks like Tommy John surgery

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Ivan Nova hits DL with partially torn UCL <a href="http://t.co/CQfyIEkyg7">http://t.co/CQfyIEkyg7</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/CBSSports">@cbssports</a></p>— Eye on Baseball (@EyeOnBaseball) <a href="

">April 20, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nova left yesterday's game quickly, and unexpectedly ...... the pitcher who replaced him got an unlimited number of warm-up throws because of this (a pitcher leaving the game because of injury, as opposed to a manager deciding to replace him.)

Singleton and Kay were wondering why, as they had not seen anything on the replay of Nova's final pitch that would indicate that he had hurt himself. Now they (and we) know why.

I wouldn't wish an injury to anyone. I hope the guy recovers and plays again.I just don't think this is as

big a blow for the team as it might be losing Tanaka, Kuroda, CC, or Pineda. Right there they still have

the makings of a great rotation.

Get well soon Ivan.

Tanaka and maybe Pineda are the makings of a great rotation. CC is cooked and Kuroda looks ready to break down at any moment.

The Yankees are on the thinnest ice of all the AL East teams and the first two games against the Rays are evidence of that. Right now they are reliant on a select number of very good players to stay above .500.

AL East is weak this year. How the loser Yankees are in first place is beyond me. Red Sox are not like last year and Tampa stinks. The division is there for the taking.

The AL East isn't weak. The starting pitching throughout the division has been hit hard with injuries though. It's too early to really determine who will finish where yet as teams go hot and cold all year long.

AL East is weak this year. How the loser Yankees are in first place is beyond me. Red Sox are not like last year and Tampa stinks. The division is there for the taking.

A little early to call the AL east "weak". Do you think it is due to is playing one another so much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Nova has TJ surgery, and that appears likely, he will be the 14th MLB pitcher this season to have the operation. And it's only April. That's unreal.

Somebody said, and I believe it might be the Original Tommy John himself said, at some point, each MLB team is going to have 70% of their staff already having TJ surgery at least once.

Tanaka and maybe Pineda are the makings of a great rotation. CC is cooked and Kuroda looks ready to break down at any moment.

The Yankees are on the thinnest ice of all the AL East teams and the first two games against the Rays are evidence of that. Right now they are reliant on a select number of very good players to stay above .500.

It's foolish to write off a guy like Sabathia. He's lost some velocity, but the dude knows how to pitch.

I think folks forgot how mediocre he was last season.

He was quite mediocre, and he has started slowly this year while showing a further loss of velocity. But I think it is dangerous to dismiss a guy with his credentials. He threw a pretty good game his last time out. He is traditionally a slow starter (4.12 career March/April ERA), so I won't count my chickens before they're hatched.

Archived