Dee Gordon legit shot at 80 steals

calmunderfire

This hasn't been done since the 80s. Probably because it takes an exceptional talent to do it and players are less willing to take off because of the cardinal sin of making an out on the paths.

But this guy flys. Easily the fastest guy I've seen in a long time on the diamond. He's starting to play everyday and his OBP is solid so far this year. That's the key, getting on base.

I hope he does it though. It would be pretty cool to see someone really bring back the steal.

He's starting to play everyday and his OBP is solid so far this year. That's the key, getting on base.

I wouldn't look for it to continue, his OBP is BA driven with a measly 5.6% walk rate. He's a lifetime .312 OBP guy over 700+ PA so I suppose there's hope and he is fast....

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, I've seen him. He's a more willing runner, but Gordon is faster. They timed them 1st to 2nd on steals on MLB network. Gordon got to the bag faster.

How many samples did they look at? Billy Hamilton is so fast, he stole 155 bases in 132 games in 2012. In that one season, he stole far more bases than Gordon has stolen in 200 career games (only 90 SB) and still had a better SB:CS ratio.

To be fair and compare their MiLB careers, where they played a surprisingly similar amount of games,

Gordon 497 games, 227 SB, 67 CS (3.39:1)

Hamilton 502 games, 395 SB, 84 CS (4.7:1)

It's not even close in terms of achievement.

Archived