Dempsey Accuses Toronto of Stealing Signs

brianod

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted the following comments after last nights game;

I agree with you 100%. Lawrie has joined the CHEATERS Club in Toronto. With their supposedly Canadian maple bats and the guy who flashes signs in CF this will be a bad series for us. It is what it is. Toronto crushes the ball with some of the longest HR'S you'll ever see. Their players know they are cheating and act like jerks on the field and in the dugout. Some day MLB will investigate. Their announcers even joke about their long HR'S in Toronto. They say on the air "Wow." How did he do that?

Lawrie I believe hit his first HR of the season the last Sunday game recently at OP. He hit a homer to deep left field that went to the concourse area where fans walk just below the lower reserved seat section. It was like a lazer. I was at the game Rasmus hit the two out two strike pitch to tie the game off Hunter on Saturday night when they were here recently. I believe they said it was a high outside 97 mph fastball he pulled and crushed to right field. They were still talking about this HR a week after he hit it and they wondered how he pulled that pitch and hit it that far. The guy was a bust with St. Louis and gets traded to Toronto and suddenly finds his HR stroke just like Bautista and Encarnacion. You can google the story from last season or the season before when the Red Sox bullpen saw a guy in the CF seats flashing signs to their hitters. I think they had already hit several HR'S that game and Boston stopped the game and told the umpires who made the guy move. I noticed after the last HR tonight they hit Buck was looking out to the outfield it seemed a long time. We need someone from the team to sit out there in CF and look for the guy. On their next long HR Buck needs to ask to see the bat and have it checked. Not sure about the rule on this. I know the old pine tar story but this is different. I haven't been watching Toronto closely this year when they bat to see what kind of bats they are using. Last year their HR guys were all using black bats. It's harder to spot anything on a black bat.

I'm not saying Toronto is definitely not stealing signs, as there have definitely been some sketchy moments with the team, but how exactly would this work? The players that leave Toronto as free agents or are traded are sworn to secrecy? It just seems like this sort of information would get leaked.

I'm not saying Toronto is definitely not stealing signs, as there have definitely been some sketchy moments with the team, but how exactly would this work? The players that leave Toronto as free agents or are traded are sworn to secrecy? It just seems like this sort of information would get leaked.

cmon being reasonable is no fun!

A quick Google search would find a lot of articles about this subject from various teams accusing Toronto (New York, Baltimore, etc.), players (Hammel, Russell Martin, etc.), managers (Girardi), with statistical evidence showing the surge in power there for the Jays versus away, amongst other things like anecdotal evidence, pictures taken of supposed sign stealers, etc. One thing is for sure...they've been caught a couple times. The question is: how often do they do it?

OK...I just checked some stats for Toronto:

2011:

Home - 103 HR & .759 OPS

Away - 83 HR & .700 OPS

2012:

Home - 102 HR & .740 OPS

Away - 96 HR & .693 OPS

2013:

Home - 95 HR & .759 OPS

Away - 90 HR & .699 OPS

2014:

Home - 11 HR & .791 OPS

Away - 10 HR & .660 OPS

So it seems like they are a definitely more productive at home, but I don't think it's enough to suggest they are cheating.

I posted the following comments after last nights game;

I agree with you 100%. Lawrie has joined the CHEATERS Club in Toronto. With their supposedly Canadian maple bats and the guy who flashes signs in CF this will be a bad series for us. It is what it is. Toronto crushes the ball with some of the longest HR'S you'll ever see. Their players know they are cheating and act like jerks on the field and in the dugout. Some day MLB will investigate. Their announcers even joke about their long HR'S in Toronto. They say on the air "Wow." How did he do that?

Lawrie I believe hit his first HR of the season the last Sunday game recently at OP. He hit a homer to deep left field that went to the concourse area where fans walk just below the lower reserved seat section. It was like a lazer. I was at the game Rasmus hit the two out two strike pitch to tie the game off Hunter on Saturday night when they were here recently. I believe they said it was a high outside 97 mph fastball he pulled and crushed to right field. They were still talking about this HR a week after he hit it and they wondered how he pulled that pitch and hit it that far. The guy was a bust with St. Louis and gets traded to Toronto and suddenly finds his HR stroke just like Bautista and Encarnacion. You can google the story from last season or the season before when the Red Sox bullpen saw a guy in the CF seats flashing signs to their hitters. I think they had already hit several HR'S that game and Boston stopped the game and told the umpires who made the guy move. I noticed after the last HR tonight they hit Buck was looking out to the outfield it seemed a long time. We need someone from the team to sit out there in CF and look for the guy. On their next long HR Buck needs to ask to see the bat and have it checked. Not sure about the rule on this. I know the old pine tar story but this is different. I haven't been watching Toronto closely this year when they bat to see what kind of bats they are using. Last year their HR guys were all using black bats. It's harder to spot anything on a black bat.

What does stealing signs have to do with power? I understand that the hitter would know what pitch is coming but that shouldnt equate to extra long homeruns. Are yoy suggesting steroid use as well? If a new report came out with a list of current steroid users the first 3 i would suspect would be bautista, encarnacion, and lawrie.

What does stealing signs have to do with power? I understand that the hitter would know what pitch is coming but that shouldnt equate to extra long homeruns. Are yoy suggesting steroid use as well? If a new report came out with a list of current steroid users the first 3 i would suspect would be bautista, encarnacion, and lawrie.

Because you're letting it loose with no fear of being fooled by the pitch, so when you square it up it's going a long way

Archived