Time to give another starter a chance

FanSince88

I've seen enough 4-5 inning starts from Chen/Norris/Gonzo.

This situation is completely unsustainable.

I realize Britton is doing fine where he is but there will be no bullpen left by the end of the season if this continues.

It is time for Britton to get a shot at the rotation. He may crash and burn but it's the only reasonable move to make at this point. Does anybody else want to keep trotting out starters that can barely even make it to the 6th inning, and not even that far many nights? It can't get much worse from an innings perspective than what we have now.

I really don't care which of the Chen/Norris/Gonzo trio goes to the bullpen; draw straws for all I care. None of the three seems very capable of consistently providing innings.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize Britton is doing fine where he is but there will be no bullpen left by the end of the season if this continues.

It is time for Britton to get a shot at the rotation. He may crash and burn but it's the only reasonable move to make at this point. Does anybody else want to keep trotting out starters that can barely even make it to the 6th inning, and not even that far many nights? It can't get much worse from an innings perspective than what we have now.

Which one of them? I think a 4.50 ERA in the AL East is fine for the number four and five starters. Just not the number three.

Which one of them? I think a 4.50 ERA in the AL East is fine for the number four and five starters. Just not the number three.

ERA is not the issue. Innings is. These guys are allergic to the 6th inning. I don't care if their ERAs are all under 3.00; one of them needs to go to the bullpen cause they can't seem to go deep into games.

ERA is not the issue. Innings is. These guys are allergic to the 6th inning. I don't care if their ERAs are all under 3.00; one of them needs to go to the bullpen cause they can't seem to go deep into games.

Untrue. ERA is. Each one of them could pitch another inning. Their ERA would rise. Besides, including Bud in the is wrong as well.

I really don't care which of the Chen/Norris/Gonzo trio goes to the bullpen; draw straws for all I care. None of the three seems very capable of consistently providing innings.

Britton would not have any better luck with his pitch counts.

As of two days ago, we were 7th of 15 in IP per start. I'm annoyed that Chen and Gonzalez didn't get that deep, but our staff hasn't been as bad as you think iona that regard.

Bottom line, the alternatives aren't that likely to be better than the guys we're using now.

As of two days ago, we were 7th of 15 in IP per start. I'm annoyed that Chen and Gonzalez didn't get that deep, but our staff hasn't been as bad as you think iona that regard.

Bottom line, the alternatives aren't that likely to be better than the guys we're using now.

With me I am probably overestimating how well other teams are doing.

One of the more interesting comments (to me) made by DD on Sirius-XM this morning was that the team will have to see how much minor league talent it is willing to give up to bring in a starter at the deadline. I didn't get the feeling that he's interested in standing pat.

I'm still struggling to understand what went wrong with Gonzalez in the fifth. Barely over 60 pitches, and he just falls apart. That's not the first time that's happened either, he had some of those games last year, most notably the one in Oakland where the O's had the lead like three times and still lost. I've been a big support of Miguel, and I still am, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy when his starts just inexplicably disintegrate like that.

I'm still struggling to understand what went wrong with Gonzalez in the fifth. Barely over 60 pitches, and he just falls apart. That's not the first time that's happened either, he had some of those games last year, most notably the one in Oakland where the O's had the lead like three times and still lost. I've been a big support of Miguel, and I still am, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy when his starts just inexplicably disintegrate like that.

That was a head scratcher today.

Overall we don't have better options in the minors and nobody with their career resumes deserve to be taken out of their spots.

Me too. 5 innings, 100 pitches again and again. It's ridiculous and it's crushes the bullpen.

I think Showalter should consider a two man starter team. Chen/Gonzo/Norris innings 1-5, then Britton/Matusz innings 6-9. No matchups on those games. Save the bullpen for the other games.

Archived