+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Too Early to be Worried about Jones' Power?

One Home Run so far 4 days into May; 6 doubles and a triple is fine but is this power outage going to be an ongoing problem? The OBP is .283 as well; very low. Hoping Jonesy turns it around soon; if so this lineup will be a monster even before Davis returns.

El Gordo is online now Plus member since 6/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    AJ seems to have an extended funk like this every year but he has improved each year as well, so I wouldn't worry. I would drop him down in the order, but I would do that even if he were hitting

I think it IS concerning that BOTH Jones AND Hardy haven't really driven many deep
    balls in recent weeks.Jones particularly seems in love with the ground ball in the
    infield. No lift on his drives at all.

vab is offline Plus Member Since 4/04 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    He probably forgot how to hit them

Season will go on, pitchers become fatigued, start hanging those sliders he likes to swing at. HRs will come.

RZNJ is offline Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    It's frustrating to watch but I'm sure he'll have an extended hot streak and back on track at some point. Too pull happy so far this season and that tends to be his biggest problem of why he can't take it to the next level as a hitter. Not to mention the obligatory plate discipline issue.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I'm sure Jones will have his hot streaks. However, he hasn't had only one HR in a month since May 2011, and that was a month in which he still managed an .853 OPS.

I think it's right about the time you can get concerned, but with an eye on the fact that he's very prone to streakiness. He could pop out of it at any time. Or this could be a really bad year for him offensively.

Birdland is offline Plus Member since 3/14 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Firestone View Post
    I think it IS concerning that BOTH Jones AND Hardy haven't really driven many deep
    balls in recent weeks.Jones particularly seems in love with the ground ball in the
    infield. No lift on his drives at all.

As for Hardy i think it's just a aging player.

Adam Jones could never take the bat off his shoulders for the next 5 games and have a better OBP than he has so far this year.

I wonder if Adam could hear the laughter that is coming from the opposing clubhouse when they look at video of him, whether he would be shamed into being more selective.

If he is the face of the O's franchise it is a very ugly face indeed.

If they could trade Jones to free up salary to sign Wieters I'd do it in a heartbeat.

ShaneDawg85 is offline Plus Member Since April 2009 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I'm more worried that he's not getting on base, not even at a 30% clip. It's one thing if you're not getting on base but you're hitting for power, Adam's done that before, Hardy's done that before. But, Adam's not doing either right now, and that's just not going to cut it.

If it weren't for infield hits, he'd be batting .150.

He needs to be moved out of cleanup post haste.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

vab is offline Plus Member Since 4/04 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    How many numbers does this man have to put up before people give him the benefit of the doubt? I've never seen an Oriole put up the numbers he has as consistently as he has and for the length of time he has catch so much flak on this board. It's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by vab View Post
    How many numbers does this man have to put up before people give him the benefit of the doubt? I've never seen an Oriole put up the numbers he has as consistently as he has and for the length of time he has catch so much flak on this board. It's ridiculous.
    He's also consistently frustrating, hence the flak.

Yes its too early. Good players have bad months all the time. Last June Adam Jones hit .237/.248/.386 and the year before that it was August where he stunk.

He is too young and in too good of shape for his early season struggles to continue imo. Just like Davis wont slug .382 all year.