The "You Might Want To Check Out What This Pitcher Is Doing" Thread

Moshagge3

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone here is watching the MLB network ... I totally agree with Harold Reynolds. It should be a one-hitter. The ball that dropped in right field was untouched ... that makes it a hit. If this ends up being a no-hitter, the league needs to review that scoring decision and reverse it. For the legitimacy of the sport, you can't contrive a scoring decision to get a no-hitter. Terrible.

If anyone here is watching the MLB network ... I totally agree with Harold Reynolds. It should be a one-hitter. The ball that dropped in right field was untouched ... that makes it a hit. If this ends up being a no-hitter, the league needs to review that scoring decision and reverse it. For the legitimacy of the sport, you can't contrive a scoring decision to get a no-hitter. Terrible.

Nothing in the rulebook says a ball needs to be touched to count as an error. In fact, I think it's ridiculous that scorekeepers will award hits on pop-ups that fall because of poor defense simply because nobody touched the ball. I made that same point in the game James Shields pitched against the O's where for a long time the O's only hit was an infield pop-up that Little League teams catch 99% of the time.

Nothing in the rulebook says a ball needs to be touched to count as an error. In fact, I think it's ridiculous that scorekeepers will award hits on pop-ups that fall because of poor defense simply because nobody touched the ball. I made that same point in the game James Shields pitched against the O's where for a long time the O's only hit was an infield pop-up that Little League teams catch 99% of the time.

Then do you rule it an E4 or an E9? I know that the scorekeeper ruled it an E9, but he never touched the ball. It's not his error. Same for the second baseman, he never touched it and it's not his error. Like it or not, that's how the game is scored and has always been scored. I don't always agree with the fact that you can't assume a double play,but that is another example of how the scoring mechanics work.

This is a contrived no-hitter.

Then do you rule it an E4 or an E9? I know that the scorekeeper ruled it an E9, but he never touched the ball. It's not his error. Same for the second baseman, he never touched it and it's not his error. Like it or not, that's how the game is scored and has always been scored. I don't always agree with the fact that you can't assume a double play,but that is another example of how the scoring mechanics work.

This is a contrived no-hitter.

I have no problem with giving them both an error, but if I had to choose one it would be the right fielder. On balls like those it's his responsibility to call off the infielder. It was an easy play that did not require extraordinary effort by a fielder. By the rulebook that's an error.

I'm technologically impaired tonight and can't seem to link the vid ... my case in point is the dropped fly ball by Wil Myers in the playoffs against Ortiz. Ruled a double. Myers just made a mental "error" and let the ball drop over his head. It's the way that the game has always been scored.

Another point by Reynolds is that it is not a routine play for a second baseman out there in right field on the shift. The miscommunication was a result of the play NOT being routine.

Moot point though, just saw the Ortiz hit.

I'm technologically impaired tonight and can't seem to link the vid ... my case in point is the dropped fly ball by Wil Myers in the playoffs against Ortiz. Ruled a double. Myers just made a mental "error" and let the ball drop over his head. It's the way that the game has always been scored.

Another point by Reynolds is that it is not a routine play for a second baseman out there in right field on the shift. The miscommunication was a result of the play NOT being routine.

Moot point though, just saw the Ortiz hit.

The Myers play is something I thought of too. And I think that should have been an error. When a fielder loses track of a ball, to me that's a physical thing that happened. A mental error is throwing to the wrong base or losing track of how many outs there are or something.

If it is an error in the first inning, then it is an error in the 7th inning of a perfect game. So glad Ortiz got that hit in the 9th. I wouldn't be opposed to changing the interpretation of the error rule and calling that an error in the future, but it has always been a hit in the past and it was a hit last night.

Archived