Just Keep on Winning the Series

Jonesy10

Tonight's loss stunk. It stinks that we haven't gone on a prolonged winning streak. But this team hasn't gone on that long of a winning streak since 2012, even though they've been a very good team. In 2012 and the first half of 2013, when the O's were rolling, they didn't pick up that many sweeps but they just piled up series wins. That what's this team needs to start doing. They've won just three series of 3+ games since the series in Toronto. They've gone 18-18 in that span, which isn't bad considering they've only won 3 series in that span. If they can start racking up some series victories, their record will become impressive in no time.

It all starts with the SP. All 5 guys have much higher 2014 ERA's than their 2013 marks. Davis, Hardy, Jones, and Machado are going to heat up too. The O's will have no problem making the postseason if they play the way they can!

No need to worry about the lack of long winning streaks or sweeps!

• Upvote 1

It still would've been real nice to pick up the sweep right before we go on to face the three hottest teams in the AL...

We don't play the Blue Jays.

We have three SP in question. Tillman, Gonzo and Norris. Who do we replace them with if they all have to goon the DL?

Can you pitch?

We have three SP in question. Tillman, Gonzo and Norris. Who do we replace them with if they all have to goon the DL?

I don't see Gonzo as a question mark. Lowest ERA in the rotation. Very good in '12 and '13. Rough April but great May. He may not go much farther than 6 innings but he will give you a good ERA for a back end starter.

I don't see Gonzo as a question mark. Lowest ERA in the rotation. Very good in '12 and '13. Rough April but great May. He may not go much farther than 6 innings but he will give you a good ERA for a back end starter.

About to go on DL

I'm not happy about the loss tonight.

We lost ...... PERIOD. I care about winning games. If the team is good enough, then the series record (as well as the overall record) will take care of itself.

There will be time enough for counting (series wins) when the dealing is done (in late September.)

In the meanwhile, I want tomorrow's game against Oakland badly ...... just as badly as I wanted tonight's game, and just as badly as I wanted last night's game.

I think Norris is considered to be fine. He shouldn't miss a start or need to be pushed back. Tillman, even after tonight, is still claiming to be fine physically and mechanically (at least he said he felt fine mechanically in the bullpen before the game, was just listening to him post game with Thorne). But yeah, I'm not really buying it.

I wonder if they'd consider adding Gamboa to the 40-man? Yoon just pitched tonight, so he's out of the mix for the next 4 or 5 days, Santana is not eligible yet, Gausman will be here on Saturday almost definitely... Gonzo is supposed to throw tomorrow before they make a determination but all the talk points to a DL trip, we'll see...

EDIT: Hunter will be back in the pen on Sunday, unless they decide to forgo the rehab appearance. So there is another arm.

Edited by Lester Freamon

I think Norris is considered to be fine. He shouldn't miss a start or need to be pushed back. Tillman, even after tonight, is still claiming to be fine physically and mechanically (at least he said he felt fine mechanically in the bullpen before the game, was just listening to him post game with Thorne). But yeah, I'm not really buying it.

I wonder if they'd consider adding Gamboa to the 40-man? Yoon just pitched tonight, so he's out of the mix for the next 4 or 5 days, Santana is not eligible yet, Gausman will be here on Saturday almost definitely... Gonzo is supposed to throw tomorrow before they make a determination but all the talk points to a DL trip, we'll see...

EDIT: Hunter will be back in the pen on Sunday, unless they decide to forgo the rehab appearance. So there is another arm.

None of this is all that encouraging. The best hope with Tillman is that it's physical. If not it could be a while before he finds it again. Don't know about Norris, but Gonzo looks destined for the DL. Don't have much optimism about Gausman, he's just not ready yet, IMO. We could go into a death spiral.

None of this is all that encouraging. The best hope with Tillman is that it's physical. If not it could be a while before he finds it again. Don't know about Norris, but Gonzo looks destined for the DL. Don't have much optimism about Gausman, he's just not ready yet, IMO. We could go into a death spiral.

We do have a rough schedule up ahead with offenses (Oak, Bos, Tor) that like to make pitchers work, well honestly not sure if Toronto makes pitchers work the way the A's and Sox do but in any case they are great offensively so I kinda assumed they did. So yeah, this was especially bad timing for Gonzo to go down, although there is still a small chance he'll avoid the DL. At least his injury is not considered serious. Also, when Johan is ready to come off the DL, and assuming he looks as though he can contribute based on his minor league starts, there shouldn't be any problem working him into the rotation.

Also agree that none of those options are especially encouraging. Chen, who I believe has good career numbers against Oakland, FWIW, needs to go as deep as possible tomorrow night. Gausman, I don't know what to expect but nothing would surprise me to be honest. If he pitched a great game and held his own against Gray I wouldn't be shocked. If he has another performance like he had against Detroit, that wouldn't surprise me either. Jimenez pitches on Sunday. He walks a ton of guys and the A's lead the league in walks. The only thing I got here is that the last time Jimenez faced a team that like to walk, the Twins, he had his best start of the season. Pretty thin. :)

• 2 weeks later...