3rd Round - Brian Gonzalez - LHP (Archbishop McCarthy HS, FL)

And with their first pick (finally)... the Orioles have selected Brian Gonzalez, a 6'3", 235 pound high school lefty from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Here is some video highlights

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cRuhCBlN310" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is a report on him, courtesy of Don Olsen from: http://bigleaguefutures.net/1/2013/08/13/2014-mlb-draft-profile-brian-gonzalez/

"Brian is a thick athletic build, filled out lower and upper torso that could transform a bit and lean out in a quality off-season program. He fits a Billy Butler type mold. He moves well for his size, below average runner, but good first step lateral agility to his right. Nice balanced rotational swing, little load, but not a concern with very good bat speed. He routinely makes loud contact and barrels up well. Brian turns on very good velocity with a line drive path, just a touch of lift. There is solid contact and a good deal of raw power, should be plus, maybe more from the right side. Good arm, but range and size limit him to first base, moves well enough that he should stick at the position. Good arm speed with a fastball sitting 88-90 mph. Flashes a decent break, but the power ceiling leave me with a position player tag on him."

Olsen liked him more as a first baseman as did Baseball America who listed him as a 1B on their Top 500. So, I guess that's a fallback if pitching doesn't work out.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian Gonzalez: baseball Player of the Year Class 5A-4A-3A-2A (Sun-Sentinel)

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2014-06-04/sports/fl-poy-all-county-baseball-small-0604-20140604_1_mccarthy-coach-rich-bielski-brian-gonzalez-rival-cardinal-gibbons

Gonzalez, who has signed with the University of Miami and is expected to be selected high in this year's MLB draft, was 10-1 with two saves in 17 appearances for the Mavericks (26-3). He pitched 69 1/3 innings with a 0.5 ERA and 129 strikeouts. At the plate, Gonzalez batted .342 with 18 RBI, three home runs, a .539 slugging percentage and a .495 on-base percentage. He also scored 14 runs.

Interesting pick. Seems like a bit of a reach for the 3rd round as a big bodied high schooler without much projection that isn't hitting 90 on a regular basis. But, I'm guessing he should be an easy sign which may have been the deciding factor.

Interesting pick. Seems like a bit of a reach for the 3rd round as a big bodied high schooler without much projection that isn't hitting 90 on a regular basis. But, I'm guessing he should be an easy sign which may have been the deciding factor.

Above-average changeup.

Archived