6th round - Tanner Scott - LHP Howard College (TX)

6'2 220

From a Perfect Game article in March:

Dickey heads up an equally-strong contingent of Texas junior-college arms, and could face a stiff challenge himself from fast-rising Howard sophomore lefthander Tanner Scott (No. 37 in PG?s pre-season Top 200), who is 2-1 with a team-leading 1.02 ERA in his first five outings, while striking out 25 in 18 innings. The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Scott has been clocked at 92-95 mph as a starter, and reached 97 in relief.

?Now that we have moved him to the rotation, he has been getting tons of attention,? Smith said. ?We revamped his delivery over the fall and he has shown the ability to pound the strike zone.?

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=9585

This season's stats: http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/bsb/2013-14/div1/players/tannerscottrfwk

13 games, 5 starts, 7-4 record, 1 save, 61.0 IP, 76 K, 2.66 ERA.

A nice power arm for the pen which seems like our strategy so far after the first pick. I still gotta think they are saving some money for some high upside high school guys later down the line.

BA scouting report: Ranked 184 on their top-500

Scott’s older brother Tyler just signed with the Minnesota Vikings after a stellar career as a defensive lineman at Northwestern. Tanner, a strapping lad himself at 6-foot-2, 210 pounds (but about 50 pounds lighter than his brother), has emerged as one of the top arms in Texas’ junior-college ranks after taking an odd route there. The Ohio native originally signed with Division II Notre Dame (Ohio), going 3-5, 5.55 last year before deciding to transfer to Howard (Texas) JC. Scott has shown premium fastball velocity from the left side, touching 97 mph and sitting in the mid-90s at times. The Texas Tech signee also throws a slider, but his delivery remains raw and his repertoire underdeveloped thanks to his lack of pitching experience. He struggled to throw strikes, with 45 walks and 76 strikeouts in 61 innings during the spring.

• 3 weeks later...

Scott signed for way over slot, $650,000 compared to $240,000 slot. Why so much, and what do the Orioles see here that makes him worth that kind of money? If he is worth that, then how did he slip to the 6th round? I have to say, I find the whole slotting system mystifying.

Scott signed for way over slot, $650,000 compared to $240,000 slot. Why so much, and what do the Orioles see here that makes him worth that kind of money? If he is worth that, then how did he slip to the 6th round? I have to say, I find the whole slotting system mystifying.

A signability question mark maybe?

• 4 months later...

His velocity sits in the mid-90 and has reach as high as 100. That will get you some money even if he has no idea where it's going.

Archived